TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake "SPARE" rim

Amy, I am being told that the only way to get a spare rim for Super Snake cars is to send in the old one.

This is not practicle, I have owned about 10 different Mustangs and at least half have had some sort of Rim damage and in the past I replaced them with the spare and then purchased a spare replacement from Ford (no down time). In this case the car would be left unusable for the time it takes SAI to send a replacement. It is already an issue due to different size front and rear rims that we would have to keep 2 replacements. It is impracticle to expect us to have to buy Non SS rims to use our cars while we wait for SAI to send a replacement. This is a very expensive proposition and would probably make many of us drive around with banged up rims rather than lay up the car or buy a temporary. I have the following suggestions to alleviate the "exclusivity" issue for SAI and still allow us to own one front and one rear spare:

Stamp the vin number on back of the rim for SS owners so if they are sold they can be traced.

Stamp the word "SPARE" on the back of the rim so if we can send back the old one for replacement and still keep our cars running and looking good.

If in the future SAI is not supplying these rims this will be a major issue for us.

At some point someone is either going to end up in an accident (junkyard will sell rims) or their rims will be stolen what will happen then.

Please come up with a better solution. Every car deals with tire / rim problems. This cannot be made this difficult for people spending over $28,000 for this conversion.

If your getting rim damage on 1/2 of your owned mustangs, then you need to go back to driving school. I have NEVER damaged a rim from everyday driving.

I don't know where you live (I'm in New York) but I've had several blowouts fron road debris and pot holes which leads to damaged rims, especially with low profile tires like the super snake. I also have received scratches and dings (yes some from an accidental rub of a curb) but most were not from bad driving (you can call the curb rubs bad driving if you want). I am fussy and may keep driving with a scratch but I feel good to know I have a concours replacement in the garage if I want to show the car. Many of my old Mustang's were sold with the "fifth" rim on the spare in the trunk. Call it my safety net. I think it is not sensible to assume you will not need a replacement rim and if you do why should the car be laid up for weeks? What spare tire can be used on the super snake while we wait for a replacement? I would't drive my snake with an off size wheel will you? I think it is more ridiculous to assume I want a spare rim to sell it then to keep it for a car that will have a $90K investment in.

If your getting rim damage on 1/2 of your owned mustangs, then you need to go back to driving school. I have NEVER damaged a rim from everyday driving.

Never say Never Coldy,

It will come back and bite you in the ass.

I don't know where you live (I'm in New York) but I've had several blowouts fron road debris and pot holes which leads to damaged rims, especially with low profile tires like the super snake. I also have received scratches and dings (yes some from an accidental rub of a curb) but most were not from bad driving (you can call the curb rubs bad driving if you want). I am fussy and may keep driving with a scratch but I feel good to know I have a concours replacement in the garage if I want to show the car. Many of my old Mustang's were sold with the "fifth" rim on the spare in the trunk. Call it my safety net. I think it is not sensible to assume you will not need a replacement rim and if you do why should the car be laid up for weeks? What spare tire can be used on the super snake while we wait for a replacement? I would't drive my snake with an off size wheel will you? I think it is more ridiculous to assume I want a spare rim to sell it then to keep it for a car that will have a $90K investment in.

When one of our POS cash registers go down we call the manufacturer and they send out a replacement with a pick-up slip for DHL, UPS, Fed EX, etc enclosed with the replacement part. It actually includes the cost of shipping and they back charge us for the return freight. We are required to immediately mail the damaged goods back in the original box that the replacement part came in. It sounds a little cumbersome, but it really works quite well.

If SAI adopts a similar policy, you would have a road rash rim for a couple of days that you would have to drive around on, which is livable for most. If you have an important show, you could always have it next day air. In any event, there should be some sort of policy that doesn't down your car for several days or weeks. Shelby has a history of being delivery date challenged on some issues. It's too early to tell if this will be one of those issues.

Can't the original wheels be put back on while waiting for a replacement?

That would mean we would have to swap all 4 to use the car. One will not work (size difference could damage car especially rear if driven). I don't know about you but I would rather store one front and one back that is an exact replacement than have to swap and store 4 wheels. Also we could E-Bay the four incorrect old ones to finance the purchase of the two correct new ones.

The same rim- without the SuperSnake inscription- will be offered for sale so you could have your '5th rim'. You could theoretically purchase a spare rim in the event of damage. When the event occurs, you have an identically designed rim- without the SS inscription- until you can send in your rim for replacement. Is that satisfactory?

As far as comparing cash registers to rims- don't bother. One costs cash and the other has it naturally! :hysterical:

We are interested in alternatives, seriously, so it's always a good thing to hear ideas! Thanks!

Chris

The same rim- without the SuperSnake inscription- will be offered for sale so you could have your '5th rim'. You could theoretically purchase a spare rim in the event of damage. When the event occurs, you have an identically designed rim- without the SS inscription- until you can send in your rim for replacement. Is that satisfactory?

As far as comparing cash registers to rims- don't bother. One costs cash and the other has it naturally! :hysterical:

We are interested in alternatives, seriously, so it's always a good thing to hear ideas! Thanks!

Chris

That would be fine except the front and rear rims are different sizes. We would have to lay out money for 2 spares that would both be temps since they do not have the correct outward appearance. Can SAI either make all 4 rims the same size like the original design or come up with an inscription (Vin # for example on the back of the spare rims like they put on the engine blocks) to prevent fraudulent reselling.

Thank you for looking into a solution. I really believe this will be an issue for the people that actually drive their cars and not wait for them to appreciate in their garages.

The problem is that we do not want bogus SuperSnakes running around, and since these special wheels are a key componant, we want to keep a short leash on these.

Look at it this way: If you were to order new spare SS rims with or without the inscription, it would look identical -but without the inscription.

As for making the wheels the same size all around, here are the issues:

1) If the rears were the same size as the fronts, you would get no traction (trust me, I know) :hysterical:

2) If you made the front set the same size as the rears, you would have a turning radius of about 3 miles as the rears are very wide.

So either way, it comes down to a convenience thing. If you want spares, this is the way we will do them. I am discussing with the Mod Shops ways to swap-- ie: leave your broken wheel there, they sell you a replacement immediately, they send back the damaged one.

Ultimately, they would be responsible for the return. If the mod shop did not return the wheel (for example, they were selling wheels out the back door and did not have an original to return) they would lose their shop. It's just not that simple as we need to develop processes to implement & track the return so as to ensure no cloning.

If we can successfully implement this process, then you would be able to get your wheels immediately. How's that???

We are serious about protecting the value of this model- and others- that are real Shelbys. Hope this helps.

Chris

The problem is that we do not want bogus SuperSnakes running around, and since these special wheels are a key componant, we want to keep a short leash on these.

Look at it this way: If you were to order new spare SS rims with or without the inscription, it would look identical -but without the inscription.

1) If the rears were the same size as the fronts, you would get no traction (trust me, I know) :hysterical:

2) If you made the front set the same size as the rears, you would have a turning radius of about 3 miles as the rears are very wide.

So either way, it comes down to a convenience thing. If you want spares, this is the way we will do them. I am discussing with the Mod Shops ways to swap-- ie: leave your broken wheel there, they sell you a replacement immediately, they send back the damaged one.

Ultimately, they would be responsible for the return. If the mod shop did not return the wheel (for example, they were selling wheels out the back door and did not have an original to return) they would lose their shop. It's just not that simple as we need to develop processes to implement & track the return so as to ensure no cloning.

If we can successfully implement this process, then you would be able to get your wheels immediately. How's that???

We are serious about protecting the value of this model- and others- that are real Shelbys. Hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

As always I agree! I value your stance on keeping authenticity!!

Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Thanks Chris!

As always I agree! I value your stance on keeping authenticity!!

Keep up the good work and thanks again!

I second that, ture maybe a short termed drag but I think worth it.

Vin# on rims sounds good but can be ground off and cleaned with acid an wash and refinished. making detection hard.

Off subject question.

Put another hundred mile on mime yesterday, tested it out on some winding Mt. roads. corners good at 40 to 50 mph in 3rd & 4th gear. way better then my 69 ever did.

Heres' the But.

It has rear wheel hop going over less then smoth roads.

Will the new ss suspension up grade reduce wheel hop? and which one of the two current choices do you recommend?

Keep them turning as sweet and short as you can. As far as I am concerned, the better a vehicle turns, the shorter the turn radius the better and safer it is.

Do everything you must and can to keep and help these power house's turn on a dime and in the radius of that dime.

I bet more 60's cars were junked because of their ability go faster then they could turn and brake.

thanks.

I second that, ture maybe a short termed drag but I think worth it.

Vin# on rims sounds good but can be ground off and cleaned with acid an wash and refinished. making detection hard.

Off subject question.

Put another hundred mile on mime yesterday, tested it out on some winding Mt. roads. corners good at 40 to 50 mph in 3rd & 4th gear. way better then my 69 ever did.

Heres' the But.

It has rear wheel hop going over less then smoth roads.

Will the new ss suspension up grade reduce wheel hop? and which one of the two current choices do you recommend?

Thanks! As far as your question, wellll, solid rear axles & bumps are never a good mix ;)

I have not driven both types yet. My guess would be that the optional upgrade with adjustable ride height & dampening may be a better choice as you can dial it in (and the ride height) for more choices. More choices = more options for handling characteristics, in many cases. Sooo, right now I am leaning that way, but as I said, I haven't driven one with the optional suspension yet. I will update when I do, okay? Thanks!!!

Keep them turning as sweet and short as you can. As far as I am concerned, the better a vehicle turns, the shorter the turn radius the better and safer it is.

Do everything you must and can to keep and help these power house's turn on a dime and in the radius of that dime.

I bet more 60's cars were junked because of their ability go faster then they could turn and brake.

thanks.

Couldn't agree more. The Super Snake corners great. I cannot disclose at what speed it went through the slalom, but it was very impressive. Scary-like. And the stop would almost put you through the windshield. Really.

Now, that' what I call a good reason for seatbelts! :hysterical:

Chris

Is the only difference the center cap becuase if that is the case and the center cap can be switched to the "spare" rim then there is no problem. Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference with these rims. The gallery photos do not show a "Supersnake" insciption on anything but the center cap. Please clarify.

Amy, I am being told that the only way to get a spare rim for Super Snake cars is to send in the old one.

This is not practicle, I have owned about 10 different Mustangs and at least half have had some sort of Rim damage and in the past I replaced them with the spare and then purchased a spare replacement from Ford (no down time). In this case the car would be left unusable for the time it takes SAI to send a replacement. It is already an issue due to different size front and rear rims that we would have to keep 2 replacements. It is impracticle to expect us to have to buy Non SS rims to use our cars while we wait for SAI to send a replacement. This is a very expensive proposition and would probably make many of us drive around with banged up rims rather than lay up the car or buy a temporary. I have the following suggestions to alleviate the "exclusivity" issue for SAI and still allow us to own one front and one rear spare:

Stamp the vin number on back of the rim for SS owners so if they are sold they can be traced.

Stamp the word "SPARE" on the back of the rim so if we can send back the old one for replacement and still keep our cars running and looking good.

If in the future SAI is not supplying these rims this will be a major issue for us.

At some point someone is either going to end up in an accident (junkyard will sell rims) or their rims will be stolen what will happen then.

Please come up with a better solution. Every car deals with tire / rim problems. This cannot be made this difficult for people spending over $28,000 for this conversion.

My recommendation would be to use the spare from your GT500. It's in the trunk under the mat. You have to look really hard for it. It will take some time, but I'm sure you find it. :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

HSURB

Is the only difference the center cap becuase if that is the case and the center cap can be switched to the "spare" rim then there is no problem. Maybe I am misunderstanding the difference with these rims. The gallery photos do not show a "Supersnake" insciption on anything but the center cap. Please clarify.

The ONLY difference you will see between the 20" Super Snake Rims that come with the package at SAI or TASCA is the "aftermarket look-a-like" Shelby Super Snake rims do not have the "casted" insciptions that say "Super Snake". The Center Hubcaps can go from one to another & back again when your new replacement rims come in.

See photos below

SS package rim

post-768-1193582803_thumb.jpg

Shelby Aftermarket

Shelby_Forged_After_market_20_inch_rim.doc

The ONLY difference you will see between the 20" Super Snake Rims that come with the package at SAI or TASCA is the "aftermarket look-a-like" Shelby Super Snake rims do not have the "casted" insciptions that say "Super Snake". The Center Hubcaps can go from one to another & back again when your new replacement rims come in.

See photos below

SS package rim

Shelby Aftermarket

Therfore the problem of matching spares remain. This may be the only near 100K car that you cannot own a matching spare. Why not release the rims and control the center cap replacement by exchange. Even if we were waiting for a center cap replacement, the "laid up" issue is over. If the spares are limited to one front and one rear without cenercaps per purchased SS package it would be of little use to cloning. Two people would have to sell there spares (I believe little chance by SS owners) and someone would still have to make fake cenercaps. This seems like a very low possibility and a viable compromise. Any comments................

Therfore the problem of matching spares remain. This may be the only near 100K car that you cannot own a matching spare. Why not release the rims and control the center cap replacement by exchange. Even if we were waiting for a center cap replacement, the "laid up" issue is over. If the spares are limited to one front and one rear without cenercaps per purchased SS package it would be of little use to cloning. Two people would have to sell there spares (I believe little chance by SS owners) and someone would still have to make fake cenercaps. This seems like a very low possibility and a viable compromise. Any comments................

Vetts & Vipers don't have the same rim sizes front to rear so why should a Stock or modified SHELBY?

If you don't like it, Don't buy it & STOP COMPLAINING about this issue, trust me you will not win on this issue.

Vetts & Vipers don't have the same rim sizes front to rear so why should a Stock or modified SHELBY?

If you don't like it, Don't buy it & STOP COMPLAINING about this issue, trust me you will not win on this issue.

I'm glad you brought up the Vette and Viper. They have a much wider spread than 255 and 275. I believe it is 245 and 315 so they justify the different size rims which by the way I agree with. It is the tire size that doesn't justify the rim sizes. In fact Pirelli will tell you (if you bother to talk to the manufacturer instead of shoot from the hip) that the 275's have no advantage maybe a disadvantage on the 10" rim. No other performance car I've seen has as little as a 20mm difference from front to rear. We should get 295's on the rear and keep the 10" rim period. It's ridiculous that we are going from 285 to 275. I am just E-Baying the my 275's and putting on 295's with the required adjustable panhard. It seems such a waste for me and SAI. The Road and Track numbers would have been so much better with 295's.

The driver has a lot to do with those crappy times so when you make the changes after you get it, please let us know how it works out for you & please document the time differences in the Slalom course & skid pad numbers in G-force when your done :shift:

Just found Pirelli P-Zero's 295/30ZR20's fits our 10" rear rims and is the same 27" outside diameter as the stock GT500 Tire. We can still run the 255/35ZR20's up front . Aston Martin Vanquish uses aspect ratio's with Pirelli of 30ZR rear and 35ZR front. SAI can we get these for the rear? Should help loads on traction and fits our cars!

Archived