TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is running on a patched tire risky?

wildcat

I got a puncture of some sort in my right rear tire last night. I'm going to take it to the tire store today to get fixed. But I'm worndering, after being patched, will the tire be as strong as before? If I do racing on it, will it be at any greater risk of blowing out? It only has 2500 miles on it, but I'd rather buy a new tire if there's any doubt.

What really stinks about the whole thing is that I'm going to spend my morning fixing the tire instead of going to Hallett Raceway for some much anticipated High Speed Touring :banghead::banghead: . What a lousy time to get a flat!

I got a puncture of some sort in my right rear tire last night. I'm going to take it to the tire store today to get fixed. But I'm worndering, after being patched, will the tire be as strong as before? If I do racing on it, will it be at any greater risk of blowing out? It only has 2500 miles on it, but I'd rather buy a new tire if there's any doubt.

What really stinks about the whole thing is that I'm going to spend my morning fixing the tire instead of going to Hallett Raceway for some much anticipated High Speed Touring :banghead::banghead: . What a lousy time to get a flat!quote]

The general consensus is not to patch or plug a high performance tire. With that said, I have plugged several of my high performance tires in the past with no ill effects. I did not use them for any type of racing. That would be a definite no no. You can also have a tube installed in the tubeless tire and it should be fine for daily driving. I use a professional tire patching kit to repair nail holes etc. and I've never had a problem. If you plan to do any type of competitive drivng, replace the tire. Sound like you plan to possibly do some future racing and I would advise a new tire to be safe. Have the old tire plugged and save it for a spare. Hope this helps in your decision.

Anybody patching or plugging tires is asking for trouble. The only proper repair on a tire is a patch/plug combo. What you are doing then is filling the hole and repairing the hole at the inner liner.

Most all tire manufacturers with the exception of Goodyear ( which our tires are) void the speed rating of a tire once it has been fixed. Remember, once you have an object go through a tire, you have broken steel belts and have allowed air, dirt and water to get into the belt package. These elements over time work their way thorough the inner liner of the tire and cause a seperation or bubble on the tire which then will cause the tire to fail over time. There are many people who plug and or patch tires and never have a problem. One thing to keep in mind is that there are also many people that have had those repairs fail and have had bad vehicle damage and injuries.

It is a decision you have to make but not one that I would even consider in a car such as ours.

The guys are correct, do not use the tire. But save it because if you have a simular problom with the other one, you can mount them both and go out and do burn outs and doenuts until your heart is content and not feel like your destroying your good ones.

The guys are correct, do not use the tire. But save it because if you have a simular problom with the other one, you can mount them both and go out and do burn outs and doenuts until your heart is content and not feel like your destroying your good ones.

:hysterical: Great idea! My mind is made up ... NEW TIRE it is! I'll keep the patched one for a backup. Thanks for the advice.

Archived