TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When Should Boost Gauge Move

NCStangFanatic

I have recently purchased an '08 GT500 and I have a few questions on the boost gauge. I have noticed that no matter what I do the boost gauge never moves while in first or second gear. I really have to get on it in third to make it move and I have never seen it go above 5. Is this normal? For some reason I thought it should register in all gears. Thanks for the input. :headscratch:

What color is your car?

Red, right?

It IS one of the slow colors, isn't it??

:hysterical2:

Shoulda gone "back in black" baby! :happy feet:

IMG_0807.jpg

RED my a** .... its one of the faster colors ... his must be non red .. ok all kidding aside ... you should have boost in all gears.

A new 08 Gt500 that I just recently drove only had about 6 psi max .. maybe 7 but i think closer to 6 psi. My 07 was as posted .. 9 psi. So it could be the boost gauge ... thats more than likely the culprit

Best way to find out is to dyno your car and have them tap into your boost line for a internal reading

That will give u your power, A/F ratio and boost reading as well

Bring it by, I'll get it to show boost. :spiteful:

If you can hear it, perhaps the guage is faulty.

bringing up the rpms is not enough- you've got to bury the pedal to raise the boost. My prior Cobra's would show boost easier....At first I too thought I was on the alternate calibration....it just wanted a little more pedal.

The owners supplement is clear on when boost becomes available...you need to romp these things pretty hard before you actually begin to see it produce any boost, don't be afraid, that’s what its made for!

When you accelerated to 70 mph how fast do you go from 0 to 70? Just cruising up to 70 isn't going to cause the gauge to move. If you REALLY get on it you will see the gauge move. It has to create a lot of pressure in the supercharger before it will move the pressure gauge. Now if you really get on it as in 0-100 in a few seconds you will see that gauge move. Cruising up to 70 or cruising around at 70 won't move the gauge because that alone will not build enough pressure to move the gauge. It only creates pressure when you go all out at full bore.

Unlike a turbocharger, the supercharger is driven directly off of the crankshaft, the harder you mash your right foot the more demand for gas and air, as the RPM's rise the rotors in the supercharger spin faster and boost will build....this whole cycle happens very fast and the boost gauge will be very erratic if you do not keep your foot it long enough to look down at the gauge.

Hopefully this helps.

How many miles do you have on it? Safe guard in the program to keep supercharger from coming in. I know the owners manual says 5 miles but mine didn't come in until 48 miles and many said the 5 miles is actually 50 miles.......If you have many more miles than that I'd go back to your dealer and have them check the guage.

I have a new 08. At first I thought the same as you ,very little boost 1st and 2nd and the boost dropped off very quickly. I soon realized that you won't see any boost if your not accelerating hard. I did notice that now with 500 mi on it that the boost does climb higher and doesn't drop off as quickly as before and I can get about 7-8 lbs. I haven't taken above 5,000 rpm,like to do the old school break-in. The car pull like a freight train and I can't imagine with gears and tune. I need to get used to the stock power first. Hope this helps!

Archived