TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Navigation system offered any good in the Shelby's?

rown4au

Hi guys;

I am doing my research before I take the plunge next year and buy a gt500. I like the idea of an onboard nav system but I have never seen the system ford uses on the gt500 and know nothing about it. Has anyone used it before? Is it worth the bother? What do you get stereo wise if you have the nav system?

I have also considered buying a shaker 1000 and then replacing the head unit with an aftermarket stereo/nav system (thinking they may be better anyway) and keeping the stock one stored away in case I ever wanted to return it to stock.

Appreciate any advice/insight you might have.

Thanks

Hi guys;

I am doing my research before I take the plunge next year and buy a gt500. I like the idea of an onboard nav system but I have never seen the system ford uses on the gt500 and know nothing about it. Has anyone used it before? Is it worth the bother? What do you get stereo wise if you have the nav system?

I have also considered buying a shaker 1000 and then replacing the head unit with an aftermarket stereo/nav system (thinking they may be better anyway) and keeping the stock one stored away in case I ever wanted to return it to stock.

Thanks

I got it in my 07 GT & I like it. I like it better for the radio interface. The nav works well in most situations. It has lost it's mind once or twice finding an address in an industrial park. It won't work with the Shaker 1000 system, but you can get better aftermarket units. I here that the latest Pioneer unit (AV3?) is pretty good. I didn't want to mess with the electronics too much, so I just went with the factory nav.

I have the shaker 500, And I am looking to change it to a more user friendly system... I think I have found out is that its almost impossible to use a cell phone in this car... I would like to find something close to the stock system with bluetooth, Wish the new nsync system was available in this car... I am looking on a few sites for custom systems that will go into the car with out notice... Z

the factory Nav is a pretty good unit. the more you play with it the more neat stuff you find. i ordered a 08 GT500 with shaker 1000 instead of Nav. im having it made into a SS and dont think i will drive it on trips, so NAV didnt seem the way to go for me. my last 3 corvettes had NAV and really enjoyed it on them, but again these cars i drove on road trips and i dont plan on driving the SS very far from home.

i would tell that its just my 2 cents, but my wife told me i have NO cents!!

michael morris

Hi guys;

Thanks

My 08 GT 500 has nav. I like it, it's easy to get around in the menu although if I could do it over I would get the shaker 1000. I only drive around town and close to home. For what it's worth.

I have it in my 07 and I believe it is a Pioneer unit. It's the same nav used in all Fords. I like the touch screen - which my 05 Pathfinder does not have. Otherwise, the unit works just fine in comparison. Neither of my nav systems have real-time updates whcih is the next great thing to come. Nav is the future. You'll never use maps again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is a good system. I have it on my SGTSC and it is indeed made by Pioneer. I recommend getting it if you are inclined to do so.

I love mine and am so happy I ordered it. It can be modified to play Movie DVDs/PS3/XBOX360 and can even have a backup cam installed in it that comes on when you put it in reverse, it costs around 250 dollars to get these features unlocke from Nav2go.com

My friend has the Pioneer AVS3 unit and I think it sucks compared to my factory system, but I am also biased in that I like a clean OEM look.

Also its a must for Sirius since you can type in the station you want and dont have to click through everyone to get to what you want.

I love mine and am so happy I ordered it. It can be modified to play Movie DVDs/PS3/XBOX360 and can even have a backup cam installed in it that comes on when you put it in reverse, it costs around 250 dollars to get these features unlocke from Nav2go.com

My friend has the Pioneer AVS3 unit and I think it sucks compared to my factory system, but I am also biased in that I like a clean OEM look.

Also its a must for Sirius since you can type in the station you want and dont have to click through everyone to get to what you want.

where were you when i ordered my car!!!! :hysterical2: i might have done Nav it i could have upgraded it to play DVDs.

michael morris

Since you asked for opinions, here is mine, although it differs. My take on NAV is this:

- I have had NAV on several vehicles, and like it. Have it on my current Expedition as well. (Daily Driver)

- On the my GT500, I decided against it for several reasons:

1 - I think the car with the retro inside just clashes with modern NAV looks

2- I would rather allow the car to age gracefully then look at probably the only think that will look stupid in 20-30 years. (dated)

3- I think you can get a better deal on NAV ($200) and use it when you need it (long trips). Not needed on a joy ride car.

4- I think your money is better spent on the 1000 Shaker (more so if a vert) than on the dated NAV (technology changes quick)

So bottom line, If I was you (and I was) I would reconsider the NAV, more so on this car, and stick to something worth the money that will last and look good for years to come. Spend the extra cash on mods even.

Just my .02

I think if you pass on the Nav system because it will be dated in 20-30 years you might as well take that 100# weight out of the trunk called a shaker 1000. The thing weighs a ton. The 500 Shaker is more than enough for most people. As far as the way the system looks in the car I get more complimnets on the Nav system than any other single componet.

Let's face it, the sound and nav and everything else will be outdated soon on most cars. I see computers built into cars already not to mention blue tooth etc..

Just another view. By the way this car is not going to just sit in my garage. It will travel all over North America and I am going to run the crap out of it until the day I die!

Mark

I went to this site and could not locate the update you referenced at Nav2go.com?

I went to this site and could not locate the update you referenced at Nav2go.com?

So sorry I referenced a spam sight its this site I should have dounble checked.

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/ford-navigation-system.html

Just an FYI with the Ford system you have to have an external DVD player mounted, thats why its good to use a PS2/3 since it has a built in DVD player.

I think if you pass on the Nav system because it will be dated in 20-30 years you might as well take that 100# weight out of the trunk called a shaker 1000. The thing weighs a ton. The 500 Shaker is more than enough for most people. As far as the way the system looks in the car I get more complimnets on the Nav system than any other single componet.

Let's face it, the sound and nav and everything else will be outdated soon on most cars. I see computers built into cars already not to mention blue tooth etc..

Just another view. By the way this car is not going to just sit in my garage. It will travel all over North America and I am going to run the crap out of it until the day I die!

Mark

Ummm... not sure how the sound will be out dated unless you get Sat. The nav however is available all day, differing models, for as low as $100. As well the technology has changed so much in just the last few years alone (another reason they are $100 already) The 1000 is twice a 500 and will be good to go for unlimited years. I do not recall to many radios of the 60's that do not still get radio signals. :hysterical:

That's for sure. The NAV units seem to be upgraded and more sophisticated every time you look at one. I hope that the NAV in the GT500 is easier to use than the one I have. The NAV in my CTS-V has to be the most user unfriendly device ever unleashed on the public. You need to be an MIT electrical engineering graduate to operate the stupid thing. I gave up on it and didn't really have much use for it in the 1st place. You've got to wonder how many guys really need or use a NAV in a GT500.

Thanks for the +1. I will tell you, they are ever changing. I have had several in Ford's, the last two in Expeditions. I think they are OK, compared to (hate to say it) the imports like a Lexus. However, I bought one, a Magellan (on sale for just over $100) that is 100X better than the Ford system. That is all I am saying, is rather than spend money on something that is still evolving, put it in mods to a stereo upgrade (the 1000). Better spent, and will last the life of the car. Again, just my .02

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. After alot of consideration I went with the shaker 1000 and sirius sat radio as I am planning on having the car super snaked and figured I can use a portable nav unit when I take it on trips. Incidentally I currently have a tom tom go over here in Europe and it is miles more user friendly than any othe other units I have seen but don't know how popular they are back in the US of A so will see when I move back.

Now all I have to do is sit and wait for the new toy to be built, snaked, and delivered! :waiting:

Wow, a hundred bucks for a GPS. I haven't looked at those in a while. I remember when a guy I know put a GPS in an airplane a while back and it was around 15 grand! The 2 grand that Ford charges for the NAV could be better spent on a Stage II and some suspension goodies don't ya think?

Exactly! Go look in the circulars today.... start now until xmas! I have seen dozens of high enough quality GPS systems between $100-$200. They all do the same thing, point a to point b.

Ummm... not sure how the sound will be out dated unless you get Sat. The nav however is available all day, differing models, for as low as $100. As well the technology has changed so much in just the last few years alone (another reason they are $100 already) The 1000 is twice a 500 and will be good to go for unlimited years. I do not recall to many radios of the 60's that do not still get radio signals. :hysterical:

If you still had your radio from the 60's it will most likely be an AM radio with an 8-Track tape player. We have 6 Disc players now and I have read these will be obsolete in a short time. Don't get me wrong about the Shaker 1000. It is a good unit for people who enjoy the heavy bass. I have just read alot of people hear complaining dollar for dollar the 500 is a good buy and the 1000 is too heavy. :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

This will probably be a dumb question from someone who knows very little about car audio systems.

I'm guessing that the Shaker 1000 unit has double the total wattage capability of the 500. Is this difference primarily to power the large subwoofer or bass drivers?

exactly, shaker 1000 is 1000 watts vs. 500 stock. It powers 10 speakers including 2 10" subs. BTW- Who cares about the CDs... it has a plug for my IPOD, and that won't be outdated till it breaks, so I could care less about 6 piddly discs that hold 12 songs. and if I cared about the wieght, I would have skipped the verte option. But now I need a system that overpowers windnoise...heheheheh oh, and a portable GPS is better. If it came with the 1000 option, I would have bought it...your loss Ford!

Splurge and get the sirius "bug" since you can have it removed without too much trouble...good luck

exactly, shaker 1000 is 1000 watts vs. 500 stock. It powers 10 speakers including 2 10" subs. BTW- Who cares about the CDs... it has a plug for my IPOD, and that won't be outdated till it breaks, so I could care less about 6 piddly discs that hold 12 songs. and if I cared about the wieght, I would have skipped the verte option. But now I need a system that overpowers windnoise...heheheheh oh, and a portable GPS is better. If it came with the 1000 option, I would have bought it...your loss Ford!

Splurge and get the sirius "bug" since you can have it removed without too much trouble...good luck

Actually the Shakers (both) and Nav units both hold 6 disks that hold apprx 120 songs each. Approx 3.5 GB of MP3s in the dash. Not as many as a large iPod but quite a few. Ford also has HD Radio and a true digital interface for integrating an iPod to any of the 3 available head units.

I just finished adding the Ford HD Radio upgrade module and an VERY impressed with the better sound quality and the additional stations. Far better sound quality than FM or Sirrius.

Personally, I bought the Nav unit for the better displays, higher sound quality and easy touchscreen interface. I will NOT install a theft bait aftermarket system that always look hacked in to me. Only an OEM option was appropriate for MY Shelby. The nav part works pretty well too but I am seldom someplace I don;t know well when driving the Shelby.

+1 except I do not agree with the Sirius radio. I refuse to pay for tunes, and it can not be removed that easy as it will leave a nice hole in the trunk :hysterical::hysterical2:

Does the '08 GT500 come with "Sync" or is it available now? If so, you should be able to do things like navigate with voice commands, walk into your car while on a compatible cell-phone and have the call transfer to the car-audio system, etc, place calls verbally, etc... I was just wondering if anyone has that combo and what they think of it.

I've asked those questions to the MS rep at Ford-SEMA and she said absolutely yes, yes and yes. My friend's new Honduh Acura TL-S (weighs 3838#s <lol> so much for light Hondas) works that way too but supposedly Sync give more flexibility and the reviews I've seen say it is very easy to use but I'm trying to understand more of what that actually means. My understanding is that one thing that makes Sync nice is that it will work with any compatible device and is soft-upgradeable for future capabilities and devices which many (most?) others aren't, I suspect.

Just curions if anyone has played with the combo of Sync, Nav, iPod, cell, etc in the Mustang (if Sync now available) and how well Sync really works. I think it won Pop Mechnaics automotive innovation of the year award but hard to tell from just the writeups why/if it may be better than other manufacturers approaches or how easy and effective is it to use. Any insights?

I have it on my '08 GT 500 convert just because I wanted all the options(except for the HID) I like the looks of it and it works good and i like the interface with the radio and cd and sat radio but I like my aftermarket garmin better. so is it worth the $1995 on this car I guess so. So like most things its what you want

post-11691-1196694659_thumb.jpg

post-11691-1196695006_thumb.jpg

post-11691-1196694659_thumb.jpg

post-11691-1196695006_thumb.jpg

Archived