TEAM SHELBY FORUM

new member 67' gt500 owner

Alxinya

Hello everyone. My family came across a 1967 gt500 about 20 years ago. The car was donated to church for a tax write off and was going to be scrapped because it looked like a piece of junk to the laymans eye. We were the owners of the scrap yard and quickly my father realized that it was no ordinary mustang. He put it in a building and forgot about it. When muscle cars started going through the roof and I was older I found out what it was. I found out that it was bought in Long Island and never left Brooklyn. It was only regestered once and sat since like 1973. I am sure the car has only 18,000 miles because of that and the wear and tear on the clutch pedel, steering wheel and shifter. The outside of the car is pretty mangled, It is in primer and all dented. But a close look at the car and one realizes what kind of gem it is. The car is complete save the carbs and air cleaner assembly. (stolen by our own workers years ago). Through the vin#, I found out that it was the puke green and white stripes.

Anyway, after being offered tons of money for the car as is by a collector friend of my fathers, he wants to restore it. He wants it done by the top athority on these cars (whomever that may be) I must find out. He has heard that it may cost over $100k to do so.

Can anyone put me in the right direction??? Some names and steps that I must go through to verify 100% that the car is what I know it is? Any help whould be great. I can get pics and whatever if anyone is interested in following up on the restoration.

I also am interested in what the car that is completely restored by the best and documented is worth?... If it is worth doing like that, like a museum piece and not a driver. I know some people restore them very nicely but they are not worth as much.

Hello everyone. My family came across a 1967 gt500 about 20 years ago. The car was donated to church for a tax write off and was going to be scrapped because it looked like a piece of junk to the laymans eye. We were the owners of the scrap yard and quickly my father realized that it was no ordinary mustang. He put it in a building and forgot about it. When muscle cars started going through the roof and I was older I found out what it was. I found out that it was bought in Long Island and never left Brooklyn. It was only regestered once and sat since like 1973. I am sure the car has only 18,000 miles because of that and the wear and tear on the clutch pedel, steering wheel and shifter. The outside of the car is pretty mangled, It is in primer and all dented. But a close look at the car and one realizes what kind of gem it is. The car is complete save the carbs and air cleaner assembly. (stolen by our own workers years ago). Through the vin#, I found out that it was the puke green and white stripes.

Anyway, after being offered tons of money for the car as is by a collector friend of my fathers, he wants to restore it. He wants it done by the top athority on these cars (whomever that may be) I must find out. He has heard that it may cost over $100k to do so.

Can anyone put me in the right direction??? Some names and steps that I must go through to verify 100% that the car is what I know it is? Any help whould be great. I can get pics and whatever if anyone is interested in following up on the restoration.

I also am interested in what the car that is completely restored by the best and documented is worth?... If it is worth doing like that, like a museum piece and not a driver. I know some people restore them very nicely but they are not worth as much.

http://www.classic-recreations.com/

can you please tell me what exactly regestering with the regestry will do for my car?? is it necessary to for the car to be authenticated?

Alxinya:

Welcome to the site! I would recommend joining The Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) because they can help you identify various things about your car. The '67 GT500's and GT350's had several running changes during the assembly process of the car, so depending on your build date and production number they can help you identify parts that may have been unique to cars that were built around the time yours was. They can possibly put you in touch with a SAAC member in your area who can look at the car for you and help you with any questions you may have about your car. I would also recommend purchasing a "Marti" report for your car. This is a report that is put together by a gentleman who has access to all kinds of information on these cars and he can tell you how many were built with your exact combination of options, colors etc. This report is considered one of the best ways to authenticate your car. You may want to email Dave Mathews who is the SAAC registrar for the '67 Shelby Mustangs, I have found him to be very helpful and very nice to deal with. You can find his email address at www.saac.com

My wife and I have owned a '67 GT500 for over 25 years, they are a great car and alot of fun to own. If I can answer any questions about your car I would be happy to do so, I would also love to see pictures of it. I personally get more excited about seeing cars like yours that have yet to be restored than I do about seeing the finished product. Good luck! Please post some pictures when you can!

Ok I got the Vin... I lookled the car up so long ago I made a mistake on the color... It is lime green and gold, not white. The vin is 67400f7a01583. I have what looks like the registration from 1969. the last time it was registered... It is falling apart. I also thought we had at least a couple of original wheels. Maybe they were stolen? So I have no idea which ones it came with. Oh the car only has 13000 miles on it. There is no mistaking it. The interior has no wear and tear.

Ok I got the Vin... I lookled the car up so long ago I made a mistake on the color... It is lime green and gold, not white. The vin is 67400f7a01583. I have what looks like the registration from 1969. the last time it was registered... It is falling apart. I also thought we had at least a couple of original wheels. Maybe they were stolen? So I have no idea which ones it came with. Oh the car only has 13000 miles on it. There is no mistaking it. The interior has no wear and tear.

That's not a correct VIN sequence. Can you check again?

Should be like this... http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/students/Blommel/

What you are thinking of is a ford vin. The Sheby vin that I gave in the correct vin. I can even break it down for you or you can google shelby vin numbers and see for yourself

`Alxinya`

This is a proper vin 6700F7AO1583 . This vin is in the registery & the only info about this car reads ;

01583 G.T 500 Shipped to Gotham Ford (New York Ny ) 3/2/68 Invoive dated 2/26/68 . Present Owner

Unknown. Hope this helps . It is one of 2,048 Fastback G.t 500 built Total production for 67 was 3,225.

Hope this helps.

What you are thinking of is a ford vin. The Sheby vin that I gave in the correct vin. I can even break it down for you or you can google shelby vin numbers and see for yourself

Yep, I thought you were talking about the Ford VIN. My apology.

Looks like an interesting car. Thanks!

Alxinya

Can you post some pictures of engine ? There are several ways to verify if this is a true Shelby. Look for a buck tag under the hood attached near the hood hinge on the passenger side fender apron , also look for transmission & rear end tag. Look for a small tag attached to the coil hold down bolt.All these tags can help verify the car is a Shelby. Is there a door tag on the driver side door?

It is falling apart

Now that I can see OK.

It's got all the tags, it is a true shelby ang it is complete. The only things ut's missing are the carbs. I even have the air cleaner assembly. The original color is Lme gold green but some schmuck tried to make it look like a halloween car painting it orange and black. they did a crap job of it anyway. Inside the car I had found a couple of reciepts and parking tickets. nothing dating past 1971. I have a friend that ran the vin with motor vehicles and he doesn't think the car was regestered after that time. It's gonna cost over $100k to restore it the way I want it (perfect) and I will also need a place to keep it when it's done. So I am gonna wait a little longer. I just hope the prices don't jump up too much cause I know parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Alex

`Alxinya`

This is a proper vin 6700F7AO1583 . This vin is in the registery & the only info about this car reads ;

01583 G.T 500 Shipped to Gotham Ford (New York Ny ) 3/2/68 Invoive dated 2/26/68 . Present Owner

Unknown. Hope this helps . It is one of 2,048 Fastback G.t 500 built Total production for 67 was 3,225.

Hope this helps.

I don't know where you got that info but my car vin 67400f7a01583 was shipped to Wolf motors nyc "Mahwah inventory" purchased 5-24-67.

Alex

Alxinya

Can you post some pictures of engine ? There are several ways to verify if this is a true Shelby. Look for a buck tag under the hood attached near the hood hinge on the passenger side fender apron , also look for transmission & rear end tag. Look for a small tag attached to the coil hold down bolt.All these tags can help verify the car is a Shelby. Is there a door tag on the driver side door?

Actually very few '67's had door tags, none of them were supposed to have them, but a few got left on at the factory. If it does have a door tag that matches the Ford vin # of the car it is quite rare. According to the Shelby registrar there were only about 60 or so cars that had their door tags left on them. Of course if the door has been replaced it could have a door tag that goes to a different car.

• 2 weeks later...

We also found a 67 GT500 about eight years ago in a little two car garage/junk yard in Fredericksburg VA. We have completed a 5 year restoration and had the guys at SAAC judge it in the concours trailer class. If you need any help give me a call. Restoring an old Shelby is very fun if you don’t rush and give your self time to do the research.

Frank

Did you get my response yesterday? Anyway let me know if you need any help with the restoration. We have recently completed a 67 restoration and would be happy to help you with pictures or information. Many people helped us or it would most likely not have been done very correctly.

Frank

Wow, that is quite a gem you have there.

Under the poor red paint I can clearly see patches of lime gold (green) poking through. It looks like the underdash (under the radio) gauges are gone, but the 140mph speedo is there. It's plenty complete enough to be a great restoration project, good luck.

Archived