TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC

ilmor

"Speaking strictly for myself and making a few assumptions based on what I have read, I feel that "greedy" is not only relating to the all mighty $ but also the need for total control, which is represented in this case by Mr. Shelby and his organization trying to gain control of anything and everything related to the cars, merchandise, regardless of how large or small the "business" and regardless of the impact it will have on others, especially on his fans and supporters of Shelby cars."

You may be right on this point . . . but from a business standpoint, having control over your market and customers and a handle on your legacy isn't a dumb idea. And it is hardly different than any other corporation dictating the manner in which their product is marketed, sold, presented, or otherwise. Think of the big flap with the iPod, YouTube, Ford and the various aftermarket Mustang vendors . . . are they all being "greedy" or just looking to protect their intellectual property?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I will play devil's advocate on this.

I only took a few of the points and my purpose is to not incite anyone. I hope we can go on with both clubs without the line in the sand and mudslinging I am seeing on multiple sites. I would like to point out that neither Team Shelby nor SA (and by connection Amy Boylan) are bringing legal action against SAAC although they seem to be the easy target for SAAC members. Please remember it is CSL and its lawyers. Passion is a great thing when directed but I hate seeing passionate people jumping on a train that they have no idea where it came from or where it will ultimately end up.

Maybe we can cease the attacks on our fellow enthusiast and let the legal system work. Again this was not me and not pushed by SA, Team Shelby or the US Military, who I work for so don't want anyone to take what I said and blame President Bush or whomever. :stop:

That last part was a joke in case no one realizes...

I will give you that Team Shelby will not become the next "Google", however, because it is supported by a multimillion dollar corporation (even if they do have financial difficulties) Team Shelby does have access to all of the resources of that company...from paper, phones, fax machines to data entry people, secretaries, etc which are already included in the expenses and payroll of SA resulting in lower overhead expenses for Team Shelby and hence greater profits.

My understanding is that Team Shelby is based out of Michigan. I doubt they will coordinate as much with SA in Las Vegas on a majority of these things. SA is running a business and may help out from time to time but I don't see it being cost beneficial for their people who are already working a lot to help out continuously or periodically with a club in another state.

I cannot speak for the "many" SAAC members although I must say that "many" may be a bit of an exageration as even if 100 members or even 200 members have been voicing their opinion that is still a relatively small % of the5000+ membership and should not necessarily be used as a complete generalization of the entire club.

Strange I have been picking up on the same sentiment on the reverse side. SAAC members (a few that post online) view all of Team Shelby as a whole based on the comments of a very few. So I can see why he put it that way....and understand your response. I agree the few do not represent the majority.

Regarding you second point, if he didn't like the direction SAAC was going, why didn't he say anything or try to work with them to move things forward. Why did he continue to attend national conventions all of these years, including SAAC 30...only 2 years ago? It seems that these drastic measures that he has recently taken could not be the result of him disagreeing with things for only the last 2 years.

How are we to know he did not? We have only seen a few statements from SAAC personnel and a few other sources before the lid was slapped down and legal silence begun.

This sentiment that SAAC does not welcome new cars seems a bit obscur. For Pete's sake Ford was at SAAC 32 with new 2008's and prototypes of a Ford-GT and GT-500. If SAAC didn't welcome or recognize these would they have "allowed" Ford to exibit as prominantly as they did?

What major car company would not go to a very large and established car show (with their target audience) and showcase future products?

At the end of the day, outside of modern technology, SAAC has never done anything other than support the Shelby brand so why not just leave them be.

Again we don't know all the details and probably will not until all of this is resolved, if even then.

Thank you for your feedback/questions.

Again we don't know all the details and probably will not until all of this is resolved, if even then.

Thank you for your feedback/questions.

I certainly agree with the point above...we like to think we know all the facts...but rarely are we privy to these things. As for why all the facts are not "laid out" for us?....it's smart business IMO to not air your laundry (whether dirty or clean) in front of your customers. Sometimes it happens (think about the Ford issue years ago with the tires...that thing got pretty ugly (oxymoron)). In the end, most cums

It is true that nature abhors a vacuum, so if we are not informed, we tend to speculate...but in the big scheme of things companies usually prefer this to a public disclosure of all the details...which then would drive a gazillion follow-up requests for more info and subject them to even more speculation. It's a vicious circle.

Dave

I support Carroll Shelby. He's the one with the reputation, done the work, taken all the chances and made his own career. SAAC has in the past done good for old shelby car owners. Why they would sue Shelby just shows me its more than a club. It's a business, and they make money off Shelby.

Just my 2 cents

+1

IMHO It's his name and he should be able to do whatever he wants with it. No one put a gun to my head to join... :yup::grouphug:

SAAC had to pull support as the RACE held at the event could not be controlled by SAAC thus creating an Insurance Liability. They do have many members who still attend the event. there is a lot of uneducated people talking about SAAC on this site and over time we will be around to address your questions.- Dave

uninformed, misinformed, possibly. Uneducated.... I'm afraid not.

SAAC letter. This weekend i received a letter from saac asking for money for a legal defense fund. I am NOT giving them one dime and neither should anyone else for the following reasons. From what both sides say SAAC had a licensing agreement with Mr shelby. Mr Shelby seeks not to renew the agreement. That is his right to do. I would also like to know if SAAC is a non profit. i dont think so!! I would bet that if Mr. Kopec would like to show the club financials we would be shocked with how much money they have taken in. Then lets see if we want to give them money for a legal defense fund.I dont understand how SAAC thinks a legal defense fund is going to change anything other then get somebody else agin to pay the bills. If the license expires in Jan 08 and carroll doesnt want to renew that is his right. Any first year law student will tell you that. Lets let the dust clear on this.

SAAC letter. This weekend i received a letter from saac asking for money for a legal defense fund. I am NOT giving them one dime and neither should anyone else for the following reasons. From what both sides say SAAC had a licensing agreement with Mr shelby. Mr Shelby seeks not to renew the agreement. That is his right to do. I would also like to know if SAAC is a non profit. i dont think so!! I would bet that if Mr. Kopec would like to show the club financials we would be shocked with how much money they have taken in. Then lets see if we want to give them money for a legal defense fund.I dont understand how SAAC thinks a legal defense fund is going to change anything other then get somebody else agin to pay the bills. If the license expires in Jan 08 and carroll doesnt want to renew that is his right. Any first year law student will tell you that. Lets let the dust clear on this.

Not renewing a licensing agreement is one thing and alot different than demanding all the records that SAAC has complied since 1996. He has a right to those records why ? He is trying to trademark the name SAAC. SAAC was formed over 30 years ago and suddenly he wants to take the name ? The core of SAAC has worked over 30 years making it what it is and now Shelby wants to take it ? What if you built your business up for 30 plus years and someone came along and attempted to steal the name etc ?

Some of the Regeinal Clubs are for non profit, Sacc has been for profit for years.

This whole thing is starting to "shake out" just as expected. I won't be pretty either as more automotive journalists & blogs catch wind of this fiasco.

Thanks for that link Tony.

Peter M. De Lorenzo is a good writer.

Regards,

Michael Mark, BSc. EEIM008346.jpg

Archived