TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who is thinking Terlingua?

robertlane

I just priced a base Mustang at around $20,000. The base Terlingua upgrade from SAI starts at $7,995 installed. Looks like a pretty mean combination for the price.

Toss a SuperCharger on it and road race the hell out of it. Might be a pretty cool set up.

What do you think?

Now that Terlingua and Shelby are together again and have come up with this V-6 package will there be a racing venue for it to compete at with or without the SC ? If so Im sure that will be a big plus in the attraction of this kind of car otherwise I would much perfer a V-8 version.

That said I'm sure it would be a great and fun car on the track. My 2 cents........

Nah, just that Shelby seems to be evolving as Ford's higher-risk integrator, imo ...maybe for offerings just a bit too spicy for the Ford lawyers to digest? :spiteful:

Possibly a 3-tier approach?

e.g. Ford -> Shelby-as-Ford-integrator -> Shelby-as-retailer:

- M-GT -> ShelbyGT/GTH -> Shelby GT/SC

- GT500 -> KR -> SS/600-SS/725

- BOSS -> Shelby GT350 -> Terlingua racer *OR* BOSS -> Shelby BOSS - Shelby GT350 (also available race-prepped) ???

Since it seems the Bullitt and the FR500S-recer will both get their FRP handling pieces down a Ford line (a 'first' in modern times, I believe, but essentially what SAI did for the Shelby GT/GTH), it seems Ford may backward integrator into the base and Shelby may forward integrate new FRP pieces that are either not a good line fit or too 'risky' for Ford to handle ...just seems to be a new paradigm emerging possibly to get out in front for Camaro/Chal and the inevitable new racing series.

Good stuff ...and great to see Ford being agressive/proactive even if necessarily in the 'pupeteer' role on occasion? :spiteful:

Who knows?! But it's fun sniffing out the roles because the market needs drive the actions and the actions are likely defined by contracts/agreements ;)

I too agree the terlingua mustang SA is doing is to much for the street its to over the top to put it nicely.

This would be a excellent option for a streetable looking terlingua after you lose the wing, you could add the Gt500 spoiler in black .

You could offer this in a few configurations but to me this is the modern version of what a terlingua mustang should look like.

http://www.sjlupload.com/image_org.php?image=13868

http://www.sjlupload.com/image_org.php?image=13869

Everyone is different but this car screams kickazz that is universal in appeal to the younger crowd. SA has the power to make this happen.

If they want to grow a bigger following start making their own appearance packages. The 00 cobra R combos of hood and front valance are real popular because its mean looking but blends to the body lines well. Coming out with a real deal package that doesn't stick on the car with double stick tape would be heading in a positive direction.

I was actually thinking about a low mileage, used 2005 as a base and get it upgraded.... should be able to do it under 20 G's pretty easily. The only hard part is finding the right car with a color that works

WOuld be fun to do as a driver, sans all the stickers

What is interesting to me is the hood. I prefer the CS6/8 hood but the Terlingua hood is that and more, given it is functional and has the height to allow a strut brace over a Whipple S/C. Winter catalogue says Spring '08 for availablity of the hood. I waited 41 years for my SGT so what is a few more months? Jim

i think it's extremely cool & unique, i especially like the whole history of the Terlingua Racing Team aspect.

i'm trying to find out if it will be possible to get it installed on a 2007 silver convertible, i'm thinking w/ the black & silver hood from this pic:

http://www.shelbyautos.com/galleries/TerGa...all206-1024.jpg

if it's possible, i could definitely see doing it.

I just priced a base Mustang at around $20,000. The base Terlingua upgrade from SAI starts at $7,995 installed. Looks like a pretty mean combination for the price.

Toss a SuperCharger on it and road race the hell out of it. Might be a pretty cool set up.

What do you think?

Personally, this car does nothing for me. I have no desire to put $8K into a V6 mustang.

Look at the SGT. That was an $8,390 package after adding the $1K GGT. It has not done well at all. Seems most are not willing to spend the money for only 15 HP more.

Now will $8K bucks added to a V6 with a supercharger be more desireable for buyers? Dunno. But not to me.

I'd rather add the SC to the V8 GT Mustang and pay a few grand more to have the extra power. But that's just me. Maybe there will be a lot of others that will pay for something like this.

I think we are going backwards in the wrong direction. Coming out with a 500 HP car first then following behind that with a lot less HP seems to be hurting sales more than helping. At this point I think they need to focus on more HP, not less.

If this is just going to be something extra offered where people can send their V6 in to have it done and SAI doesn't need to count on a certain number to build then maybe it will work out OK. If this is going to be like the SGT where they will build 6,000 of these to sell then this could be a problem like the SGT has become with a serious lack of sales.

• 5 months later...
Personally, this car does nothing for me. I have no desire to put $8K into a V6 mustang.

Look at the SGT. That was an $8,390 package after adding the $1K GGT. It has not done well at all. Seems most are not willing to spend the money for only 15 HP more.

I believe the problem with the Shelby GT's was the Dealerships, adding on an extra $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 to the Total Price is what hurt the sells.

As far as being too Flashy for the Streets, you could always purchase a second set of Graphics for safe keeping and peel off the ones you want to make it less Flashy.

David.

I guess I have to agree on the V6. Maybe a totally engineered EcoBoost 3.7 V6TT, but not a Paxton'd 4.0 Terlingua ...at least not for me.

I think a 5.0 (revised mod) Terlingua would be a big hit but, since that's sort of what everyone expects for the '10MY BOSS. Maybe a Shelby-ized version cloaked as a GT350 would play well ...whether built off an NA BOSS or the TT/EcoBoost version that Ford has seemingly already developed (<-politically correct wording intended) but denies they have plans to produce. That's what will sell, imo!!!

Ford, SVT, FRP, Shelby ...all singing from different pages of the same hymnal is a powerful and proven marketing paradigm ...with plenty of room for the aftermarket too, I think.

But, yeah, the present Terlingua/CS6, tho very cool in their own way, are not my cup of tea. For that money it not only has to have V8 power, it needs to be a V8 *and* have Ford's deep engineering fingerprints underpinning it -- for me, anyway.

Dan

But, yeah, the present Terlingua/CS6, tho very cool in their own way, are not my cup of tea. For that money it not only has to have V8 power, it needs to be a V8 *and* have Ford's deep engineering fingerprints underpinning it -- for me, anyway.

Dan

+1 Not my cup of coffee either Dan...They need a V8, naturally aspired or FI offering and a new, or re-invented, class to race it in. The mfg.s (GM and Chry. included) need to think "entry-level and affordable" and keep the greed of their dealers at-bay; I'm thinking post-title, race prep. by designated shops, or knowledgeable individuals, should IMO be utilized and allowed. Maybe the dealers won't make the initial profits off the race prepped cars, but the publicity the cars and events produce will pay the mfgs. and dealers off in spades...

Is there an existing V8, domestic class out there that will allow bolt-on (or minor weld-in) safety equipment to keep it "entry level and affordable" for guys like me that want to, and can build it themselves?

Edit: Spelling

Another way to look at it is: Carroll Shelby is looking after those who can't afford the V8's (Payments & Insurance & Gas, etc........) I think I may want a Black one over the Shelby GT..............

The questions I do have are.........

<1> Will they have Shelby VIN #'s?

<2> Will they be in the Registry?

<3> Can you build one on a 2005 / 2006 / 2007 Mustang?

David.

+1 Not my cup of coffee either Dan...They need a V8, naturally aspired or FI offering and a new, or re-invented, class to race it in. The mfg.s (GM and Chry. included) need to think "entry-level and affordable" and keep the greed of their dealers at-bay; I'm thinking post-title, race prep. by designated shops, or knowledgeable individuals, should IMO be utilized and allowed. Maybe the dealers won't make the initial profits off the race prepped cars, but the publicity the cars and events produce will pay the mfgs. and dealers off in spades...

Is there an existing V8, domestic class out there that will allow bolt-on (or minor weld-in) safety equipment to keep it "entry level and affordable" for guys like me that want to, and can build it themselves?

Edit: Spelling

Good point... they need sort of a roll-your-own spec-racer series for the BOSS/GT350/Terlingua-8 -- that could slot in nicely, imo, between the Miller FR500S spec-racer (325HP) and the FR500C Grand-Am/GT3/GT4 550+HP.

I'm not aware of a specific class or plans for it but I bet Dan Davis has been working that turf and we'll hear more as planned leaks for the BOSS/GT350 start (later this year?) :shrug:

I'm looking forward to see the new FR500S Miller racers at Lime Rock this August -- clearly a drivers' race series :)

Another way to look at it is: Carroll Shelby is looking after those who can't afford the V8's (Payments & Insurance & Gas, etc........) I think I may want a Black one over the Shelby GT..............

The questions I do have are.........

<1> Will they have Shelby VIN #'s?

<2> Will they be in the Registry?

<3> Can you build one on a 2005 / 2006 / 2007 Mustang?

David.

Good points and questions David. Now that I've thought about it I'll add that SAI may not want to subvert Ford and their efforts to sell the SGT which is already a V8 powered "track" car...

I'll add one question to yours, if the S-197 Terlingua is designed for the track and Ford uses SAI to limit it's liability, as Dan pointed out, why no roll bar and 5-point seat belts? The MOMO seats are already in the package. Where's the S-197 "R" in this offering? I'm of course referring to the GT350R of the '60's era.

I think I may want a Ebony one over my GT500...

Hey, have you seen Hot Rod magazine's full spread article on the Terlingua in the June '08 edition? They race it around Willow Springs and speak very highly of it for being a 'Bow Tie' kinda magazine, lots of cool pictures too.

EDIT: Spelling

I'm looking forward to see the new FR500S Miller racers at Lime Rock this August -- clearly a drivers' race series :)

+1 That's going to be a lot of excitement and fun for both the vets and newbes. Reminds me of the old IROC days, only better because it's more open to the newbes who can pass Q and with cars that I like.

Who's covering it on TV? I've seen it somewhere but I can't remember the network?

+1 That's going to be a lot of excitement and fun for both the vets and newbes. Reminds me of the old IROC days, only better because it's more open to the newbes who can pass Q and with cars that I like.

Who's covering it on TV? I've seen it somewhere but I can't remember the network?

Jay, I think they're only going to cover it via a sort of documentary/mini-series. I think I read in another briefing it will cover most all of the 8 races in the series but will structure the several episodes so that only two or so are mostly actual racing. i.e. they'll be a lot of 'story' in the first episode and 'wrap-up' in the last, if I recall. Should be enjoyable!!

Maybe I'm getting confused with another event, but I thought it will be in HD on Discovery-HD and/or speed (not sure and can't check right now ...have to run).

Dan

<edit:> here it is! ;-) HD Theater (oened by Discovery) will carry it -- Ford Media brief...

I had my first real look at the Terlingua today and I must say that I was highly impressed with seeing it run. I'm now of the mindset to get one. My wife even liked it! (after saying how ugly it was online..lol)

When are they going to be available or are they already? If so, I want one.

• 1 month later...

My chance to post as a new member.

I live in Terlingua, TX and work in beautiful Big Bend National Park next door. I have long known of the association between the ranch, Shelby Autos and the Terlingua Ranch/Shelby racing logo and Terlingua Terror Mustang - the Prancing Rabbit. What I did not see coming as a long time Mustang and Shelby enthusiast was a Terlingua Mustang updated and new. WOW!

I found out about the car/post title package about a month ago and started my version of the dream - I searched and searched hard and long and found a brand new, fully loaded, on the dealer lot 2007 black, V6 coupe, standard shift, black interior with parchment accents. Not an easy task let me tell you... at least not this far into the 2008 year.

It - the car - is being shipped next week to the mod shop to await the release of the Terlingua package - the performance package. I have dreamed of owning a car like this for years and years. Everything I see and read about the Terlingua is awesome.

Add me to the list of thinking Terlingua - or in my case have the car purchased and ready to go.

If anyone needs help for the Terlingua event - hotels, directions, restaurants etc - let me know - I can help allot.

Archived