TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HID Lights

shelbyan

Has anyone tried installing the Ford HIDs on a GT500 that does not have them from the factory? I'm trying to get the factory HID parts - I already put a call into the dealer and he is suppose to get back to me. Pics of the original factory HIDs installed on a GT500 without the factory order would be great. Anybody get this priced?

Has anyone tried installing the Ford HIDs on a GT500 that does not have them from the factory? I'm trying to get the factory HID parts - I already put a call into the dealer and he is suppose to get back to me. Pics of the original factory HIDs installed on a GT500 without the factory order would be great. Anybody get this priced?

there is a thread on here with some detail, but from what I recall you cannot just swap out the lights, for some reason there is an incompatibility with the 07s. If you have an 08, it might be a lot easier. If I can find a link to that thread, I will add it.

John

link to hid thread

I drove a 08 GT500 home one night for a cust and I really couldnt see any obvious benefits of the HID vs my 07 GT500

I am assuming they do make a difference but how much so .... anyone knows ...

I just wasnt impressed

I drove a 08 GT500 home one night for a cust and I really couldnt see any obvious benefits of the HID vs my 07 GT500

I am assuming they do make a difference but how much so .... anyone knows ...

I just wasnt impressed

I agree with you there, I have driven cars with both( not the GT500 mines not here yet) and though I think there is an improvement it is minimal. I ordered mine with just because it was there not because I actually needed them.

Now looks wise I think they have a cool factor just like ambient lighting and dress up kits etc but thats about it.

I agree with you there, I have driven cars with both( not the GT500 mines not here yet) and though I think there is an improvement it is minimal. I ordered mine with just because it was there not because I actually needed them.

Now looks wise I think they have a cool factor just like ambient lighting and dress up kits etc but thats about it.

I've got an '07 GT & I have not seen the factory HIDs, but the aftermarket ones were a big improvement over the stock bulbs at night. I got the 6000k bulbs. My wife likes them so much, that she is considering the same upgrade for her Tahoe.

Here's the headlights

http://www.stangmods.com/Bi-Xenon-HID-Conv...068-bixenon.htm

Here's the fog lamps

http://www.stangmods.com/ProductDetails.as...oductCode=00665

I've got an '07 GT & I have not seen the factory HIDs, but the aftermarket ones were a big improvement over the stock bulbs at night. I got the 6000k bulbs. My wife likes them so much, that she is considering the same upgrade for her Tahoe.

Here's the headlights

http://www.stangmods.com/Bi-Xenon-HID-Conv...068-bixenon.htm

Here's the fog lamps

http://www.stangmods.com/ProductDetails.as...oductCode=00665

Thanks, I ordered them anyways so that will be a pleasant suprise if they are more beneficial over the standards in the Shelby than I first thought.

Thanks, I ordered them anyways so that will be a pleasant suprise if they are more beneficial over the standards in the Shelby than I first thought.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The biggest benefit, especially in our area, is when there are not a lot of street lights. The other is when it's raining at night. Instead of inky blackness with a little yellow light, I get a well lit path in front of me.

Thanks KCMO-GT500 for pointing out the thread. Looks like the factory HID parts won't work. The after market HIDs that 07alloyGT is suggesting look pretty good. Are these real xenons meaning they are gas based and not just a bulb? Also what is the closest performance and look to factory based HIDs? I was guessing that it would be the 8000s since they have a slight blue look to them. But I know that true HIDs are actually closer to white because high temperatures make the light whiter. I like the low and high beam being built in and the plug and play nature of them. And the price seems reasonable.

Does anyone else out there have experience with after market HIDs since clearly there is no factory ome option?

Thanks KCMO-GT500 for pointing out the thread. Looks like the factory HID parts won't work. The after market HIDs that 07alloyGT is suggesting look pretty good. Are these real xenons meaning they are gas based and not just a bulb? Also what is the closest performance and look to factory based HIDs? I was guessing that it would be the 8000s since they have a slight blue look to them. But I know that true HIDs are actually closer to white because high temperatures make the light whiter. I like the low and high beam being built in and the plug and play nature of them. And the price seems reasonable.

Does anyone else out there have experience with after market HIDs since clearly there is no factory ome option?

Yes, these are xenon gas bulbs, the 'bi' portion of the bi-xenon refers to the fact that they have integrated high beams like the factory bulbs. My light is white with a little blue around the edges.

Yes, these are xenon gas bulbs, the 'bi' portion of the bi-xenon refers to the fact that they have integrated high beams like the factory bulbs. My light is white with a little blue around the edges.

For those ordering these be sure to order the ones specified for the GT500:

http://www.stangmods.com/ProductDetails.as...00&CartID=1

Not sure what the difference is but this is a different part than for the Mustang GT. Of course the price is more for the GT500 by $90.

Linky to another SU thread on this.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Maybe not insight but I can tell you a couple things. I imported a US made car and had to have the DRL's activated. After taking the car to my local Ford dealer it was discovered that Ford issued a bulliten to it's dealers specifically telling them not to activate car's with HID's. I pushed a little further and they confirmed it with an engineer over the phone. Apparently HID's have to run at a particular (high) voltage and with the DRL's activated the voltage run's about 40%. This will prematurely burn out the HID bulbs and may cause other problems. In anycase I ended up paying Ford to install one relay into the factory wiring and looms which activate the fog lights as DRL's. Hope this helps.

I have the HIDs. I did not notice all that much of a difference........Until I went back to driving my truck. Now the difference is very noticeable between the HIDs and the old yellers on my pickup. It seems to make the most difference on the side of the road and farther ahead.

Archived