TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Northern IL Spring Fling BBQ!

JeffIsHereToo

Let's get planning for the spring and keep up some motivation during these cold Shelbyless winter months!

So five of us (SGT owners) got together this fall for a BBQ and cruise and we'd like to do more of it! We've talked about a "Spring Fling" kick off get together and there are a lot of great area car shows and cruise nights for those that want to make a Shelby show of it!

BTW: This invite is open to ALL! The only reason it was SGT this fall is we were all over on the SAI web site.

So all those interested in setting the stage for an fun filled Summer of 08' let's start!

-Jeff

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Ditto

Keeping track!

It was hard finding people last summer for events, etc., MAYBE one GT500 or one other SGT. Let's make sure next summer's events/shows are well represented and a kick off party will be a great start.

Anyone have any preference for when? I was thinking first weekend in April. We know April is sort of hit or miss weather wise but I don't want to wait too long and miss early spring shows either. Next years show/event calendars aren't yet updated in most places.

If we get together the first weekend we can plan, for those attending, our road trip on the to the Hermann MO event on the 19th.

Just a thought!

Jeff,

We would love to have you in Hermann in April. Having a bunch of Shelby GT's will only make te Shelbyfest more complete.

PM me you direct email and I will put you on my "shortlist" to get info as quickly as possible. I will need to have an idea of who thinks they are coming.....

COOOLNESSS.....

CB

• 1 month later...

Here's a short list of '08 events possible for us Mid-Westners to attend, courtesy of my SAAC newsletter that just arrived today.

10 Feb. 2008-Medford WI. Contact Ash Nelson @ 800.531.6383, or, win.gt@hotmail.com

2 Mar. 2008-Woodhaven MI. Swap meet. Contact hot line @ 734.956.1636, or, www.ssaac-mcr.net

16-17 May 2008-Nashville, IN. (my favorite). 31st Annual Shelby spring fling. Contact Joyce Yates @ 812.988.7146, or, jcyates@indiana.edu, or, www.indianasaac.com Nashville is a fun town, lot's of twistes in the neighborhood courtest of Brown County State Park and the Hoosier National Forest.

If y'all have anything else going on, please post here, or, drop me a line at sergntmac@aol.com, or, 312.401.1396. Looking forward to meeting more mid-west owners of any Shelby cars

Here's a short list of '08 events possible for us Mid-Westners to attend, courtesy of my SAAC newsletter that just arrived today.

10 Feb. 2008-Medford WI. Contact Ash Nelson @ 800.531.6383, or, win.gt@hotmail.com

2 Mar. 2008-Woodhaven MI. Swap meet. Contact hot line @ 734.956.1636, or, www.ssaac-mcr.net

16-17 May 2008-Nashville, IN. (my favorite). 31st Annual Shelby spring fling. Contact Joyce Yates @ 812.988.7146, or, jcyates@indiana.edu, or, www.indianasaac.com Nashville is a fun town, lot's of twistes in the neighborhood courtest of Brown County State Park and the Hoosier National Forest.

If y'all have anything else going on, please post here, or, drop me a line at sergntmac@aol.com, or, 312.401.1396. Looking forward to meeting more mid-west owners of any Shelby cars

I attended the Nashville Indiana show last year...it was great. I only live about 30 minutes from there, and so does stentgraft95. ati was there last year too...and I think 69deluxe although I missed him that day. :banghead:

Jeff, I'd also consider an informal meet and greet...but I can't take entire weekends to do it...so we'd need something between Chicago and here...maybe north side of Indianapolis or something like that. Iceman lives up that way, and cutter does as well.

Thanks,

Dave

I attended the Nashville Indiana show last year...it was great. I only live about 30 minutes from there, and so does stentgraft95. ati was there last year too...and I think 69deluxe although I missed him that day. :banghead:

Jeff, I'd also consider an informal meet and greet...but I can't take entire weekends to do it...so we'd need something between Chicago and here...maybe north side of Indianapolis or something like that. Iceman lives up that way, and cutter does as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry about the misphellings in my previous post folks, but this tiny font pushes my eyesight limitations.

Anyway, the closer to Chicago, the better for me. But, I'll drive almost anywhere in the Mid-West to hook up with other Shelby owners.

Someone keep me clued in?

Thanks, be safe.

What about a group cruise down to the Shelby Fest 2008 in April down in Hermann, MO? It's about a 6 hour drive (from Chicago), though maybe longer if we want to avoid going through St. Louis. I'd be up for it if work schedule permits.

I could be up for it--if the snow's gone by then :waiting:

I've been to Hermann, Mo---some good wineries and German food to be had there! Do you know what weekend that is Jeff?

Maybe a Cincinnati Reds baseball game on Saturday afternoon with a meet and greet before that. Or the Cubs? Or...we could go minor league and do the Indianapolis Indians. :happy feet: I've been to that stadium and it's the nicest sports venue I've ever been to. Only minor issue would be parking nice cars in downtown Indianapolis...but we could figure something out.

Maybe a Cincinnati Reds baseball game on Saturday afternoon with a meet and greet before that. Or the Cubs? Or...we could go minor league and do the Indianapolis Indians. :happy feet: I've been to that stadium and it's the nicest sports venue I've ever been to. Only minor issue would be parking nice cars in downtown Indianapolis...but we could figure something out.

All good ideas!

Things are slow now, cars are covered or in garages, and the cold and snow with it dark by 5PM, but they're sure to pick up once the warm days appear and the snow disappears!

I'm from Northern KY, just across the river from Cincinnati, OH.

I'm definately up for the Shelby Spring Fling this year. Sorry I missed it last year. (Found out about it to late)

Dave - We celebrated our 5 year anniversary in Story, IN - Near Nashville. Had a great time exploring the area. That was 11 years and 3 kids ago. Tough to do much travel now with 3 little ones, but would love to come back.

Ever been to Story? We stayed in the Dotor's house (lower floor) at the bed and breakfast there.

I'd be up for some get togethers this spring. I live in Goshen, In. Right at the top of the state.

For those going to Hermann, Mo, lets get a caravan worked out. Maybe leave Friday morning if possible. Stop somewhere along the way for lunch and we'd be there for some track time Friday night.

I'd be up for some get togethers this spring. I live in Goshen, In. Right at the top of the state.

For those going to Hermann, Mo, lets get a caravan worked out. Maybe leave Friday morning if possible. Stop somewhere along the way for lunch and we'd be there for some track time Friday night.

I'm up for that! You live in Goshen? Do you know any of the Aslinger's? Connie or Angela?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...March is almost upon us and I want to get the conversation going again around forming a new Shelby Club for the N. IL area. I'm ok expanding the reach to include N. IN and SE. W. but we'll see how much interest we have from these areas.

I'd like to call for an organizational meeting in mid march so we can get moving and be set in time to begin a member drive during the all important spring/summer show season. Also to begin planning activities and events we want to support, such as the Shelby Fest 08 in April etc.

So who is interested in getting on a groundfloor opportunity?!?!?

I suspect, based upon what I see out my window, and the conditon of the lunar landcape, I mean roads, that this will be an indoor meeting sans cars for those not a DD. I'm not sure where a good location might be so I am open for suggestions based upon the number of people. I'm fine with having it at my home but I'm up north in Gurnee and it might be better to find someone a little more south and slightly west.

Please post here and send me a PM so I can begin to draw up a list. If you have ever held an office in a car club before or you want to help with the organization and administration as well please let me kmow. I'm happy to light the fire on this but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of people to keep it going.

-Jeff

Ok...March is almost upon us and I want to get the conversation going again around forming a new Shelby Club for the N. IL area. I'm ok expanding the reach to include N. IN and SE. W. but we'll see how much interest we have from these areas.

I'd like to call for an organizational meeting in mid march so we can get moving and be set in time to begin a member drive during the all important spring/summer show season. Also to begin planning activities and events we want to support, such as the Shelby Fest 08 in April etc.

So who is interested in getting on a groundfloor opportunity?!?!?

I suspect, based upon what I see out my window, and the conditon of the lunar landcape, I mean roads, that this will be an indoor meeting sans cars for those not a DD. I'm not sure where a good location might be so I am open for suggestions based upon the number of people. I'm fine with having it at my home but I'm up north in Gurnee and it might be better to find someone a little more south and slightly west.

Please post here and send me a PM so I can begin to draw up a list. If you have ever held an office in a car club before or you want to help with the organization and administration as well please let me kmow. I'm happy to light the fire on this but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of people to keep it going.

-Jeff

The wife tells me I need to get out more-I'm in and willing to help. Larry

There's no track events planned for the Hermann event. Friday night is a cruise and burgers. Check out the other thread here with travel plans, ect.

I'm up for getting this started as well. Just a suggestion. I;ve never been involved in an actual car club, but I was involved in an R/C car club for a while. We held all of our meetings in the local library. They had a good sized conferance room that we could reserve free of charge. This may be an avenue to check out if you are planning a meeting that doesn't involve the cars, or any other extra curricular activities.

I'm up for getting this started as well. Just a suggestion. I;ve never been involved in an actual car club, but I was involved in an R/C car club for a while. We held all of our meetings in the local library. They had a good sized conferance room that we could reserve free of charge. This may be an avenue to check out if you are planning a meeting that doesn't involve the cars, or any other extra curricular activities.

yeah...we're fortunate that that spring (believe it or not) will soon be upon us. So there should be plenty of opportunity to meet outside. But this is a great idea for the winter or non-car meetings.

• 1 month later...

All:

:party2:

We're looking to have a pot luck BBQ get together on May 24th at MrHugger's home in Cary Illinois.

Similar to the one we had at my house last fall. I realize it's Memorial Day weekend but the weekends on either side have car show events the we're into June and even more events so we wanted to get a feel for how many might go on this date if all works out.

Comments? Who's in!!?!?!?!?!

-Jeff

Archived