TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 and 2008 tranny the same?

DarkShadow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somehow that info made it over here to the West coast too. :hysterical2:

That was sort of what I was referring to. The part number might be the same, but I'd be willing to bet that we would find a difference if we disassembled my tranny and one right off the line. I have no proof, but that's what my gut tells me.

That was sort of what I was referring to. The part number might be the same, but I'd be willing to bet that we would find a difference if we disassembled my tranny and one right off the line. I have no proof, but that's what my gut tells me.

I can tell you that as of Friday visual review of the tranny before it is mated onto the engine is showing no new changes on the splines or the clutch. Birdie can't see inside the tranny however.

I can tell you that as of Friday visual review of the tranny before it is mated onto the engine is showing no new changes on the splines or the clutch. Birdie can't see inside the tranny however.

So, my gut feeling might not be wrong after all. I'm pretty sure Tremec has been addressing the synchro issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here is the deal on the updated tranny's for the majority of 2007 GT500 owners. I now have an updated tranny over my previous one that was replaced.

You will get an updated tranny if you should need to have your clutch & tranny replaced for the grinding issue only.

The updated tranny over the standard equipped tranny has: improved surface finish on the imput shaft were the clutch splines engage.

You will get an updated tranny if you should need to have your clutch & tranny replaced for the grinding issue only.

Therein lies my problem. What about those of us who got the band-aid fix to get back on the road? I have the same problem as everyone else, but never got offered the tranny replacement - let alone the updated tranny.

I can't help but wonder whether damage was done to my (still) original tranny while my clutch was hanging/dragging. Damage that was not due to any fault of mine.

Ok here is the deal on the updated tranny's for the majority of 2007 GT500 owners. I now have an updated tranny over my previous one that was replaced.

The updated tranny over the standard equipped tranny has: improved surface finish on the imput shaft were the clutch splines engage.

The trannys are in short supply. I got this from my dealer last week:

As of Jan. 3, 2008 there are 18 units intransit to the packager with an eta of 01/04/08 to them, than emergency orders are to start filling the week of 01/07/08 to the dealers.

They are in short supply if your car isn't sitting at a dealer with the tranny and clutch out of it already.

My car was completed Sept 07 with a new clutch and a updated tranny. Now go back and look at how long you where advised of availibility and short supply.

If I may stir the pot a bit, heck it is my thread after all...

Anyway, I was asking a buddy of mine about the tranny issues and possible causes, who also happens to be the top driveability tech at his Ford dealership, not to mention an all around gearhead. He suggested that a lot of the clutch dragging/gear grinding issues could be a direct result of plain lack of use. A lot of these cars are gagrage queens or are not daily drivers. Rust or corrosion is then able to build up on the input shaft splines and cause things to drag and not disengage properly. When a car sees daily use, the constant actuation of the clutch keeps the splines nice and polished and free of corrosion. Now, I don't know what percentage of you folks that are having these issues actually drive your cars on a regular basis but it makes a bit of sense. So I think to get a better idea of whether this is a valid factor or not, we need to provide this info in the thread that is dedicated to this issue.

I could be way off base here. I just wanted to bring this up as a possibility. Sorry if this has been pointed out before. Only trying to help.

Joe

If I may stir the pot a bit, heck it is my thread after all...

Anyway, I was asking a buddy of mine about the tranny issues and possible causes, who also happens to be the top driveability tech at his Ford dealership, not to mention an all around gearhead. He suggested that a lot of the clutch dragging/gear grinding issues could be a direct result of plain lack of use. A lot of these cars are gagrage queens or are not daily drivers. Rust or corrosion is then able to build up on the input shaft splines and cause things to drag and not disengage properly. When a car sees daily use, the constant actuation of the clutch keeps the splines nice and polished and free of corrosion. Now, I don't know what percentage of you folks that are having these issues actually drive your cars on a regular basis but it makes a bit of sense. So I think to get a better idea of whether this is a valid factor or not, we need to provide this info in the thread that is dedicated to this issue.

I could be way off base here. I just wanted to bring this up as a possibility. Sorry if this has been pointed out before. Only trying to help.

Joe

You have hit the nail on the head. The corrosion is the symptom that that causes the clutch to hang/drag. It does make sense that a lack of driving could exacerbate the problem. However, the problem is directly related to a missing step in the assembly process.

For what it's worth, my car clicked off 9000 miles, in nine months, when it was diagnosed. It was driven in rain a few times, and even in a snow squall once. Not exactly a daily driver, but not a garage queen, either.

Good point Joe, and I can understand why one would think the issues coming from the lack of use. BUT my car/clutch & tranny issues gotten worse the more I drove it. My car went down and in the shop for repairs at 4478 miles. And this issue is occuring with cars with less than 200 miles which was the case of a guy who I spoke with Monday who is getting a new tranny & clutch this week. So the lack of driving can be ruled out in this case.

I was getting totally lock out of gears, car wouldn't move in reverse as if my emergency brake was on, clutch wouldn't disengage while driving. And coming to a stop in neutral the car pulls forward and once brake was applied the car would stall in neutral. My tranny was also getting stuck in 1st gear.

Now with the updated TR6060 and new clutch the car shift as smooth as butter. 5100 miles now with NO more issues.

You have hit the nail on the head. The corrosion is the symptom that that causes the clutch to hang/drag. It does make sense that a lack of driving could exacerbate the problem. However, the problem is directly related to a missing step in the assembly process.

For what it's worth, my car clicked off 9000 miles, in nine months, when it was diagnosed. It was driven in rain a few times, and even in a snow squall once. Not exactly a daily driver, but not a garage queen, either.

What is the missing step that you speak of, not lubing the input shaft on the assembly line? See that's the thing. My buddy has installed more manual trannies than most of could shake a stick at. He has never lubed the shaft, they have all been assembled dry and have performed properly without any issues.

I do see your point though. One would think that 9000 miles in 9 months is sufficient usage. My car has just over 200 miles on it, yeah 2 hundred. I of course don't have any issues yet, but like the rest of us I'm just waiting for the gremlins to appear. I'd rather head this off at the pass if possible.

Joe

Good point Joe, and I can understand why one would think the issues coming from the lack of use. BUT my car/clutch & tranny issues gotten worse the more I drove it. My car went down and in the shop for repairs at 4478 miles. And this issue is occuring with cars with less than 200 miles which was the case of a guy who I spoke with Monday who is getting a new tranny & clutch this week. So the lack of driving can be ruled out in this case.

I was getting totally lock out of gears, car wouldn't move in reverse as if my emergency brake was on, clutch wouldn't disengage while driving. And coming to a stop in neutral the car pulls forward and once brake was applied the car would stall in neutral. My tranny was also getting stuck in 1st gear.

Now with the updated TR6060 and new clutch the car shift as smooth as butter. 5100 miles now with NO more issues.

Well it is comforting to know that there is in fact updated parts for this. I shouldn't have any problem getting the proper service done if it is needed. I had my MACH 1 serviced under warranty a couple of times without a bit of trouble. He just drives the car to work, fixes it and drives back when needed. It's good to have an "in" at the dealer. They won't give him the runaround.

Joe

What is the missing step that you speak of, not lubing the input shaft on the assembly line? See that's the thing. My buddy has installed more manual trannies than most of could shake a stick at. He has never lubed the shaft, they have all been assembled dry and have performed properly without any issues.

I do see your point though. One would think that 9000 miles in 9 months is sufficient usage. My car has just over 200 miles on it, yeah 2 hundred. I of course don't have any issues yet, but like the rest of us I'm just waiting for the gremlins to appear. I'd rather head this off at the pass if possible.

Joe

Joe,

Go to the Tremec web site and pull up the T56 Service and installation manual and read thru it. It's 40 pages. I read it. They advise to grease the input shaft during installation and service. It's a step that they require.

Joe

Not to be a wise guy, but I bet they've put more manual trannys into cars at AAI than your friend has. They got it wrong before June 2007.

This clutch has twin cerametallic discs. My guess is that the cerametallic dust becomes corrosive to the tranny input spline and the clutch hub, probably more so in the presence of moisture - due mostly to condensation. I'm not confirming, or denying, that the teflon grease is the infamous "missing step" in the assembly process, but that same Teflon grease is supposed to keep the hub and spline from corroding.

If yours was built after June 1, 2007, then you likely have little to worry about. If not.....

Not to be a wise guy, but I bet they've put more manual trannys into cars at AAI than your friend has. They got it wrong before June 2007.

This clutch has twin cerametallic discs. My guess is that the cerametallic dust becomes corrosive to the tranny input spline and the clutch hub, probably more so in the presence of moisture - due mostly to condensation. I'm not confirming, or denying, that the teflon grease is the infamous "missing step" in the assembly process, but that same Teflon grease is supposed to keep the hub and spline from corroding.

If yours was built after June 1, 2007, then you likely have little to worry about. If not.....

No you are right, that's why I said "most". My car was built after June 1st I believe, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

Joe

So with all these tranny issues coming up on pre-June 07 production, is anyone aware whether Ford has issued a recall or a service bulletin? You know the ones I'm talking about, where you AREN'T notified of a likely problem until you take it in and complain.

So with all these tranny issues coming up on pre-June 07 production, is anyone aware whether Ford has issued a recall or a service bulletin? You know the ones I'm talking about, where you AREN'T notified of a likely problem until you take it in and complain.

They have not issued anything regarding the hanging/dragging clutch. They did release a service bulletin that instructs dealerships to apply teflon grease to the tranny input shaft when reassembling the transmission to the clutch. You know, just in case someone happens to pull their tranny for some other reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Are they the same or is the 2008 a newer/better tranny?

Thanks,

Joe

I have done some digging on this. Tremec's manufacturing facility started implimenting a revision to the input shaft on 8/9/07. That's the revision date on the drawings for the input shaft. On that date they changed the spec's to a much higher pin diameter on the splines and also started polishing the input shaft. What that means is the milling tool that makes the input shaft had it's tolorances adjusted to be a little wider in the grooves. We are talking 1000ths.

So with these 2 changes (tolorances & polishing) it helps the clutch dissengage much quicker and thus not keep the syncros loaded with engine torque. This fixes the spin down time and makes shifting smooth. With this change, and adding Teflon lube to the shaft, it really makes the tranny shift nice.

I am sure it took some time to produce the new inputshafts and get them into production, and then get them to Dearborn to use on the production line. I am also sure it took some time to use up the previous transmissions. So I am not sure when the transmissions started going into the 2008's. I also know that the old number on the transmissions is a TUET 5800 series. Some of those transmissions got the new input shaft. Each tranny has a metal tag on it, with some numbers and letters. Those numbers and letters can be decoded to come up with the tranny manufacture date. The manufacture date will have 1 letter and 4 numbers.

The new tranny part number is a TUET 8175 B series. If your tranny has that number on it, then it has the revision in it. If you have a TUET 5800, then it depends on the manufacture date if it has the revised shaft in it.

Also, there has been no other revisions to the tranny besides the input shaft. Hope this helps.

I have done some digging on this. Tremec's manufacturing facility started implimenting a revision to the input shaft on 8/9/07. That's the revision date on the drawings for the input shaft. On that date they changed the spec's to a much higher pin diameter on the splines and also started polishing the input shaft. What that means is the milling tool that makes the input shaft had it's tolorances adjusted to be a little wider in the grooves. We are talking 1000ths.

So with these 2 changes (tolorances & polishing) it helps the clutch dissengage much quicker and thus not keep the syncros loaded with engine torque. This fixes the spin down time and makes shifting smooth. With this change, and adding Teflon lube to the shaft, it really makes the tranny shift nice.

I am sure it took some time to produce the new inputshafts and get them into production, and then get them to Dearborn to use on the production line. I am also sure it took some time to use up the previous transmissions. So I am not sure when the transmissions started going into the 2008's. I also know that the old number on the transmissions is a TUET 5800 series. Some of those transmissions got the new input shaft. Each tranny has a metal tag on it, with some numbers and letters. Those numbers and letters can be decoded to come up with the tranny manufacture date. The manufacture date will have 1 letter and 4 numbers.

The new tranny part number is a TUET 8175 B series. If your tranny has that number on it, then it has the revision in it. If you have a TUET 5800, then it depends on the manufacture date if it has the revised shaft in it.

Also, there has been no other revisions to the tranny besides the input shaft. Hope this helps.

Welp, I guess that about sums it up. AWESOME info...thank you very much :)

Update.

The revision drawing was completed for the input shaft and released for production on 8/9/07 like I said, but it is real hard to pin down how long it took before this actually went into production. It could of taken 2-3 months from what I have learned. The only real way to find out if a TUET 5800 tranny has the revision in it is to inspect it. Sorry for that news.

All TUET 8175 B trannys have the revisions in it.

I was told that the TUET 5800 units were most likely sitll produced untill sometime in Dec. 2007.

My new 2008 tranny was produced Dec. 26th 2007.

I have a friend that got one of the revised Transmissions on Oct 22. 2007. He is going to check the manufacture date on the tranny. He believes it was manufactured in Sept of 2007. My thinking is that all trannys produced after Sept 2007 have the revised input shaft in it. Here is the secret decoder ring to figure out the manufacture date on your tranny.

Tremecdecoderring.jpg

Here is a photo to help you locate the tag on your transmission.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts040.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts037.jpg

This is what my tag says:

8R3V 7003 AC M2671

TUET 8175 B 61213

This is how to read my manufacture date:

M = Dec.

26 = 26th day of the month.

7 = 2007

1 = My tranny was built on shift 1.

Archived