TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Official SGT Hood Scoop Fix Thread

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this topic needs to be renamed from" The Official SGT Hood Scoop Fix Thread"

there is no fix yet they are still working on it and this title is going to give people the idea that there is a fix !!!!! :hysterical:

I can think of a few "creative" titles for this little discussion but then I'd have to moderate myself!

:hysterical2:

Why not use the scoop from the GT/CS or the GT sport package??? It's an OEM Ford part and they look very similar in appearance.

The CS scoop actually does have it's own set of issues do a Google search. Additionally it's a CS scoop, and not special, and rather "small" I think. I always thought it looked sort of wimpy, tiny and just bolted to the center. Our scoop is lower, wider, and longer and from the side looks really cool.

In my opinion... :headspin:

ok Jeff........... i have news...but you "insinuated" I can't keep my mouth shut for 2 weeks............soooooooooooooo :bag:

but it's good news :hysterical2: :happy feet:

What ever you think you know, I already knew, in fact I've forgotten more scoops on the scoops than you'll ever know!

:hysterical2:

I'm just hoping, based upon recent events, the days of these threads will soon be a memory and we can switch back to the Great Car Wax Debate!

:dreamy:

Orf, +100000000 You are spot on! I could care less what car, so long as we all love'em and talk about them. heck I loved my 83 GT 5,0 HO, and if I still had it, you bet I would be talking about it. I agree with Orf and hope any eye poking we do is all in good fun!

I think the reason you're geting combative/defensive responses from the SGT guys is because we've been having our own forum at Shelbyautos.com and have the commaraderie, good natured teasing, and info sharing you talk about. We've also had the trolls you speak of and mostly they were GT500 owners coming over with the "our car is better than yours" mentality (Grabber can testify to that as he's been visiting us regularly for a while now). We love our cars, you love your cars- and in most cases we love each other's cars ( I know I'd really like to have one of each, but then would want the supersnake package and have to add on to the garage etc and then things start to get prohibitively expensive!). There have been many conversations over there about peacefully co-existing over here without the "mines better than yours". I think we have a common ground in that we love Shelby's--give everybody time to acclimate and the get the wrinkles ironed out of the the new site and things will even out-we need to get to know and get used to each other. :redcard:

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, there was a "2 weeks" wait on this hood scoop topic? Well, time's up! What's happening w/ the hood scoop? :lol:

Bump!

I can say that there is a field test of sorts of the fix as we speak. There are some people have had, or will soon have, the work done at a local dealer. Once feedback is collected I would guess it will be rolled out to all. I have no personal knowledge but these are my impressions from what I have gathered here and elsewhere.

I think it was Bud or John of SAI that said they would let us know something definitive "in 2 weeks"...well, I think we're well past that now. Although I am disappointed in the response time, it doesn't really matter as I don't intend to have the fix done until next spring or summer anyway. My plan is to have it done at the Tasca Ford Shelby Mod Shop - certainly they won't hesitate to do the work I would think!

The CS scoop actually does have it's own set of issues do a Google search. Additionally it's a CS scoop, and not special, and rather "small" I think. I always thought it looked sort of wimpy, tiny and just bolted to the center. Our scoop is lower, wider, and longer and from the side looks really cool.

In my opinion... :headspin:

Lets hope Grabber doesn't see this... :drop:

For the record, I like em both :happy feet:

As far as the SGT scoop.

It looks to me like the SGT scoop is made of a type of ABS plastic as opposed to the CS which is probably glass. Plastic, while being tough, is not a great choice for a hood mounting because it does tend to warp with heat or temp shifts. A glass scoop would have been a lot better choice from a heat tolerance stand point but glass can shatter and has issues too, but probably would not warp. Functional would have been nice, but there are a lot of issues with that fuctionality like water in the intake and snow and ice. They have to prepare for the worse case scenario from a warranty stand point. Hoods scoops pulling loose is bad, blown engines and ice cracked hoods is worse.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway, I hope you guys get it worked out to everyones satisfaction.

KC666

• 2 weeks later...
Moab,

Scoops look cool, functional or not. They are not for everyone. With that being said, using the laughing emotioncon like that rubs our fellow members the wrong way. I have a GT/CS with a hood scoop and have heard comments like that directed towards my car and it made me feel uncomfortable too so I know how they feel.

I took my car down to SAI and they replaced the scoop with a fully riveted one. It looks GREAT. The folks down there are really proud of their product and would not let me leave until it was perfect. (They re striped the hood 4 times). I have never been so impressed with the customer service I received from John and the crew. Now if I can just get them to give me a date for the S/C upgrade I will be happy.

Russ

This is why I want to have my scoop repaired by SAI / Tasca Ford in RI. I assume, in fact expect, that their quality of service will be equal to your experience.

I just had my hood scoop replaced for the 3rd time ...but I didn't want any more defective new scoops installed anymore .. so I had my original hood scoop re-installed that came with my car !! It was the best out of 4 scoops !! And I didnt want any holes drilled in my hood for rivots .. I guess I can live with it .Plus its all original

I just had my hood scoop replaced for the 3rd time ...but I didn't want any more defective new scoops installed anymore .. so I had my original hood scoop re-installed that came with my car !! It was the best out of 4 scoops !! And I didnt want any holes drilled in my hood for rivots .. I guess I can live with it .Plus its all original

Surprised they still had the old scoop as they're "supposed" to be sent back to avoid clones etc. While I understand your reluctance to put more holes in the hood, it is aluminum, and you can buy a totally new and factory painted hood for less than $400. The new scoops are far far better and in the long term a MUCH better solution. As I said, if you're concerned, buy an extra hood, and get the new scoop. I really think years from now you'll be glad you did. IMHO!

My car went into the shop Monday to get done but from everything I have seen, and the comments thus far by others that have had it done, moved me to go for it.

I'll report back what I find but I expect to be very happy.

The body shop manager :yup: said we'll hold the hood scoop before we send it back ,just in case the replacements aren't as good .. :cry: Its a good thing we saved the scoop . cause the 3rd scoop that came in was deformed on top ,it had dimples on the 4 mounting bolts :violin: , Thats why I decided I had enough !!! :waiting: So we put the original scoop back on .. If it does start to warp ..then I'm back to the dealer...Its under... 'the good old warranty" !! :banvictory:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this topic is starting to scare me off a bit. I am about to buy a new 07 SGT, the one I was originally looking at was up in the 4600 number so I wasn't too concerned thinking the scoop issue was probably resolved by then. Turn's out the car I will end up getting because of it having more options is in the 800 range. This may sound weak but I am not real excited about buying a brand new car that has issue's that don't seem to be resolved from the get go. Where I live I just don't trust any or every body to put there hands on my cars, too many bad experiense's with shoddy work. And it sounds like the scoop can look great in the beginning and slowly turn to crap due to weather and or engine heat.... so you don't know what you've got.

*** UPDATE ***

Just a quick note to let you all know "Stripes" came home today after more than a week in the shop. It had the hood stripes replaced, the hood scoop replaced, and the shifter vibration fixed. All is done and it looks GREAT! Thanks for SAI for re-engineering this and sticking with the problem until fixed and to Victor Ford in Wauconda for doing such a careful job. I'm VERY happy! Best of all all covered under the warranty and looks just as good as the 08's I've seen. I kept looking at it all the way home! :happy feet:

Archived