TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood scoop functional mod

There is probably a good, quality way to do this, assuming there is enough hood clearance under there, with a well'designed ABS duct system which could be routed over to the air filter area. All we need is a willing manufacturer!

Even if our scoops are in the right place,Not sure as wrong place could create the exact opposite effect,I wonder if our scoops could take the pressure!Don't know if anyone has noticed but if you get your car over 100 MPH,Yes I do speed occasionally :shift: ,You will get a lot of hood shake.Seems the design of these cars traps a lot of air under the hood area with no place for it to ventilate!So I wonder if a hole under the scoop might let the pressure out and therefore allow more cool air to get near the airbox as an added +.

Ah, so you are thinking that our hood "scoop" should really be referred to as a hood "vent"! Very interesting. We need a testing lab also!

Maybe our scoops should be turned to face the other direction! Hey...maybe that's part of the hood scoop fix SAI is working on... :lol:

Could be! :hysterical2: Chevrolet did a lot of testing on the Cowl induction scoop,Area of highest pressure was at windshield base,So without a windtunnel and the various related testing equipment I would see if someone had this info before I cut my hood!I don't know if you have noticed but any ram air kits pull air eiher between the hood and grill,Or just over the top of the leading edge.No one that I know of makes anything to convert our scoops or the Mustang GT scoops to ram air,so there might be a pressure problem or under hood clearance issue where our scoops are located.

Could be! :hysterical2: Chevrolet did a lot of testing on the Cowl induction scoop,Area of highest pressure was at windshield base,So without a windtunnel and the various related testing equipment I would see if someone had this info before I cut my hood!I don't know if you have noticed but any ram air kits pull air eiher between the hood and grill,Or just over the top of the leading edge.No one that I know of makes anything to convert our scoops or the Mustang GT scoops to ram air,so there might be a pressure problem or under hood clearance issue where our scoops are located.

Look @ the super snake shelby hood scoop location. Thats the location the scoop should be located when facing forward. There was a piece in a auto magazine about 15 or 20 years ago that tested the results of air presure in scoop location.The 68 shelby was found to have the best location for this type of scoop.

Ah, so you are thinking that our hood "scoop" should really be referred to as a hood "vent"! Very interesting. We need a testing lab also!

Maybe our scoops should be turned to face the other direction! Hey...maybe that's part of the hood scoop fix SAI is working on... :lol:

actually they have had a fix for along time now , its on the 08's !!! they have just been putting it off for some other reason !!! :hysterical2:

Even if our scoops are in the right place,Not sure as wrong place could create the exact opposite effect,I wonder if our scoops could take the pressure!Don't know if anyone has noticed but if you get your car over 100 MPH,Yes I do speed occasionally :shift: ,You will get a lot of hood shake.Seems the design of these cars traps a lot of air under the hood area with no place for it to ventilate!So I wonder if a hole under the scoop might let the pressure out and therefore allow more cool air to get near the airbox as an added +.

I have had the hood pins keep my hood down after a "ahem" higher speed run. Seems like you may be right as the GT500 has vents and the hoods do get alot of air trapped under them if my popped hood is any indication. Also noticed that the GT500 hood has a slight cowl up to allow a strut brace over the whipple. Interesting. BTW at dealership yesterday and both GT500's there had many bubbles in the stripes. Bummer.

Stump your funny, that thing is ugly yikes!

LOL, I was referring to the air routing plenum under the scoop. It routes from the scoop to the stock air box to allow fresh air into the engine thusly making it useful. The Jeep stock air box has an upturned "horn" that will fit into the opening.

I couldn't link just to the pic. The whole page had to come along with it...

LOL, I was referring to the air routing plenum under the scoop. It routes from the scoop to the stock air box to allow fresh air into the engine thusly making it useful. The Jeep stock air box has an upturned "horn" that will fit into the opening.

It would be cool if someone would manufacture a similar thing for Mustangs. That plenum is exactly what I was thinking about. I bet it would sell very well!

Cool now I am not so worried about you haha! :hysterical:

Ok so has anyone considered modifying thier hood scoop to flow cold air to intake? Not that I am itching to cut up my hood just wondering, this could be a cool mod.

Hey there,

I have often wondered why someone didnt come up with a kit to make the scoop on the SN95's functional. Wouldnt think it would be that difficult.

Page

An old timey trick was to cut a hole in the fire wall and pull high pressure cool air right from the HVAC inlet duct,Many musclecars of years gone by have had to get firewall repairs during restoration.Don't recommend you try this as it's for informational purposes only!

• 6 months later...
Ok so has anyone considered modifying thier hood scoop to flow cold air to intake? Not that I am itching to cut up my hood just wondering, this could be a cool mod.

I am fortunate to live near posies hot rods and customs. While not an inexpensive adventure, the car went in for a stb mod. Discussion lead to the hood scoop. They gave me my cake and ice cream. The scoop was reinstalled with the long riv screws, after, the scoop was made FUCTIONAL!!!.

I am fortunate to live near posies hot rods and customs. While not an inexpensive adventure, the car went in for a stb mod. Discussion lead to the hood scoop. They gave me my cake and ice cream. The scoop was reinstalled with the long riv screws, after, the scoop was made FUCTIONAL!!!.

What is stb mod? And you got any pictures? Thanks sounds cool. Great shop by all the mag cars I have seen.

The design of the GT500 was intended to resolve this exact problem.

The Shelby GT-H (CS6) hood would be cool if the vents were functional. And while I don't like the looks as much as the Hertz hood, the Terlingua hood appears to have functional vents, so it could be painted like the SGT hood while retaining the Shelby link.

Strut bar

post-10795-1214662118.jpg

post-10795-1214662118.jpg

Hey All,

Interesing conversation as I am preparing to have the CS6 hood installed and was pondering a retro-fix to make the back facing scoops operational.

On the same note, I own both the SGT and GT500, the GT500's hood is very stable, with little or no movement when at speed. The same can not be said for the SGT hood, the pressure at the point where the Cold air Intake is installed allows back pressure against it and raises the hood, good thing the Pins are functional.

My hopes are when I have the New Hood installed we will change the motor mounts, lower the block and get some plumbing a little lower in the bay, not to mention re-install the Brace removed for the Whipple Super Charger.

Moe in NH

a look underneath the funtional conversion

post-10795-1214662414.jpg

post-10795-1214662414.jpg

Archived