TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Glad to be aboard, thanks Suncoast Ford

Fl Cobra

Glad to finally become a part of the membership. Lurked around awhile and waited till I was able to purchase before joining. Have garnered some great info from here and just enjoy reading about what is happening in the GT500 community. Look forward to discussing the good and bad about these great vehicles.

Want to let you know how I came about getting my new 08 Red w/white stripes Shelby GT500. It's a little long but not to bad of a read.

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Buying Experience

On November 8, 2007, my wife and I went to the Tampa International Car Show to enjoy an afternoon together while looking at what the car companies had new to offer. Nothing really caught our eye as must have. There was plenty of, "...nice car, ...cool ride, ...yeah, I'd have a new minivan...," oohing and awing. It wasn't until I spotted the Shelby GT500 in Ford's display that the gotta have it juices started flowing.

Realization has a habit of just sometimes smacking you in the head as you enjoy that brief moment of automotive crack cocaine. I knew in my heart there was no way I would ever own a car like this new. It was not due to the MSRP (Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price) on the sticker, affordable with a lot of effort and sacrifice. It was due to the hated ADM (Additional Dealer Markup). To find a dealer who would sell this car at MSRP or below would be kin to looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Everything I have read and seen, both local and on the internet, had dealers asking from 5,000 to 20,000 dollars ADM over MSRP. Not only could I not afford this, but there is no way I was going to pay any amount over MSRP. Have never payed more on any car before and was not going to start now. The dream would have to wait for prices to get where they belong or my other option was to one day buy a GT500 used at a fair price.

Ah, but what a lusting heart will do to try and capture what it truly longs for.

That evening I decided to send out emails to a couple of Bay area dealers, one to the north and one to the south of me, about purchasing a GT500 at MSRP. Shot in the dark, but what the heck.

Email went something along these lines:

"Was contacting your dealership to see if you have any Mustang Shelby GT500's for sale at MSRP or below. If so I am ready to buy today. If you are asking over MSRP then I do not want to waste your time or mine on trying to make a deal. Thanks, you can contact me at ..." and gave them my name and home phone number.

The next day I received an answer to the email I had sent to Walker Ford in Clearwater. Their response consisted of a curt and to the point , "Sorry, 20,000 over." Honestly, it was the answer I expected. Was actually surprised they answered at all.

The other dealer, Suncoast Ford of Port Richey, also responded the next day. Not with an email but with a phone call. The manager, Chris, told me they did not have a new Shelby GT500 for sale at MSRP, but they did have a used 08 Shelby GT500 they were trying to sell for another party and he thought they could sell it for MSRP. The vehicle, he told me, was sitting in their showroom. It was white with blue stripes and only had 9 miles on it. It belonged to an individual who purchased it, took it home, and was immediately told by his wife to take it back. Long story short he brought it back to the dealer, Suncoast Ford, and asked them to sell it for him. After a few more questions about the car, I told Chris I would be up to look at the car later in the day.

As I walked into Suncoast Ford's showroom the first thing I noticed was on my right. A beautiful red with white stripes 08 Shelby GT500. The next vehicle I saw was the white 08 GT500 with blue stripes Chris and I had spoken about. The car was gorgeous. Hood was up, doors were unlocked. I walked slowly around the car looking for flaws - none found. Although the red GT500 was outstanding, I was quickly falling in love with the way this car looked. It only took an instant for the white with blue stripes to grow on me. The interior was perfect. And yes the car only had 9 miles on it. A 2008 model with 9 miles, considered used, and being offered at MSRP. Yeah, I could live with that. I mentioned to Chris my first choice would have been the red GT500 as I am particular to that color, as he would see when viewing my 07 Charger. Chris laughed and said, " I understand, but the red Shelby is brand new and never titled. We also feel due to it never being titled we can get more than MSRP on it." And as of that date he was correct. I had yet to hear of any Shelby's being sold at MSRP in this area.

Chris answered all my questions about the white with blue stripes GT500. Was polite and as helpful as anyone I've ever dealt with at any car dealership. His honesty about the situation, he even offered to let me call and talk the car's owner, made me feel reassured about the sincerity of the deal being offered.

I pointed out to Chris my vehicle, a Torred (red) 2007 Charger SRT8, and told him I would have liked to trade it in on this car. The deal could still be done he told me, Suncoast Ford would buy it. He asked his boss, Sonny, to appraise my car. Sonny, (more about him later) looked my Charger over, called a Dodge dealer about my vehicle -all in my presence- and made me an offer. A fair offer. Wanting to do the best I could I told Sonny before I committed to his offer I wanted to take my car to Carmax and see if I might do better. Promised him and Chris I would call and let him know where I stood by that afternoon. He understood, gave me a handshake and off I went.

Around 4:30 or 5 that afternoon I called Chris, asked if they could do just a little better on my car. They did. I then told Chris I was ready to buy and would there be a problem with coming up the next morning to complete the paperwork on the car. "No problem," he said, "Will give us a chance to get everything squared away with the current GT500's owner." And now the excitement begin to set in; I knew there would be little sleep that night.

The next morning, Saturday, November 10, 2007 as my wife and I begin our trip up to Suncoast Ford I began to wonder if maybe there was more to this deal than met the eye. I told my wife I had that feeling of "If it's to good to be true it probably is" weighing heavily on my mind. I kept going over and over any small detail which would derail the agreed upon transaction. All seemed fine, but I was wary still.

As we turned into Suncoast Ford's lot there stood Sonny, Chris's boss, with another gentleman introduced to us as Ted. Ted would be guiding us through the paperwork that needed to be completed before we would meet with the finance manager.

Sonny is the type of person, in my opinion, who comes across as honest and sincere in what he tells you. He has a gentle voice, a commanding presence, and is able to make you feel comfortable right away. I noticed from the day before he never interfered with any of his salespeople and was there to help as needed. He was upfront and neither hid or held back a thing as he worked with me on my trade. He also backed up his manager, Chris, on the deal being offered. There was no having to "go back to his office to see if the deal could be made," Sonny was right there, standing by, to approve the deal. Yes, I know that's his job, yet, not once did he come across as pushy, deceiving, or untrustworthy. Again, his honesty and sincerity made us feel like we were respected as both people and customers. It was Sonny's next words, however, which changed everything.

"Today must be your lucky day," said Sonny. The curious look on both my wife's and my face had to be obvious. "The owner of the white GT500 backed out of the agreed upon deal," he said. I thought, "...my lucky day? How?" Sonny followed, "However, we don't do business like that. We made you a deal and are going to stick by it. We know you like the red Shelby and if you want you can have it for the same deal. It's brand new, never titled, and you can have it at MSRP."

Our look of curiosity quickly changed to one of dumbfoundness. He, of course, had to tell us again because we still weren't sure we had heard correctly! I think my reply was along the lines of, "Your not kidding are you?" He assured us there were no strings or conditions attached. Just MSRP if we wanted it. He had made a deal and would stand by it. Needless to say, we wanted it.

I know, I know. They lost no money selling us the red 08 GT500 at MSRP. Not the point. They didn't have to sell it to us at all. Could have told us the owner of the white GT500 had simply backed out and were sorry to have wasted our time. I would have understood and walked away without any ill feelings toward Suncoast Ford. Remember, I never expected to be able to purchase a new GT500 at MSRP. The fact that Sonny and Suncoast Ford took the same deal we had agreed upon for the used 08 GT500, and applied it to a brand new 08 GT500 speaks volumes about the Dealership and it's people. There was a 15,000 dollar ADM on the red GT500 he offered us and I am sure they could have gotten a portion, if not all, of that amount if they had not sold it to me.

What did they gain from their actions? First and foremost, a customer who will be a customer for them any time I decide to purchase a FORD product. A customer who will gladly suggest to anyone interested in dealing with a dealership who will be open and honest with them on a new car purchase should visit Suncoast Ford. I do believe they went the extra step and treated me as I wanted and expected to be treated, both as a person and a customer, and for this I commend them. I hope to see them grow and prosper as time goes by. It is a dealership like Suncoast Ford that helps to erase out, with their honesty and integrity, the shadiness and con games the majority of us have come to expect when dealing on a new vehicle.

Suncoast Ford --Thank you for a great car buying experience!!

Congrats and welcome to the site! :happy feet: Nice color choice!

That's really a great story. Always nice to see someone that stands by his word. As Joe previously mentionned, a dealer like that would have my business for life! These guys certainly deserve it!

post-11385-1195669510_thumb.jpg

post-11385-1195669498_thumb.jpgDang! Just like first day of school...broke the rules!! Here are a couple of pics. Love the car

Great Story

Great Looking Ride

I'm Just across the State

Hope we get to meet up someday

I grew up in Largo :happy feet:

I miss the West Coast :banghead:

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me to the site.

This car is like Christmas every time I get into it (whether I drive it or not) :shift:

Only thing I have found strange about the car is every time I look at the odometer I've added more miles than I can remember! Or maybe is it they are just a blur?!

Sure hope the government doesn't find out how much fun this thing is to drive; afraid they may try and outlaw it.

Congrats on a great deal for a great car!

Looks just like my '07 Red Coupe and makes me homesick for my car, now parked in storage in Tucson, AZ while I'm in Korea.

Sounds like the folks at SunCoast Ford are straight shooters.

Have fun and drive a mile for me!

Keith

Glad to finally become a part of the membership. Lurked around awhile and waited till I was able to purchase before joining. Have garnered some great info from here and just enjoy reading about what is happening in the GT500 community. Look forward to discussing the good and bad about these great vehicles.

Want to let you know how I came about getting my new 08 Red w/white stripes Shelby GT500. It's a little long but not to bad of a read.

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Buying Experience

On November 8, 2007, my wife and I went to the Tampa International Car Show to enjoy an afternoon together while looking at what the car companies had new to offer. Nothing really caught our eye as must have. There was plenty of, "...nice car, ...cool ride, ...yeah, I'd have a new minivan...," oohing and awing. It wasn't until I spotted the Shelby GT500 in Ford's display that the gotta have it juices started flowing.

Realization has a habit of just sometimes smacking you in the head as you enjoy that brief moment of automotive crack cocaine. I knew in my heart there was no way I would ever own a car like this new. It was not due to the MSRP (Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price) on the sticker, affordable with a lot of effort and sacrifice. It was due to the hated ADM (Additional Dealer Markup). To find a dealer who would sell this car at MSRP or below would be kin to looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Everything I have read and seen, both local and on the internet, had dealers asking from 5,000 to 20,000 dollars ADM over MSRP. Not only could I not afford this, but there is no way I was going to pay any amount over MSRP. Have never payed more on any car before and was not going to start now. The dream would have to wait for prices to get where they belong or my other option was to one day buy a GT500 used at a fair price.

Ah, but what a lusting heart will do to try and capture what it truly longs for.

That evening I decided to send out emails to a couple of Bay area dealers, one to the north and one to the south of me, about purchasing a GT500 at MSRP. Shot in the dark, but what the heck.

Email went something along these lines:

"Was contacting your dealership to see if you have any Mustang Shelby GT500's for sale at MSRP or below. If so I am ready to buy today. If you are asking over MSRP then I do not want to waste your time or mine on trying to make a deal. Thanks, you can contact me at ..." and gave them my name and home phone number.

The next day I received an answer to the email I had sent to Walker Ford in Clearwater. Their response consisted of a curt and to the point , "Sorry, 20,000 over." Honestly, it was the answer I expected. Was actually surprised they answered at all.

The other dealer, Suncoast Ford of Port Richey, also responded the next day. Not with an email but with a phone call. The manager, Chris, told me they did not have a new Shelby GT500 for sale at MSRP, but they did have a used 08 Shelby GT500 they were trying to sell for another party and he thought they could sell it for MSRP. The vehicle, he told me, was sitting in their showroom. It was white with blue stripes and only had 9 miles on it. It belonged to an individual who purchased it, took it home, and was immediately told by his wife to take it back. Long story short he brought it back to the dealer, Suncoast Ford, and asked them to sell it for him. After a few more questions about the car, I told Chris I would be up to look at the car later in the day.

As I walked into Suncoast Ford's showroom the first thing I noticed was on my right. A beautiful red with white stripes 08 Shelby GT500. The next vehicle I saw was the white 08 GT500 with blue stripes Chris and I had spoken about. The car was gorgeous. Hood was up, doors were unlocked. I walked slowly around the car looking for flaws - none found. Although the red GT500 was outstanding, I was quickly falling in love with the way this car looked. It only took an instant for the white with blue stripes to grow on me. The interior was perfect. And yes the car only had 9 miles on it. A 2008 model with 9 miles, considered used, and being offered at MSRP. Yeah, I could live with that. I mentioned to Chris my first choice would have been the red GT500 as I am particular to that color, as he would see when viewing my 07 Charger. Chris laughed and said, " I understand, but the red Shelby is brand new and never titled. We also feel due to it never being titled we can get more than MSRP on it." And as of that date he was correct. I had yet to hear of any Shelby's being sold at MSRP in this area.

Chris answered all my questions about the white with blue stripes GT500. Was polite and as helpful as anyone I've ever dealt with at any car dealership. His honesty about the situation, he even offered to let me call and talk the car's owner, made me feel reassured about the sincerity of the deal being offered.

I pointed out to Chris my vehicle, a Torred (red) 2007 Charger SRT8, and told him I would have liked to trade it in on this car. The deal could still be done he told me, Suncoast Ford would buy it. He asked his boss, Sonny, to appraise my car. Sonny, (more about him later) looked my Charger over, called a Dodge dealer about my vehicle -all in my presence- and made me an offer. A fair offer. Wanting to do the best I could I told Sonny before I committed to his offer I wanted to take my car to Carmax and see if I might do better. Promised him and Chris I would call and let him know where I stood by that afternoon. He understood, gave me a handshake and off I went.

Around 4:30 or 5 that afternoon I called Chris, asked if they could do just a little better on my car. They did. I then told Chris I was ready to buy and would there be a problem with coming up the next morning to complete the paperwork on the car. "No problem," he said, "Will give us a chance to get everything squared away with the current GT500's owner." And now the excitement begin to set in; I knew there would be little sleep that night.

The next morning, Saturday, November 10, 2007 as my wife and I begin our trip up to Suncoast Ford I began to wonder if maybe there was more to this deal than met the eye. I told my wife I had that feeling of "If it's to good to be true it probably is" weighing heavily on my mind. I kept going over and over any small detail which would derail the agreed upon transaction. All seemed fine, but I was wary still.

As we turned into Suncoast Ford's lot there stood Sonny, Chris's boss, with another gentleman introduced to us as Ted. Ted would be guiding us through the paperwork that needed to be completed before we would meet with the finance manager.

Sonny is the type of person, in my opinion, who comes across as honest and sincere in what he tells you. He has a gentle voice, a commanding presence, and is able to make you feel comfortable right away. I noticed from the day before he never interfered with any of his salespeople and was there to help as needed. He was upfront and neither hid or held back a thing as he worked with me on my trade. He also backed up his manager, Chris, on the deal being offered. There was no having to "go back to his office to see if the deal could be made," Sonny was right there, standing by, to approve the deal. Yes, I know that's his job, yet, not once did he come across as pushy, deceiving, or untrustworthy. Again, his honesty and sincerity made us feel like we were respected as both people and customers. It was Sonny's next words, however, which changed everything.

"Today must be your lucky day," said Sonny. The curious look on both my wife's and my face had to be obvious. "The owner of the white GT500 backed out of the agreed upon deal," he said. I thought, "...my lucky day? How?" Sonny followed, "However, we don't do business like that. We made you a deal and are going to stick by it. We know you like the red Shelby and if you want you can have it for the same deal. It's brand new, never titled, and you can have it at MSRP."

Our look of curiosity quickly changed to one of dumbfoundness. He, of course, had to tell us again because we still weren't sure we had heard correctly! I think my reply was along the lines of, "Your not kidding are you?" He assured us there were no strings or conditions attached. Just MSRP if we wanted it. He had made a deal and would stand by it. Needless to say, we wanted it.

I know, I know. They lost no money selling us the red 08 GT500 at MSRP. Not the point. They didn't have to sell it to us at all. Could have told us the owner of the white GT500 had simply backed out and were sorry to have wasted our time. I would have understood and walked away without any ill feelings toward Suncoast Ford. Remember, I never expected to be able to purchase a new GT500 at MSRP. The fact that Sonny and Suncoast Ford took the same deal we had agreed upon for the used 08 GT500, and applied it to a brand new 08 GT500 speaks volumes about the Dealership and it's people. There was a 15,000 dollar ADM on the red GT500 he offered us and I am sure they could have gotten a portion, if not all, of that amount if they had not sold it to me.

What did they gain from their actions? First and foremost, a customer who will be a customer for them any time I decide to purchase a FORD product. A customer who will gladly suggest to anyone interested in dealing with a dealership who will be open and honest with them on a new car purchase should visit Suncoast Ford. I do believe they went the extra step and treated me as I wanted and expected to be treated, both as a person and a customer, and for this I commend them. I hope to see them grow and prosper as time goes by. It is a dealership like Suncoast Ford that helps to erase out, with their honesty and integrity, the shadiness and con games the majority of us have come to expect when dealing on a new vehicle.

Suncoast Ford --Thank you for a great car buying experience!!

Congrats and a great story to boot! Nice to hear that there are still people in this world with integrity....

Cheers,

Tom

Keith, promise to put a mile or two on it this week just for you. Hang tough in Korea. All the men and women in the U.S. Military, no matter where located are heroes in what you do for this country. God bless ya and keep you safe.

Hope you can enjoy your ride soon. Rumor has it keeping 500 ponies corralled for more than a week or two causes them to become extremely irritable - even worse when penned up longer. Long stretch of open road (must be good to live in Arizona) , tankful of 93 octane, and no space between the gas pedal and the floor seems to be the only cure.

Super Snake, hopefully, one day we'll see each other on the road. Florida is a great place to drive around as the weather becomes cooler; able to go from one coast to the other and back in a day while just enjoying the ride! One thing about these cars you notice them from a mile off. When driving I offer up a salute to all Mustangers. Have found most have great admiration for their cars and most feel like we are a community tied to each other because of our love for Mustangs. Doesn't matter what year or model, V6s, GTs, Cobras, or GT500s, we are all part of the Stang family. Hope to salute you Super Snake, will keep my eyes out for a Performance White w/Vista Blue stripes when on Florida's east coast.

John

Archived