TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warning! The Krylon 1305 Will Smear Shelby Sig!!

wildcat

I just got my signed dash plaque, and was so excited. I had been told by the guys at SVT that the Krylon 1305 was a great way to protect the signature, so I already had purchased it.

Last night, I sprayed a very light coat over the dash plaque, and to my horror the Sharpie signature of Carroll Shelby started to smear!!! NOOOOO! I'm still in a state of shock. Please be very careful!

The plaque is fine. The Krylon just seems to liquify the Sharpie and it starts smearing and smudging. I think I'll call SVT and see if there's something I can do, like send it back to be re-signed or something.

Yeah I shook the can! I followed the instructions, but it made the Sharpie start bleeding like it was crayola or something. I'll post a pic tonight.

The nice guy I spoke to on the phone from SAI said that I can e-mail him a pic and explanation and he'll "see what he can do". That's all I can ask for at this point.

The "LBY" smeared, but the "Carrol She" is still relatively good. You'll see what I mean when I post the pic. I didn't overspray, I didn't try to wipe it or blow on it or anything. It just started bleeding!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yeah I shook the can! I followed the instructions, but it made the Sharpie start bleeding like it was crayola or something. I'll post a pic tonight.

The nice guy I spoke to on the phone from SAI said that I can e-mail him a pic and explanation and he'll "see what he can do". That's all I can ask for at this point.

The "LBY" smeared, but the "Carrol She" is still relatively good. You'll see what I mean when I post the pic. I didn't overspray, I didn't try to wipe it or blow on it or anything. It just started bleeding!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Bummer, man. I sure hope Carroll finds it in his heart to sign another one for you.

I used the Krylon product on my plaque and there was no smearing, smudging, bleeding, etc. whatsoever. I didn't coat it right away (waited about 3 weeks), so maybe having more time to dry made a difference. :shrug:

Me Too

I had no problems

define very light coat

for the ink to run tit must have been "Wet"????

Sorry to hear you had trouble

Me Too

I had no problems

define very light coat

for the ink to run tit must have been "Wet"????

Sorry to hear you had trouble

I was really afraid of bleeding. When I did a test run on a piece of aluminum scrap, the sharpie bled pretty bad.

When I sprayed the plaque, I made seriously light coats to start. The first 1/2 dozen coats were super short sprays...maybe 1/2 second spraying time each. Just short bursts from about 10 inches aways with 10 minutes drying time between each. After that, I felt more comfortable putting down a heavier coat.

Again, I hope you get another one, especially since SVT recommended the product.

That's a bummer, but I was expecting worse.... I could almost live with that if I had to.....

There is no way I could live with that plaque in my car.

I had the same fear that would happen to me.

Me no spray mine.

Not worth it.

The position of the plaque is in a sun / UV protected area pretty much.

I suggest leaving the replacement plaque alone.

If your worried about it fading, Mount it like this:

It will last forever this way!

DashPlaque002.jpg

I just got my signed dash plaque, and was so excited. I had been told by the guys at SVT that the Krylon 1305 was a great way to protect the signature, so I already had purchased it.

Last night, I sprayed a very light coat over the dash plaque, and to my horror the Sharpie signature of Carroll Shelby started to smear!!! NOOOOO! I'm still in a state of shock. Please be very careful!

It appears they pointed you to the incorrect product. The Krylon you'll want to use is coded 1303 Matte, UV Rated clear acrylic finish. You can find it in arts and crafts stores like Michaels. I went to about 5 stores to find it. This is what artists use to protect their paintings etc. It worked great. As with anything you are clear coating...shoot a light spray over the entire area you want protected. Wait at least 10 minutes and do it again...and so on and so on. Good luck if you decide to try it again. I personally think it is very important to do this if you are planning to keep the car for many years. There are all kinds of things that can happen if you don't have protection...now here come the jokes.

It appears they pointed you to the incorrect product. The Krylon you'll want to use is coded 1303 Matte, UV Rated clear acrylic finish. You can find it in arts and crafts stores like Michaels. I went to about 5 stores to find it. This is what artists use to protect their paintings etc. It worked great. As with anything you are clear coating...shoot a light spray over the entire area you want protected. Wait at least 10 minutes and do it again...and so on and so on. Good luck if you decide to try it again. I personally think it is very important to do this if you are planning to keep the car for many years. There are all kinds of things that can happen if you don't have protection...now here come the jokes.

I have been using a feather duster to dust mine off. It sounds like Rip has the right paint, but do a test with it on some similar material if you feel you must do this.

Rip: How many coats did you apply. My plaque should be in next week and I think I will go this route.

Thanks,

DC

I used the Krylon 1309 - Matte UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating. I applied a 1/2 dozen VERY light coats, waiting 10 minutes between each. Then applied a couple heavier coats, also waiting 10 minutes between each. No runs, no drips, no errors.

****UPDATE*******

The GREAT guys at ShelbyPerformanceParts are taking care of this for me!!

YEEHAWWW!! What customer service. I LOVE those guys! That scores big points in my book for them to take care of me in my time of need!!

They are going to re-issue me a new one, and at a very fair cost of $50 to remake it. That seems more than reasonable to me!

Thanks ShelbyPerformanceParts! Class acts!

:party2:

****UPDATE*******

YEEHAWWW!! What customer service. I LOVE those guys! That scores big points in my book for them to take care of me in my time of need!!

They are going to re-issue me a new one, and at a very fair cost of $50 to remake it. That seems more than reasonable to me!

I bet you don't paint this one. :mellow:

****UPDATE*******

Glad to see you got it sorted wildcat. Well done Shelby parts :)

Rip: How many coats did you apply. My plaque should be in next week and I think I will go this route.

Thanks,

DC

DC,

I had the number wrong. After going back and looking at the can it is 1309 like rpretzel mentioned...the name is exactly how I listed it though. I used 5 light coats. Be sure and shoot the first two very light.This way you actually put a seal over the object you are covering and after that you can do no wrong. I sprayed mine on while it was on the center dash as I have another Shelby signature right on the dash, so I covered both that and the plaque. In my case I didn't want to over do it as I wanted everything to blend in. I did tape the air vents etc. It really does work and after a certain number of coats , I don't think you're adding to the sealing process...it's like taking too many vitamins...at some point your body can only absorb so much. Because this does work and very well at that, I can't see a reason for not doing it.

What if someones coffee flies up on the dash during a quick stop. What if a mechanic rubs it accidently with a substance...and last but not least, things do fade and wear out over time. This particular product number is used for very expensive paintings, shetches and chalk drawings. Those artists trust it and it does really work...just have the patience and take your time on those first two light coats and you'll be a very happy camper. I used to worry about these signatures...not anymore. Well there's my two cents. Good luck!

Rip

I spent hours and hours doing research before deciding on a course of action. Leaving it unprotected was not an option for me; I have other sharpie signed collectibles which have all faded over time. These are items that are in my home and not exposed to direct sunlight. I figured I had to do something because I would never be happy knowing the signature would eventually fade away, especially since it would be exposed to heat and direct sunlight being inside the automobile.

I ended up following the advice I found on various art and collectible sites, and hit it with Krylon. I have to say the Krylon did a magnificent job. It did not streak or smear the signature in any way, and after putting down about a dozen coats the piece looks no different than it did before, I can’t even tell anything was done to it. That being said Krylon will smear a sharpie marker if you put down too heavy a coat and the liquid pools, so if you do take this route please be careful!

I used the Krylon UV resistant acrylic clear with Matte finish. When I sprayed the plaque, I made VERY light coats to start. The first 1/2 dozen coats were short single pass sprays, nothing more than a mist. I allowed for 10 minutes drying time between each coat. After that, I felt more comfortable putting down six heavier coats which consisted of 4-6 misting each. The Krylon is supposed to bond to metal, is guaranteed not to yellow, and the UV resistance should keep the Sharpie form fading.

All and all I could not be happier with the result, and it did not cost me 50 bucks like the body shop wanted. I’ll enjoy the plaque much more knowing that it is protected.

Tim

post-10510-1193491646_thumb.jpg

post-10510-1193491646_thumb.jpg

Archived