TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally a forum where the Continuation series won't get knocked by the CSX "have nots"

CSX4206

This one might be worth a look. 427FE motor, red though... At Barrett Jackson in a couple of weeks:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application...mp;d=01/13/2009

Click on Day: All Days then Search and take a look at lot number 1246.2

you can find a few more here also,

http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I have a few questions for you folks that have a csx4000 series:

1) I understand it gets hot inside the car. Air is out of the question but what about the "fresh air vents" that are offered? Damn, to do both sides is allot of money (around $2k). Jeez, that seems pretty high for fresh air. It gets hot in the summer where I live. Is the car drivable in the heat without any extras?

2) What about a soft top? I have searched the web and have seen a few but does anyone here have any experience with one? If so, where did you get it and how much?

3) Tonneau cover is pretty pricey. Any aftermarket ones that are as good/better? What about a snap less one? Where do you get it. I saw one on the net that a guy had but he didn't say where he got it.

That's it for now. I am sure I will have more in the future.

Thanks, steve

I got the fresh air vents, they do help. I drove around this summer in the mid 90's, every little bit helps.

Can't help you on the soft top or cover, don't have either one.

I got the frsh air vents, they do help. I drove around this summer in the mid 90's, every little bit helps.

Can't help you on the soft top or cover, don't have either one.

Are the vents worth $2k? I am at the end of my money tree and I really can't add it. But, I want to drive it in the summer.

Are the vents worth $2k? I am at the end of my money tree and I really can't add it. But, I want to drive it in the summer.

Someone does make an Air Conditioner kit that you can install too. I remember seeing it somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find the pointer again. When my wife gave me permission I tried to explain to her what it was. It's a rough running race car dear. We can take it on weekend runs. Can we take it to Vegas? It doesn't have a hard top. Oh, well, we can run the air. What air? Look at the dash. Do you see any air vents? It doesn't even have a heater. The place where you'd expect the speedometer is a tach, and the speedo is a little gauge off to the right where you can hardly see it because the steering wheel is in the way. That kind of dashed it for a while. I like the price on the one on ebay though. Noodling.

Someone does make an Air Conditioner kit that you can install too. I remember seeing it somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find the pointer again. When my wife gave me permission I tried to explain to her what it was. It's a rough running race car dear. We can take it on weekend runs. Can we take it to Vegas? It doesn't have a hard top. Oh, well, we can run the air. What air? Look at the dash. Do you see any air vents? It doesn't even have a heater. The place where you'd expect the speedometer is a tach, and the speedo is a little gauge off to the right where you can hardly see it because the steering wheel is in the way. That kind of dashed it for a while. I like the price on the one on ebay though. Noodling.

Tony, the ebay CSX has been listed for awhile, you maybe able to pick it up cheaper. Either way, that's a real good price for a CSX4000. i'd skip the AC idea.

Tony, the ebay CSX has been listed for awhile, you maybe able to pick it up cheaper. Either way, that's a real good price for a CSX4000. i'd skip the AC idea.

I really don't think you want AC in a Cobra! The vents could be helpful. I put one on the driver's side only.

I really don't think you want AC in a Cobra! The vents could be helpful. I put one on the driver's side only.

4266 is a beauty! Ok, the driver's side is just under a grand. I am still trying to get a feel for driving it in hot weather. of course if it is 90 out the outside air is also 90. But, just how hot does it get inside? Thanks in advance. steve

I can't tell you how close I was in getting this car. The owner seems like a nice guy and I spoke with him over the phone several times. I was looking for a 5 speed and was stuck on a 427 motor. With that said, you can't touch one of these for what he is asking. I got the feeling he would go to $65k and I offered him $60k but he would not budge. He has some nice extras in including what appears to be the upgraded brake kit which I have no idea what the cost of that is. Throw in the 3m stuff and it truly is a great deal if you can overlook the 428.

I am still trying to get a feel for driving it in hot weather. of course if it is 90 out the outside air is also 90. But, just how hot does it get inside? Thanks in advance. steve

HOT!

As Hell!!

Seriously, the heat just boils up out of the footwell. During a poker run last year I saw 95* C on the engine temp guage, and I think that's how hot it was inside the car too. The OAT was about 100 and I spent too much idleing and driving slow. I have been seriously thinking about installing the vents.

Also, depending on your shoe size you may need special shoes. There is very little room to work the pedals, and I have to wear racing shoes or I can't step on only one pedal.

HOT!

As Hell!!

Seriously, the heat just boils up out of the footwell. During a poker run last year I saw 95* C on the engine temp guage, and I think that's how hot it was inside the car too. The OAT was about 100 and I spent too much idleing and driving slow. I have been seriously thinking about installing the vents.

Also, depending on your shoe size you may need special shoes. There is very little room to work the pedals, and I have to wear racing shoes or I can't step on only one pedal.

Can they be installed aftermarket? Maybe can get a better price than a grand a side.

It's like this. 4266 is very, very cold blooded. It takes awhile to warm up. Once you start driving, the engine temp rises, naturally. Even with the vent(s), the interior of the car still gets stinkin' HOT! I no longer wear shorts when I drive the car and I make sure there is no metal on my key chain. The metal in the key chain will heat up enough to burn your leg if you wear shorts when driving. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy your car. And YES, the vents can be added later. I did. Good luck and have fun!!!

It's like this. 4266 is very, very cold blooded. It takes awhile to warm up. Once you start driving, the engine temp rises, naturally. Even with the vent(s), the interior of the car still gets stinkin' HOT! I no longer wear shorts when I drive the car and I make sure there is no metal on my key chain. The metal in the key chain will heat up enough to burn your leg if you wear shorts when driving. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy your car. And YES, the vents can be added later. I did. Good luck and have fun!!!

Got it. Thanks for the info. Did you get aftermarket vents? Or, the genuine stuff? Hard to put in? How much? Whew, that's it.

HOT!

As Hell!!

Regarding the pedals...I wear a size 11 shoe and I found lifting off the accelerator to quick shift,my foot was getting caught behind the brake pedal (I power shift,but,not very often). I sent the brake and clutch pedal to Gary P. at Shelby and they offset bent both by 3/4". Big difference,so much better.

Regarding the heat,yes,it gets pretty hot at times,I haven't found it to be a problem I can't live with and I've been on the track several times when oat was 90 and better. Vents would be good,tho.

Mike

Upgraded brakes would be nice, mine are without a doubt the hardest (effort wise) that I've ever used. It's a matched set though, the clutch is also the hardest I've ever used.

My dealer said he could install the vents but I haven't gotten serious about doing it yet. I have to take the car back for a fuel leak when I pick up CSX8025, I'll probably have it done then.

Racing shoes are easier than having the pedals modified, and I prefer to adapt myself to the car not the other way around.

I no longer wear shorts after tattooing my leg on the side pipe.

As for a Cobra trying to bite you, mine immediately bowed down to my superiority and will, and acknowledged that I was the boss.

It lied to me.

It was just waiting for its time.

Back in the day, when I heard the stories about people not living to make their first payment, I always said that if you bought a Cobra you had to know how to handle a car like that. Now I truly understand. I'm sure a lot of those guys WERE good, experienced drivers. A Cobra is not forgiving. It is very narrow and way too short. It handles like a go-cart. It has way too much torque, especially for the way you can exit a corner with it. It demands (and from me it receives) a lot of respect. Just when you think you're OK it decides to step out on you, trying to stuff you butt-first into the weeds, and it can do it in the blink of an eye.

It is also the most fun you can have with your clothes on......

I have absolutely nothing to do with this ad, and I can't vouch for its authenticity, but this looks like it could be the absolute steal of the century here:

eBay Cobra CSX4374

It's a complete aluminum body car, CS aluminum block 427 with Tremec 5 speed for the (currently)price of an aluminum roller! Seller says it has 69 miles, still on MSO. It could be a real deal for an interested buyer.

If I had the garage space I'd buy it and hang on to it.

I have absolutely nothing to do with this ad, and I can't vouch for its authenticity, but this looks like it could be the absolute steal of the century here:

eBay Cobra CSX4374

It's a complete aluminum body car, CS aluminum block 427 with Tremec 5 speed for the (currently)price of an aluminum roller! Seller says it has 69 miles, still on MSO. It could be a real deal for an interested buyer.

If I had the garage space I'd buy it and hang on to it.

wonder where the interior plaque is :headscratch:

Tony, did you pick it up?

I wish. I think the auction "ended". The history shows all offers rejected, lasted one at $61K. He wants to sell but I think he's pretty locked in on the price. I just don't know about the 428. I'd think a 427 side oiler would be part of the legacy.

428 FE vs. 427 FE:

I went with the 428 and have no regrets. For me it was $$. The 428 was significantly less compared to the 427. As for performance, the biggest difference is in the higher RPM ranges. Most folks do not spend much time in the 7000 to 8000 rpm band. The 428 has PLENTY of low end torque. If money is not a factor, then go for the 427.And, if money is not a factor, go for the Shelby alumininiuium 427!! Have the big block power with the small block front end weight!

As for authenticity, MANY original(later) 427 Cobras came from Shelby American in the 60's with 428 engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived