TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Holding a charge?

Some help from the true experts

please!

So last week I was preparing to wash the beast and prepare to put away for the winter, went to turn on to back out of the garage and......wouldn't start.

I've only got 1,157 mile since taking delivery in March.

BUT, I had not driven it for about six weeks due to work schedule, bad weather, etc..etc..

It started right up after a jump.

I've got an appointment at the dealer with the SVT engineer to go over all the connections etc...

But the service manager told me that the new Mustangs pull alot of juice from the battery and because I let it sit for a while, that is why its dead.

Doesn't seem right to me that a brand new car only 8 months old would run out of juice after sitting for only six weeks.

Any merit to this or do you think something is draining it?

THANKS for the help everyone.

please!

So last week I was preparing to wash the beast and prepare to put away for the winter, went to turn on to back out of the garage and......wouldn't start.

BUT, I had not driven it for about six weeks due to work schedule, bad weather, etc..etc..

I've got an appointment at the dealer with the SVT engineer to go over all the connections etc...

But the service manager told me that the new Mustangs pull alot of juice from the battery and because I let it sit for a while, that is why its dead.

Doesn't seem right to me that a brand new car only 8 months old would run out of juice after sitting for only six weeks.

Normal. It's happened to myself and others. Dealers that have had 'stangs sitting on their lots and not started/driven have had this issue.

I belive I have read in another post on the Shelby site site that this is normal for the newer Mustangs. I think the reason given was that the Shaker radios have a parasitic draw that will drain the battery if not used regularly. :nonono: There is also the anti-theft sytem. If you are going to store your car for the winter or if it's just going to be awhile between driving it has been suggested to use a battery tender to get the battery charged properly during storage. I know if I don't use my car this winter I will either hook it up to a battery tender or at least start and run the engine evry couple of weeks to maintain the battery and hear the growl :yup:

please!

Hey there,

Normal behavior. Just came from a Ford dealer as a Service Advisor - had this issue come in ALL the time. Suggested you start the car every couple of weeks at least. Maybe consider purchasing one of those battery minders (kind of a trickle charger) when you have it up for the winter.

Page

My vehicle sat on a dealership lot for a few months and would not only not start, but it would not hold a charge and the battery had to be replaced. I was told to always turn off the radio before turning the car off. Apparently there is an issue with the radio.

Good Idea to start and run the engine at least every couple weeks

to keep the battery charged and to keep the oil suspended on the engine parts.

Before I purchased my 07 Mustang GT,Damn near every car on the lot had a dead battery,Including the one I purchased.If the battery went dead and they charged it a cople of times it may never be right again,As they will only recover from a complete discharge so many times before they are no good.More advice,Seems most new alternators are only good enough to maintain the battery,So if you jump one off that was completely dead,You put a hell of a strain on the alternator!So best to try and fully charge the battery before you start it,I realize this isn't always possible so a battery tender is your best bet.

I belive I have read in another post on the Shelby site site that this is normal for the newer Mustangs. I think the reason given was that the Shaker radios have a parasitic draw that will drain the battery if not used regularly. :nonono: There is also the anti-theft sytem. If you are going to store your car for the winter or if it's just going to be awhile between driving it has been suggested to use a battery tender to get the battery charged properly during storage. I know if I don't use my car this winter I will either hook it up to a battery tender or at least start and run the engine evry couple of weeks to maintain the battery and hear the growl :yup:

FYI-You have to actually drive the car to get the alt. to charge the battery.The batteries in the new Mustangs will last about 3 weeks while parked.The electrical systems on these cars are what we call on the network.While these cars are parked and turned off the network actually powers 7 modules,anti theft switches and the amps in the stereo.After 30 minutes the network goes into sleep mode but still powers all items mentioned.If you pop the trunk or open the door the network wakes up and stays awake for 30 minutes as long as nothing else is used in the car then goes back into sleep mode.The reason you hear sometimes to turn your radio off before you turn the car off is the ACM or audio module draws 4 amps and usually the most likely module to go bad.If the ACM goes bad it never goes into sleep mode and draws 4 continuous amps till the battery is dead,which doesn't take long.Hope this helps.

When I put up my '66 Mustang for the winter, I always take the battery out of the car and keep it in the basement (warmer than the garage) and give it a trickle charge every 6 weeks or so.

Are there any issues taking the battery out of the SGT over the winter? I realize that modern cars rely on the battery to keep the computer happy. Will the car run rough when I reconnect the battery in the spring? Are there any other disadvantges of disconnecting the battery over the winter.

Thanks for the input!

When I put up my '66 Mustang for the winter, I always take the battery out of the car and keep it in the basement (warmer than the garage) and give it a trickle charge every 6 weeks or so.

Are there any issues taking the battery out of the SGT over the winter? I realize that modern cars rely on the battery to keep the computer happy. Will the car run rough when I reconnect the battery in the spring? Are there any other disadvantages of disconnecting the battery over the winter.

Thanks for the input!

Yellow pony,

I take my battery out too.I leave mine on the work bench in the garage but the garage is heated.I put a battery tender on it every couple of weeks.The factory recommends taking your battery out if your car sits for long periods.

There are no issues taking your battery out except that you have to reprogram your clock/radio.No the car does not run rough when you put it back in.No there are not any disadvantages only advantages.I have had my battery disconnected many times due to modifying my car and never have had any problems.If you leave the battery in and it discharges(battery goes dead)to many times it will reduce the battery life drastically

Archived