TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clank Not CLink

My SGT has developed a clank sound coming from the rear. I thought it was something moving in the trunk, but I removed everything and it is still there. I have looked under the car, though I didn't put it up in the air, and didn't see any obvious signs of something hitting. I did add a watts link awhile back and everything on it looks up to spec. The sound occurs when I hit a bump slowly, like going up or down a driveway. It can also occur from lateral forces in a slow turn. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I guess my next move is to take it to the dealer. Any ideas???????

My SGT has developed a clank sound coming from the rear. I thought it was something moving in the trunk, but I removed everything and it is still there. I have looked under the car, though I didn't put it up in the air, and didn't see any obvious signs of something hitting. I did add a watts link awhile back and everything on it looks up to spec. The sound occurs when I hit a bump slowly, like going up or down a driveway. It can also occur from lateral forces in a slow turn. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I guess my next move is to take it to the dealer. Any ideas???????

My guess, its your watts link. Shelby Pilot posted about this try Rear suspension Upgrades :banghead: good luck

Shelbypilot did post similar issues with his Fays2, I've been in contact with Jim at Fays2 and he says if you have issues to call him and you should be able to square them away. Have you had the Watts link on for awhile with no issue and then it started or did it start as soon as you installed it ? Jim says they are shipping out a washer for the propeller mount that had a metalurgy probem making it to soft.

Clank not CLINK!!!!!!!Watch it buddy.... :headspin:

Clink

...hmmm, I guessing it just started since you didn't mention it on Sunday. The noise I refer to while driving slow is easily duplicated when you get under the car. I really believe mine is the control arms articulating over the ball joint end and making contact with the bolt, axle tube mount, or center link. If you so choose, you can get under the car and twist the control arms and hear the noise it makes. I refer to it as a clicking sound.

Pagerart, when exactly does it make the sound, i.e., does it only do it when you turn left or right or go over a bump, etc.?

It is kind of the sound you get when your spare tire is loose and the metal hold down hits the wheel. It doesn't matter if I am turning right or left. Any little bump seems to set it off. I especially notice it now that I have the rear seats down so I can hear better. It occurs even at very slow turns.

...hmmm, I guessing it just started since you didn't mention it on Sunday. The noise I refer to while driving slow is easily duplicated when you get under the car. I really believe mine is the control arms articulating over the ball joint end and making contact with the bolt, axle tube mount, or center link. If you so choose, you can get under the car and twist the control arms and hear the noise it makes. I refer to it as a clicking sound.

I thought it might just be something moving in the trunk but then I took everything out of the trunk, including the back panel and the trunk floor, Sunday night and I hear it more than ever. I looked under the car but can't see any sign of contact. Jim Fay mentioned there had been some failure of the bearings on the propeller but I tried moving the propeller and it felt very tight. If you are talking about the watts link control arms, I have tried to move them and there is no sound. I have checked the markings I made to see if the couplings moved and nothing has changed.

hmmm, I can duplicate the metal on metal sound when I twist the watts link control arms with my hand.

I know the sound your talking about, but this is starting to sound like flexing of the body or the suspension. It is getting more noticable so hopefully the dealer can figure it out. I can try torquing the bolts that hold the watts link to the frame. I went under the car today using my ramps and nothing seems to stand out. Thanks for the help.

Archived