TEAM SHELBY FORUM

67-68 Restomods

rown4au

Hi guys,

I was hoping some of the mustang experts could help me out with some info and suggestions. I have been a mustang lover for years (as is my wife) but for a variety of reasons have not yet taken the plunge. After squirreling away some cash for a while I am thinking about finally buying one in the next 6-12 months but I want to make sure that the reality lives up to the dream. I am on the list for an 08 Supernake with shelby and even have a refundable deposit with a dealer for the base car but I wasn't overly impressed by the write up it just got in Road in Track and I kind of think the 67-68 fastbacks just have more of a cool factor as well. It also helps that management (my wife) prefers the looks of the older cars...

I have been doing a fair bit of research into restomods on the net for 68 and 69 and was toying with the idea of having one built by one of the specialty shops that do these. Is there any that you would suggest as far as build quality, price, performance, and your own experience with the shop or their handiwork? How do these cars handle/perform when compared to a modern day Shelby/Roush/Saleen? I see some are putting in the independent rear ends out of the later cobra R models, does this make a big difference in the handling of the car?

I am probably living in a dream world but I would love to find a way to get a classic stang with the performance and handling of a top end modern car. (for those among the mustang faithful this offends I apologize in advance)

I am not looking for an original Shelby or similar as I want to be able to drive the car and enjoy it without worrying that I am destoying the value of a rare icon.

By the way although I currently live in the UK I will probably be back in the Northeast USA when I will be looking to buy the car.

Thanks for your help;

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I was hoping some of the mustang experts could help me out with some info and suggestions. I have been a mustang lover for years (as is my wife) but for a variety of reasons have not yet taken the plunge. After squirreling away some cash for a while I am thinking about finally buying one in the next 6-12 months but I want to make sure that the reality lives up to the dream. I am on the list for an 08 Supernake with shelby and even have a refundable deposit with a dealer for the base car but I wasn't overly impressed by the write up it just got in Road in Track and I kind of think the 67-68 fastbacks just have more of a cool factor as well. It also helps that management (my wife) prefers the looks of the older cars...

I have been doing a fair bit of research into restomods on the net for 68 and 69 and was toying with the idea of having one built by one of the specialty shops that do these. Is there any that you would suggest as far as build quality, price, performance, and your own experience with the shop or their handiwork? How do these cars handle/perform when compared to a modern day Shelby/Roush/Saleen? I see some are putting in the independent rear ends out of the later cobra R models, does this make a big difference in the handling of the car?

I am probably living in a dream world but I would love to find a way to get a classic stang with the performance and handling of a top end modern car. (for those among the mustang faithful this offends I apologize in advance)

I am not looking for an original Shelby or similar as I want to be able to drive the car and enjoy it without worrying that I am destoying the value of a rare icon.

By the way although I currently live in the UK I will probably be back in the Northeast USA when I will be looking to buy the car.

Thanks for your help;

Jaime

Hi Jaime, I don't usually recommend anyone, but, Allan Shepley of Mustang Central does amazing work and specializes in exactly the kind of dream car you are looking for. I have vidio of an SC 67 GT500 clone that Allan built for a customer that is nothing short of awesome! They are down to earth people that have what you are looking for. I'll try to find the u-tube link of the clone. Mustang Central is in Byron GA. Phone 478-956-3871

Archived