TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 and 2008 tranny the same?

DarkShadow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum, my understanding is that it is the same trans, but there "may" have been some minor tweaks to it, nothing big, but I hate to state and be wrong. There are other guys much more knowledgeable who can explain some minor issues in 07MY that they corrected on the 08MY.

Hum, my understanding is that it is the same trans, but there "may" have been some minor tweaks to it, nothing big, but I hate to state and be wrong. There are other guys much more knowledgeable who can explain some minor issues in 07MY that they corrected on the 08MY.

I got to reading the clutch/tranny woes that some of you are/were having with your cars built before june 07. Makes me wonder if I should even bother to grab an 07 if one should become available. Honestly I'd rather have the 08.

I got to reading the clutch/tranny woes that some of you are/were having with your cars built before june 07. Makes me wonder if I should even bother to grab an 07 if one should become available. Honestly I'd rather have the 08.

Big debate and can go on for years. I could have settled for either, so long as I got my car, my way! However, there are plus and minus to each. If you are a true collector, and have aspirations for huge possible gains in 40 years, the 07 "might" fetch a higher number. But, if you are like me, I could care less and did not buy mine for a hopeful investment. That said, there have been several issues with early 07MY and minor other issues as well, that seem to have been corrected on the 08MY. Another plus to 08 is the addition to some cool options (HID, Ambient). I say, go with what you can get that fits your price and settle for nothing less that the exact car you want. Just my .02

Big debate and can go on for years. I could have settled for either, so long as I got my car, my way! However, there are plus and minus to each. If you are a true collector, and have aspirations for huge possible gains in 40 years, the 07 "might" fetch a higher number. But, if you are like me, I could care less and did not buy mine for a hopeful investment. That said, there have been several issues with early 07MY and minor other issues as well, that seem to have been corrected on the 08MY. Another plus to 08 is the addition to some cool options (HID, Ambient). I say, go with what you can get that fits your price and settle for nothing less that the exact car you want. Just my .02

Are there any 07 model build dates that are safe from these issues? I'd rather avoid any trouble if possible. Is June 07 an inbetween month that could go either way? For instance...say I find a vehicle built on the 10th of June 07 or anywhere in the middle. Or is it just vehicles built prior to June?

Joe

Are there any 07 model build dates that are safe from these issues? I'd rather avoid any trouble if possible. Is June 07 an inbetween month that could go either way? For instance...say I find a vehicle built on the 10th of June 07 or anywhere in the middle. Or is it just vehicles built prior to June?

Joe

PM someone like Shelbydude. He is a dealer and has access to exact data. I would have to agree that a June build would be nearly the same as an 08 with regards to fixes, less the new options for 08. However there was an engine upgrade of some sort that took place on the 08. He can fill you in more.

PM someone like Shelbydude. He is a dealer and has access to exact data. I would have to agree that a June build would be nearly the same as an 08 with regards to fixes, less the new options for 08. However there was an engine upgrade of some sort that took place on the 08. He can fill you in more.

I PM'd him and he was able to give me a bit of insight that I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up SLB8SNK, I appreciate it.

Joe

Job 2 GT500's the 08's have an updated tranny making it different from the 2007 GT500's. As to what is different, I do not know, but was told that the 2008 Tranny is upgraded over the 2007's from a VERY reliable source.

Found this out after having my clutch & tranny replaced in Sept. this year.

When you say job 2's, does that include all the 08's?

My car was built on June 10th :D

I dont think you will find much later than that, I think that was the 2nd to last week of 07 production

Tranny is the same minus the small things mentioned at least according to the info available

The huge difference is the harmonic balancer, other than that, they are the same and the tq management seems to rob more power on the 08s but nothing a tune cant fix

LSR,

Every year there is a Job #1 and a Job #2.

The current 2008's being built are Job #1 for 2008.

Job #2 for the 2008 MY will start After the new year holiday most likely.

The same Tranny and clutch that was put in the very first GT500 is still being put in it today.

The parts have not changed.

Umm, I heard Job 2 production just started for 2008, cuz I know the Bullitt and the red stripe models are both job 2 and didnt start production until December. So since there were already 2008s delivered, there must have been a Job 1 for 2008 too. I may be totally wrong, but that is my understanding.

I just saw Grabber's post...1+

Umm, I heard Job 2 production just started for 2008, cuz I know the Bullitt and the red stripe models are both job 2 and didnt start production until December. So since there were already 2008s delivered, there must have been a Job 1 for 2008 too. I may be totally wrong, but that is my understanding.

I just saw Grabber's post...1+

Job #2 has not started from what I was told. Last year Job #2 started the day after Christmas if I remember correctly. Job #2 will also be listed on all the window stickers.

I think there's some things getting confused ...tho not 100% certain, here's my understanding:

All 2007s potentially have the clutch-lube (lack of) problem, which may/may-not actually cause a problem.

All 2008s so far (from job-1 June '07 on) should be ok lube-wise and the tranny is the same as the '07s.

Job-2 '08s (next few weeks sometime?) are rumored to be getting some minor tweaks by Tremec (nothing to do with HP/Tq/capacity), just minor improvements as are typically incorporated over time.

Dan

Job 2 was scheduled to start on 11/30/07

OK, thanks for clairifying.

I do know that new changes in parts do not just automatically start on the so called Job#2. They use up the stock that is on the production line and then switch over after those parts are used up.....unless it is a performance or safety issue. This can happen before or after the cut off date of the so called Job #2.

I do know that new changes in parts do not just automatically start on the so called Job#2. They use up the stock that is on the production line and then switch over after those parts are used up.....unless it is a performance or safety issue. This can happen before or after the cut off date of the so called Job #2.

I just checked and now it shows Job 2 begins on 12/5/07 which is Wednesday.

There are a variety of treatments for parts changes. Some are called "use up and go" as you suggest above. Some are warranty improvement redesigns, which require financial analysis to decide whether the lower warranty cost from the new part will more than offset the cost of "throwing away" the old parts. Some are cost reductions, and these may also require financial analysis to decide when to implement. There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to these decisions...there is typically a cross-functional team within the plant that meets and decides on these items.

In our company, this team met monthly and typically tracked about 30 p/n changes per month.

Dave

LSR,

Every year there is a Job #1 and a Job #2.

The current 2008's being built are Job #1 for 2008.

Job #2 for the 2008 MY will start After the new year holiday most likely.

The same Tranny and clutch that was put in the very first GT500 is still being put in it today.

The parts have not changed.

My apologies fellas & thanks for clarifying Grabber. Some guy out west told me there was a difference, do you know this guy? :waiting:

Archived