TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Lancer #752

Spaulding

Guess I'm the first Shelby Lancer to check in here, #752. Although there is some reluctance amongst the Ford folks to acknowledge the Chrysler Shelbys during the '80's, the numbered Shelby Dodges are genuine Shelbys. Being new to this make, I just came to the understanding that Shelby is actually a separate vehicle make, built on the platforms of Ford and Dodge, as opposed to the Ford and Dodge INSPIRED Shelbys. It's interesting to me that on my numbered car that there is no Dodge badging anywhere, just Shelby. Kinda cool to have the real thing and at a bargain price! Their day in the sun will come I'm sure, but I'm enjoying restoring and driving mine now!

• 4 weeks later...

As the former owner of Shelby Lancer #407 I say welcome to the forum. You are absolutely right about the fact that the numbered cars did not have any Dodge badgeing on them. A few years back I was out driveing around looking for a good used minivan. As I passed a small dealer I saw a red Lancer siting right out front. The first thing I noticed was that there was no Chrysler emblem on the grill. I had read an article in Collectible Automobile Magazine just a few weeks earlier and I remembered the write up saying the cars had no Dodge badgeing on them. I went about a half a block made a u turn back to the dealer. Needless to say my search for a minivan was over!

Dennis

As the former owner of Shelby Lancer #407 I say welcome to the forum. You are absolutely right about the fact that the numbered cars did not have any Dodge badgeing on them. A few years back I was out driveing around looking for a good used minivan. As I passed a small dealer I saw a red Lancer siting right out front. The first thing I noticed was that there was no Chrysler emblem on the grill. I had read an article in Collectible Automobile Magazine just a few weeks earlier and I remembered the write up saying the cars had no Dodge badgeing on them. I went about a half a block made a u turn back to the dealer. Needless to say my search for a minivan was over!

Dennis

Pretty cool story Dennis. I've got my restoration on hold for the winter on the SL as my shop is in use for other things, but plan to hit it hard in the spring. Replaced a taillight and hatch struts so far, needs paint and a bit of uphostery to be good to go. Drives sweet, never had a turbo before, but like how she kicks in and takes off. So why did you sell, move onto another project?

Best Regards,

Mark

BudsCar004.jpg

• 1 month later...

sorry to burst your bubble but all the 86 GLHS' had Dodge on the drivers side front corner of the hood. Many leave the sticker off when they repaint, but on only the 86 did they use the Dodge name too. The back of the car says Shelby turbo intercooled.

post-11184-1200802140_thumb.jpg

sorry to burst your bubble but all the 86 GLHS' had Dodge on the drivers side front corner of the hood. Many leave the sticker off when they repaint, but on only the 86 did they use the Dodge name too. The back of the car says Shelby turbo intercooled.

The Dakota carried the Dodge name on the tailgate as well.

post-11998-1200803948_thumb.jpg

The tailgate had raised letters lol, hard to hide that. I couldn't remember as my 1207 red one didn't have the Dodge decals there. In fact with the red truck I added the red reflectors over the raised letters. In the early 90s those raised letters came as a reflector and looked pretty good on the Shelby.

01.JPG

Removing the Dodge tailgate decals was one of the first things I did to my S/Dak back in 04/89

Those tailgate letter decals really stood out on a white truck so they had to go although the raised letters were still there until the early 90's when I swapped one of the newer Dakota tailgates onto my truck. A much cleaner look.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. The only place I can find Chrysler or Dodge is on the vin plate on the SL. What about Shelby Fords? Did they take off all the Blue Oval badging also?

• 10 months later...

the other place the Shelby Lancer has a pentastar on it is on the door sill plates. They didn't change the plates like they did on the CSX, CSX T and CSX VNT. There is also a pentastar on the front of the head of the 2.2. Not many other places that I can locate.

Robert Meier

Shelby Lancer 249, original owner.

Interesting. The only place I can find Chrysler or Dodge is on the vin plate on the SL. What about Shelby Fords? Did they take off all the Blue Oval badging also?

the other place the Shelby Lancer has a pentastar on it is on the door sill plates. They didn't change the plates like they did on the CSX, CSX T and CSX VNT. There is also a pentastar on the front of the head of the 2.2. Not many other places that I can locate.

Robert Meier

Shelby Lancer 249, original owner.

Well theres a name from the past, Robert welcome to Team Shelby. Lets hope your second post doesn't take as long ;)

Its always great to have original owners that can bring their knowledge of how it was with the Dodge Shelby's to the forum.

Steve

Archived