TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Optional Gears?

RUFDRAFT

I just read the reviews on the Car & Driver piece.

Apparently the Vette has 3.42 gears.

If Ford were to offer 3.73's - would you check that box?

(btw - what's up with 11 mpg? Gulp.)

Yes I would. 3:55 yes for a 'bit' more, 3:73's maybe............

I just read the reviews on the Car & Driver piece.

Apparently the Vette has 3.42 gears.

If Ford were to offer 3.73's - would you check that box?

(btw - what's up with 11 mpg? Gulp.)

yes ......that was the first thing I noticed when I sat down to order the Shelby. Thats all that available right now standard and no option available. I have 4.10's in my 05.....boy does she jump off the line.

post-4943-1148673818_thumb.jpg

post-4943-1148673818_thumb.jpg

Supercharged cars - most notably roots style blowers - create so much low end torque that gearing isn't nearly as important as in weak-motored cars. Actually, too steep (numerically high) gears are a waste in a blown car. The typical high horsepower blown Mustang runs best with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear max, while naturally aspirated Mustangs run best with a 4.10 or 4.30 gear. I personally went with 4.30's in my Mach 1, but in a supercharged Mustang anything beyond a 3.55 is not needed, and the factory 3.31 gear is probably just fine.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 26 2006, 05:11 PM) 15475[/snapback]

Supercharged cars - most notably roots style blowers - create so much low end torque that gearing isn't nearly as important as in weak-motored cars. Actually, too steep (numerically high) gears are a waste in a blown car. The typical high horsepower blown Mustang runs best with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear max, while naturally aspirated Mustangs run best with a 4.10 or 4.30 gear. I personally went with 4.30's in my Mach 1, but in a supercharged Mustang anything beyond a 3.55 is not needed, and the factory 3.31 gear is probably just fine.

You make valid points for street use but take it to the track with a set of slicks and skinnies and it's a different situation.

I KNEW I'd get some flames about that!

I got tired of looking at myself! As many others probably have, too. :hysterical:

Over on the 350Z boards, most folks had avatars other than cars. Here - it's different.

By the way - the "check is in the mail!"

Thanks again, man. :shift:

Exactly.

This car is not a commuter mpg car.

It's designed to PERFORM.

Bill ( and Hau) - can you hear us now?

I have to agree, RUFDRAFT, your new avatar is a BIG improvement. I hope your dad didn't mind that you kept posting his picture all over the Web? :hysterical:

Just kidding, man. Keep up the strong work. :shift:

Archived