TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Houston Texas Get Together in the Spring

TexasShelby

Hi Guys,

I fly for a living and just came off a 3 day to Houston, where we stayed in The Woodlands...what a great place.

Today, across from the mall at the shopping area I believe called The Pavillion (where Tommy Bahama's store and restaurant are) they had a Porsche show and meet, the cars were lined all the way around the center area, must have been 50 or better (it didn't much matter, they wouldn't speak to anyone that didn't have a Porsche), and I thought how great would that be to do that with some Shelby's, Cobra's and stangs or members from here.

Anyone down there that would look into having something there, let me know and I'll make sure I come and bring a handfull from west Texas for a weekend.

Hey there TexasShelby,

Hubby and I happened in on the Porsche show yesterday afternoon. Nice cars, some of the owners were interesting. Let us know when you are coming back to Htown. Maybe we can get a meet and greet and food set up. Also, if you are down on a weekend before 11/17, there is a hugh car show on SpringCypress and Champions Forest. On 11/17 they will close up shop till March.

Hey there TexasShelby,

Hubby and I happened in on the Porsche show yesterday afternoon. Nice cars, some of the owners were interesting. Let us know when you are coming back to Htown. Maybe we can get a meet and greet and food set up. Also, if you are down on a weekend before 11/17, there is a hugh car show on SpringCypress and Champions Forest. On 11/17 they will close up shop till March.

I'd be interested in a spring get together as well.

The NiftyFiftys car show on SpringCypress at Champions does not like late models of any kind. They actually tried to have the local Sherrif have my car towed from the Starbucks parking area last Sat night, until the Starbucks manager stepped in to intercede. While they play fast and loose with rules and just what they consider a late model, your Shelby will not be welcome there. They seem to like the late model kit cars though and a few of the late model german cars......Never could figure them out, wierd bunch on a power trip I guess. You can show up and park in the adjacent business lots and be a patron of that business, but the car show itself is off limits. Pretty snoody if you ask me. Thats why the Mustang Club of Houston will not officially attend, its not open to all thier members.

I'd be interested in a spring get together as well.

The NiftyFiftys car show on SpringCypress at Champions does not like late models of any kind. They actually tried to have the local Sherrif have my car towed from the Starbucks parking area last Sat night, until the Starbucks manager stepped in to intercede. While they play fast and loose with rules and just what they consider a late model, your Shelby will not be welcome there. They seem to like the late model kit cars though and a few of the late model german cars......Never could figure them out, wierd bunch on a power trip I guess. You can show up and park in the adjacent business lots and be a patron of that business, but the car show itself is off limits. Pretty snoody if you ask me. Thats why the Mustang Club of Houston will not officially attend, its not open to all thier members.

Well, that sux, JC! And you were not inside the orange cones :) MCOH, however, attended about 3 weeks ago and we ALL parked over by the bank inside the cones, old and new together. Dunno how that went down. But when only the newer models go, we tend to park either where you were or across the cones from all the AC Cobras.

I have been told the reason it is pre 1979 is because of the contracts drawn up and the insurance policy.

Hi Texas Shelby, I'm a pilot myself, who do you fly for?

Rob

Yes I do...fly for a little oil and gas company out here... we've got 2 Falcon 50's.

We do from eastern Europe to south America.

How about you?

I will be at the NiftyFiftys car show this Saturday night with my 69 gt350 if it does not rain. Randy told me that the reason he limits the show to vantage autos is he does not have the space for everyone. On a good night he has over 400 cars show up and runs out of parking spaces. He does let clubs come in if they call ahead of time. Last weekend the corvette club was there with several newer corvettes.

Well, that sux, JC! And you were not inside the orange cones :) MCOH, however, attended about 3 weeks ago and we ALL parked over by the bank inside the cones, old and new together. Dunno how that went down. But when only the newer models go, we tend to park either where you were or across the cones from all the AC Cobras.

I have been told the reason it is pre 1979 is because of the contracts drawn up and the insurance policy.

Well it had been a while since I spoke with anyone in MCOH about this so glad to hear they changed thier tune and worked with the club. I stand corrected.

I still think it would be far more equitable for the NiftyFiftys club to let all show cars in until full. Those that want a space will get there in time. When the lot is full, then turn cars away. Dont turn cars away based on what someone LIKES or DISLIKES. Personally I dislike numerous old cars, but would never tell the owners that or to get lost from a club event. Its RUDE, unkind and a poor way to run a street meet. There is nothing in the insurance policy restricting the year model of the cars that attend. Its strictly a personal preference thing.

Perhaps we need to 'call ahead' for a TeamShelby club participation on a regular basis?

Unfortunatly for me, I will miss the last two sat nights for this season as I am still stuck working in Denver for a few more weeks. I can't wait to go home and work a real job again.

I will be at the NiftyFiftys car show this Saturday night with my 69 gt350 if it does not rain. Randy told me that the reason he limits the show to vantage autos is he does not have the space for everyone. On a good night he has over 400 cars show up and runs out of parking spaces. He does let clubs come in if they call ahead of time. Last weekend the corvette club was there with several newer corvettes.

How come you didn't go with us on our ride up to Coldspring? We met in Forest Cove and I live in Kingwood! Would really like to see your GT 350. :happy feet:

maybe we need to start a club thats across the street and call it modern muscle 1980 and up.

I heard that a new street meet has started up in the Woodlands that welcome the late models. I think there are also several others around town. The difficult part of starting one up is to find a property that the property management will allow it. Most property managements frown on these things because of the liability involved.

Yes I do...fly for a little oil and gas company out here... we've got 2 Falcon 50's.

We do from eastern Europe to south America.

How about you?

Is that the Falcon that has a supersonic fuselage? They were hot jets back when I was flying and working at an FBO in Austin (Grades at UT suffered that semester).

Every Saturday night 7 to 9 there is a get together at Classics Pizza in the Woodlands at Research Forest and Six Pines. Lots of old cars and new as well - I bring my 2007 GT500 up once in a while, but have taken the T-Bird lately. 10 - 15 cars on an average night, but they reserve spots in the lot for them and the cops dont bother us. Just no burn outs :burnout: or stupid driving around there, and everything is fine.

Good pizza, cold beer, and good company - I wont make it this weekend (flying to CA for Thanksgiving next week), but check it out.

Come out December 1 and I'll buy the first round of beer.

Rob

Every Saturday night 7 to 9 there is a get together at Classics Pizza in the Woodlands at Research Forest and Six Pines. Lots of old cars and new as well - I bring my 2007 GT500 up once in a while, but have taken the T-Bird lately. 10 - 15 cars on an average night, but they reserve spots in the lot for them and the cops dont bother us. Just no burn outs :burnout: or stupid driving around there, and everything is fine.

Good pizza, cold beer, and good company - I wont make it this weekend (flying to CA for Thanksgiving next week), but check it out.

Rob

Sounds like a good place to meet and greet.

Rob

I will plan on being there on Dec 1. Should be fun. Thanks

Hey guys,

The Texas Cobra Club does an annual spring event in Austin every year. Usually the third or 4th weekend in March. Host hotel is Marriott in Round Rock........Lots of tailgate parties Thursday and Friday night and big cruise through the hill country on Saturday. Started out with mostly 65/66 Cobra replica and a few real ones but now Ford GTs and GT500s. I'm a founding member which we started in late 1999. Had several Superformance Cobras, GTD GT40, then a Kirkham FIA and recently bought the Shelby GT500. Check out clubcobra.com under Texas forum.

Another evert to consider is the Mid America Shelby meet in Tulsa, OK mid June. Huge Shelby event for all cars!

Hey guys,

The Texas Cobra Club does an annual spring event in Austin every year. Usually the third or 4th weekend. Host hotel is Marriott in Round Rock........Lots of tailgate parties Thursday and Friday night and big cruise through the hill country on Saturday. Started out with mostly 65/66 Cobra replica and a few real ones but now Ford GTs and GT500s. I'm a founding member which we started in late 1999. Had several Superformance Cobras, GTD GT40, then a Kirkham FIA and recently bought the Shelby GT500. Check out clubcobra.com under Texas forum.

Another evert to consider is the Mid America Shelby meet in Tulsa, OK mid June. Huge Shelby event for all cars!

We need to do a road trip to pay homage at Terlingua preferably in the fall or spring :superhero:

• 2 weeks later...

Im in for a houston or austin meet...hill country is ALOT more scenic and fun to drive....and the problem with a houston meet is bad traffic and constant rain. But I'll consider either one, since I have lots of friends in H town. (I used to live there)

Archived