TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stop Light Challenges

RUFDRAFT

I'm not condoning street racing.

But - what would it take to provoke you into a little "game" at a light?

I don't mean in traffic - or the Interstate.

But - a secluded stop-light. With no one around.

No pedestrians.

No strollers.

No bicycles.

No one - except you and the car next to you.

Would a car with less "power" egg you on?

Or - are you more of a Sportsman - one who gets energized by the challenge of "who's the better driver?"

(this site and myself does not encourage or endorse any form of driving in an unsafe manner - this post is stricktly hypothetical)

:shift:

Hypothetically speaking of course..

No one around, especially Johnny Law, wide open roads, no danger anywhere??????

I wouldn't need anyone at all beside me, hell I'd race myself.

But to answer you hypothetical question.......

ONE REV would be all it would take.

Hypothetically speaking of course...VERY LITTLE PROVOCATION NEEDED...The last time I had a car I could do this in was 1985. I was 21 years old with a brand new Mustang GT...I got into with a V8 Pinto (I'm almost ashamed to admit it)...And was promptly pulled over and cited. :fan:

ShelbyWise

I'm with Kaylan,

Being all alone...........

Just me and Eleanor................

Just crickets, and silence...........

then..........................................

Rrrooooaaaaarrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the goose bumps just thinking about it.

KingCobra.

Okay - update:

I've read a lot of "kill" posts on other boards.

Many people seem to think they've outdrived someone with a lesser-powered car.

I'm not like that.

To me - a "race" is two relatively equally-powered cars wherein it's more the driver than the car.

In other words, I don't brag about spanking a Prelude with my 350Z. I brag about spanking a 2004 Vette! :shift:

Okay - update:

I'm not like that.

To me - a "race" is two relatively equally-powered cars wherein it's more the driver than the car.

In other words, I don't brag about spanking a Prelude with my 350Z. I brag about spanking a 2004 Vette! :shift:

Ya got class, prof. 100% with you on that. But it sounds like maybe you took on a prelude or 2, eh? ;)

Wow, what a can of worms! LOL!

Ok, let me try to explain my whole point of view.

For me, it doesn't take much. It could be some punk shooting a smirk my way...........the resonating sound of a 4 banger revving at me...........someone who performs the "oh no you didn't" ricer fly-by. It takes very little to provoke me into a display of power.

My reasoning?

I know for a fact my car isn't the fastest out there. However, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to let some little Civic rev the piss outta their VTEC, dump the clutch, show me some torque steer, and think they killed a Mustang GT. I've read this crap on a zillion message boards..........all it takes is once, and the little bastards think "Wow! I'm faster than a Mustang! Hee Yah!". So, as a public service, I make it a point to show them that their Civic, nor their neon lights and fart cans can prevail over a Mustang.

At the same time, I think it's great when the lesser car challenges you, and just to change things up, you rev back, but take off at a normal pace. Not that I do that very often, but sometimes it's just nice to be an ass.

The above statements probably explain why my driving record is about as clean as a gas station bathroom.

I'm not fond of people who get in a right lane that is ending so that they can buzz in front of me. I'm going to have them end up behind me every time (including the sherriff car in San Antonio). Sorry, it is my way of punishing rudeness...

I guess I'm rude sometimes...sorry. :car:

Not sure I would be concerned about being rude, I would do the same thing and Have. Adding that it wouldn't take much for me either...having left a enough years pass by that my Ninja days are sufficiently behind me and my license no longer smolders when I expose it to air. I think I'm ready for some fun. Allthough after speaking with my Dealer I may not see my Car till December....Wicked crazy this waiting game!

Cheers,

Requis :shift:

Okay - update:

I'm not like that.

My dads 2006 gt took down a 350z, but there was no giving in on his behalf. He put up one hell of a fight.

nor i ...

i tend to play head games..

i tell them i don't dump the clutch for less than a grand, makes them weepy with their girl friend sitting there.

and the vettes smirk, but wonder what is really under the hood!

Wow, what a can of worms! LOL!

So, as a public service, I make it a point to show them that their Civic, nor their neon lights and fart cans can prevail over a Mustang.

I take the same tack as Michelle. There are very few serious cars in the area and gazzilions of wannabe's. Occaisonally I will bite on a flyby, very rarely will I find a straight up fight, and was destryed just once by a perfectly done Scooby.(not a kid, but an old school guy whos biggest lament was the stupid rear wing). I do however have a public service announcment I have perfected. If I am buzzed and they need a little edumacting, I will just track them until a clean light. Then instead of pulling up NEXT to them< i come to about 6 ft behind them. Of course they start high 5ing. Then I run to about 3500, and let the clutch out. The nose come up the speedo hits ninety,tach through 6000, and I have moved all of five feet. Then I let the tire smoke roll over them. The Next light is when I pull in front of them and let them have a GOOD LOOK. Don't F__K with the SNAKIES , you will get bit. BAD!!!post-142-1148746206_thumb.jpg

post-142-1148746206_thumb.jpg

At the same time, I think it's great when the lesser car challenges you, and just to change things up, you rev back, but take off at a normal pace. Not that I do that very often, but sometimes it's just nice to be an ass.

The above statements probably explain why my driving record is about as clean as a gas station bathroom.

I've said it before, Michelle... you and I would make a good team!

With the exception of the "gas station bathroom" driving record (only 2 tix ever), I've enjoyed showing off some American muscle once in a while. I've matured a lot since the kids came (have to be responsible!), but will still have a bit of fun when alone or with the wifey (she hates it!). Nothing too "Fast and the Furious", just a little to keep the fire going.

hypothetically speaking, let me go back say 30 years, "if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle" with that its probably been 30 years since I seriously took on a stop light challenge. The thought of stop light challenges on the street in any form is very immature.

I'm not condoning street racing.

But - what would it take to provoke you into a little "game" at a light?

I don't mean in traffic - or the Interstate.

But - a secluded stop-light. With no one around.

No pedestrians.

No strollers.

No bicycles.

No one - except you and the car next to you.

Would a car with less "power" egg you on?

Or - are you more of a Sportsman - one who gets energized by the challenge of "who's the better driver?"

(this site and myself does not encourage or endorse any form of driving in an unsafe manner - this post is stricktly hypothetical)

:shift:

Let me tell you what happen to me a year ago coming home from a car show with my 68 shelby.

I had to stop at a light not far from home when a rice rocket came roaring up to the lights with the stereo vibrating the street. He immediately kept revving up his engine I think he launched at 4,000 I can`t really remember anything after that other than seeing him in the distant in my rear view mirror. I broke into a sweat after that just the thought of what would happen if i would have got caught because I realized that my wife said she you would never bail me out of jail. So there is lesson to be learned ,do what your wife tells you & as life goes on you do get smarter .

Now to answer your question _ No one around & no Danger you say . Could Someone call my Wife

I love tellin' this story...

When I was 19 I owned a '69 Dodge Challenger, bright yellow, hood pins, 383, the works. It just screamed "Let's Race." I used to play drums in a local band. We had a 6 night a week gig at a place called the Rainbow Lounge in Newark, NJ. Every night I'd notice that a cop would sit behind this bank at a particular intersection and wait for speeders or red light runners.

Anyway, one night I stopped at the light and another car pulled up next to me rapping his pipes. So I rapped back. When the light changed, you guessed it, he took off like a bat outta hell, and I took off like an old lady. The cop got 'em. I pulled the stunt several more times while I worked at that bar, always the same cop, always the same corner, always the same situation. Got to the point where we'd wave to each other as he was getting out of his car.

Of course my punishment was that I always got my doors blown off!

hypothetically speaking, let me go back say 30 years, "if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle" with that its probably been 30 years since I seriously took on a stop light challenge. The thought of stop light challenges on the street in any form is very immature.

I agree... :baby::shift:

Cheers,

Requis

So your saying that you did indeed street race, in a time when the cars were way less capable, and lived to tell us that you NOW feel it was immature. Your opinion is duly noted. You realize of course with your new found maturity that you are in the minority in this particular constituancy(if people will be honest and cut the PC). Keep in mind that this car will likely exceed just about any posted speed limit in North America wound out in first. But thank you for never doing that. :hysterical:

Personally, I'm gonna go out and look for any "large block Mopar" I can find!! :spiteful:

Well, GTOs and those Hemi-wagons would be fun.. no, wait... even the base 'stangGT killed them both in the road tests I've seen. ;-)

Ah, does anyone remember the infamous Connecting Highway in Queens, NY in the 60s -- a divided four-lane linking the BQE and the Grand Central pkwy, set down below ground level with overpasses exactly 1/4 mile apart.... Zero traffic after 8pm -- had to be the best illegal racing in the east every weekend -- literally 100s of cars -- sometimes 600-700 'grudge' races in an evening -- no traffic, great road, no chance of hitting anything (except the other car or kissing the wall), and no police (mostly) -- it was a beautiful thing <sigh>

I ran a 427 'vette one night with my 68GT just for laughs -- he beat me by about 2-lengths (I was suprised I kept that close) but the exciting part was when he stood on his 4-wheel disks and I almost wound up in his trunk -- sideways... but never hit anything! After that adrenaline rush, I was a little more careful.

PS - If you take on any 'vettes you have an obligation to warn them that, at high speeds, their roof panel could be sucked off and they could be ejected from the car. Seriously, 30,000 'vettes were recalled today for that -- I kid you not -- it is on CNN as I keystroke this!

<the author of this post is merely recounting events of the past -- he is not endorsing or condoning street racing then, now or forever, Amen ;-)>

I won't race the moron-fartcan-civic drivers either...they don't deserve the gas money. The ones I like to race are the "image" crowd of BMW owners, and sometimes the "poor man's" Porsche 944 folks. As a matter of fact, there's this joke I tell about Porsches.....

What's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?

Answer: With a porcupine, the pricks are on the OUTside.

I have no illusions that my current '69 Camaro would even come close to keeping up with the GT500 I've ordered. I think my Camaro may edge out a current GT....but not the GT500. I've driven the GT, and it feels "close" to my Camaro. I'm just looking forward to driving a "modern" hi-perf car for a change...rather than sliding around in those vinyl seats like a drop of oil on a sheet of teflon.

By the way, "racing" from 0-60 seems perfectly legal to me...on a highway. :)

Come on job#1!!!!

How about on the first gathering. Totally stock Shelby's at the track. Lets see who the better driver is on the 1/4 mile and show those Chumps at you know where that this car is capable of way more in a straight line. Then we go to the same road course they were playing on and show them up there also.!!!!!

Archived