TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Engine Tick Revisited

mastersmech1

My GT500 has seemed to have a ticking sound that is more pronounced when the engine is warm. It is louder on the drivers side and seems to be coming from down low. It is most noticable when at a bank or fast food drive through as the sound is amplified off of the adjacent wall. I dropped it off yesterday at the dealer and two techs came out and spent 30 minutes with me listening and debating whether they thought it was actually a problem. I told them that I had a friend ( I use that term loosely, SCGT500 ) that had the same car and didn't seem to make the noise when compared side by side. They said that they would like to put it on the lift and get a better look at it. They also said that they would contact Ford to see if any issues had been found elsewhere in the system. This noise has never been really loud or very noticable, it just annoys me when I hear it. It was actually more noticable yesterday when we stood further away from the car. I'll report my findings ASAP.

Valve clap????????????.This is normal to a degree. Why it seams to only be on the dr side,don't know but my car does the same thing. The thiner headers will amp the sound for this was hardly herd when I had the stock manifold on.................

Valve clap????????????.This is normal to a degree. Why it seams to only be on the dr side,don't know but my car does the same thing. The thiner headers will amp the sound for this was hardly herd when I had the stock manifold on.................

I guess I'm going to go with that because they just called and said every tech in the shop has looked at it, Ford has been called and it has been decided that it is a normal noise. I guess thats the final answer. I will, however, be purchasing an extended warranty.

MastersMech1

You could try to change the brand of fuel. Different company's add different things to the fuel.

If it doesn't go away then purchase the warranty.

I have a question

How many miles do you put on it now because if you don't put 10,000 miles on it in a year then you can purchase time and it will be cheeper.

I have 3500 on mine and my warranty will expire long before I get the 60,000 on her.

I would make a suggestion to everyone with this noise. Take it to the dealer and at least get it documented that you noted the issue BEFORE the warranty expired. That way, if it ends up being some type of "real" problem, you could logically argue that you noted the issue inside the warranty period but were told it was not a problem. I think this would be an excellent way to protect yourself from that noise costing you dearly after the warranty period.

I've noticed this same noise on mine, but it's very infrequent....only heard it three times in 4,500 miles.

Dave

MastersMech1

You could try to change the brand of fuel. Different company's add different things to the fuel.

If it doesn't go away then purchase the warranty.

I have a question

How many miles do you put on it now because if you don't put 10,000 miles on it in a year then you can purchase time and it will be cheeper.

I have 3500 on mine and my warranty will expire long before I get the 60,000 on her.

I've used Exxon then switched to BP. They are the upper grade, I believe. I think I'll take your advice on the time over the miles on the extended warranty. The tech at Ford said that I should recommend to anyone having the problem to go in and have it looked at so Ford might have some insight into the fact that people think they have an issue.

I've used Exxon then switched to BP. They are the upper grade, I believe. I think I'll take your advice on the time over the miles on the extended warranty. The tech at Ford said that I should recommend to anyone having the problem to go in and have it looked at so Ford might have some insight into the fact that people think they have an issue.

I've used BP from day one. You can listen to mine over the weekend. I haven't heard any ticking, but my radio is usually too loud.

I brought my GT500 to the dealer for a similar ticking or tapping sound coming from under the front of the car at idle on the drivers side after the engine is warm at a stop. It is intermittent and most obvious when a window or door is open or next to concrete wall. You cannot hear it when the windows are closed. I was concerned it would not happen for the dealer but took him for a ride and he was able to hear it. They looked at it and concluded normal valve train noise. While the frequency of the tap seems to be tied to engine speed like valve train noise, the tapping is not consistent. You hear tapping, it stops tapping for several seconds followed by more tapping. More like exhaust or something rattling under the car. Love to hear if you find anything new.

Kirk

A tick or high pitch sound is more indicative of a valve train noise vs a lower end noise. lower end noise internally generally isnt high pitch .. just the oppsite.

My SHO has a valve noise thats very significant once the motor gets warmed up. I have re-opened the valve covers twice just to make sure all is snug since i recently replaced the cams .. I believe its the timing chain that connects both cams at the back of the motor hitting the valve cover and nothing to worry about it ... with higher rpms .. it disappears ... which inidicates the chain is being strecthced to the higher rpms and no long touches

I brought my GT500 to the dealer for a similar ticking or tapping sound coming from under the front of the car at idle on the drivers side after the engine is warm at a stop. It is intermittent and most obvious when a window or door is open or next to concrete wall. You cannot hear it when the windows are closed. I was concerned it would not happen for the dealer but took him for a ride and he was able to hear it. They looked at it and concluded normal valve train noise. While the frequency of the tap seems to be tied to engine speed like valve train noise, the tapping is not consistent. You hear tapping, it stops tapping for several seconds followed by more tapping. More like exhaust or something rattling under the car. Love to hear if you find anything new.

Kirk

Sounds very similar to mine.

For what it's worth, I have intermittently heard the same noise... only when idling in the garage, after a drive

I will be posting a vid of mine shortly so everyone can hear my "tick." Seems to be coming from the passenger side head and gets louder when the car is hot. Mine is louder on the passenger side though. Will be going to the dealer next week to have it fixed.

Mine is bad enough that someone pulled up next to me in traffic, honked the horn, then told me I needed to put oil in my car as it was "knocking." I immediately pulled over and checked the oil and it was full.

I will be posting a vid of mine shortly so everyone can hear my "tick." Seems to be coming from the passenger side head and gets louder when the car is hot. Mine is louder on the passenger side though. Will be going to the dealer next week to have it fixed.

Mine is bad enough that someone pulled up next to me in traffic, honked the horn, then told me I needed to put oil in my car as it was "knocking." I immediately pulled over and checked the oil and it was full.

That sounds worse than mine. Post that video when possible.

Orf, thanks for saving me some shrimp.

Grabber, Shut your pie hole, or no Moon Pies for you. :finger:

Archived