TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Restoring my dream car

Hi Shelby nuts!

Im new to the site and I thought I would give it a test drive to see what this site is all about. Let me start by introducing myself and my toy. I own a 67 Shelby GT350 with 37,000 original miles. I was in the market for a Shelby for many many years, then suddenly they went through the roof in price. Needless to say that slowed down my hopes of owning a genuine piece of history. But, I wasn't about to give up. I knew the only way I could own a Shelby was to find a project Shelby. So the search began. After hunting down several Shelbys I found the one I wanted. She was totally taken apart over a 20 year span by the previous owners but, for the most part she was still complete. Now in her new home, shes going through a complete restoration and my goal is to put her back to her glory days. Time,money and sweat will make that happen. The pics below show how she sat in storage hell before going home to her new owner.

Jim

I think that's awesome! Can you tell us any more about the car's history? It's number, etc.? Congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure there are plenly of folks here that can help you along.

edit: Oh...I assume from your screen name that it is # 3000?

some additional pics as progress begins to take shape as of Nov,2007. A little history about the car:

It's documented with 37k original miles. Has been sitting in storage since 1986. Shelby #3000. 289 hipo, 4 speed, Lime Gold with 10 spoke aluminum wheels. The original build sheet was found under the carpet. The car went to a body shop for restoring. The owner of the body shop that was restoring the car back in the 80's died in an accident leaving the owner with a car totally taken apart. 95% of the parts were shoved in boxes and inside the car when it was recovered from the body shop. She sat in the owners garage since 1986 before finally being sold and now we have her and I hope to put her back to 100% stock. GOD WILLING!...LOL

Jim

Nice find! A buddy of mine is restoring a '67 GT500 and it was also painted yellow when he found it. It was also tucked away in a garage for the last twenty years or so. It was last licensed in 1979. My wife and I have owned a '67 GT500 for over 25 years, if you have any questions while you're going through the restoration process I would be happy to help if I can. Also, Dave Mathews the '67 registrar for SAAC is pretty helpful. Yopu can find his email adrress on SAAC's website.

Good luck! Post more pictures as the restoration progresses if you don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice find! A buddy of mine is restoring a '67 GT500 and it was also painted yellow when he found it. It was also tucked away in a garage for the last twenty years or so. It was last licensed in 1979. My wife and I have owned a '67 GT500 for over 25 years, if you have any questions while you're going through the restoration process I would be happy to help if I can. Also, Dave Mathews the '67 registrar for SAAC is pretty helpful. Yopu can find his email adrress on SAAC's website.

Good luck! Post more pictures as the restoration progresses if you don't mind.

Thank you!!..look forward to getting er done'

Jim

Welcome You won`t regret all the hard that is a head of you . Hopefully you have the door tag & ownership info & are sure it is true Shelby .If you need any help with this I can look it up in the registry for you GOOD LUCK.

Thank you. Shes real. Fender tag and inner fender Shelby stamps are intact. The car has been confirmed by SAAC as genuine and authentic. Shes coming along great. Thanks for any future help!

Jim

What a great project. I wish I knew someone with such a project so that I could volunteer my time just to gain the knowledge of how these cars are built. Have fun.

Thank you. Its a blast. I love getting my hands dirty. Ive been a mechanic for over 20 years. The best way to learn is to just jump into it and do it. It was fun tearing the car down and seeing the things that the Shelby assemblers did back in the 60's to this car. Tomorrow i will be hanging a new quarter on the right rear. It had a patch put on it in the 80's but they did a horrible job. Im to picky to leave it like that. :happy feet:

Jim

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you will be having fun with the build.

I have #3190. Its a GT 500.

Later

Don

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love the 1967 Shelby GT-350's. To me they were perfect. They had the most aggressive styling of all the Shelby Mustangs and handled so much better than the GT-500 due to the lighter small block. Like you I've been waiting to get my hands on one someday... With the prices these cars are fetching these days, I suspect I'll need to win the PowerBall first. :drop:

• 1 month later...

Archived