TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 Production

GT500-07

A slam dunk you say?

A group of car consumers remorsefull after agreeing to their respective retailers price gouging is going to file a complaint against Ford because the same product can be purchased for less at some future point in time. Describing that situation as a "slam dunk" case is laughable.

Not if Ford can be shown to have made fraudulent statements and claims with the intent to drive the pricing up for the benifit of its dealer network. IF that can be proven, then the case is slam dunk fraud. If not, its just buyers remorse.

I paid a 5k ADM and always felt the ADM was for the privledge of owning and driving this car for a year or two when others could not. Past that point pricing would settle. I do feel Ford represented that THIS PARTICULAR special edition car would only be a two year run of 18 to 20k units. Now, if they decide to produce a very similar car in 09 that is some other special edition, well.....thats what car makers do.

Don't know where I would fall on a class action suit though. Most of those only benifit the lawyers, not the planitifs so what's the point. Ford is hurting already.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes you wonder if the GT500 will not be produced in 09, but a different Shelby version will be and it will be called a GT350 ?

The statement 'Carroll's involvment with Ford is long term, well beyond the model year 2010' can mean many things. Many Shelby models have come since '06, GTH, GT, GT500, etc. Maybe they are thinking of ending production of all of these. This would add to the collectivity and then create a new car - the GT350?

Just a thought.

Makes you wonder if the GT500 will not be produced in 09, but a different Shelby version will be and it will be called a GT350 ?

The statement 'Carroll's involvment with Ford is long term, well beyond the model year 2010' can mean many things. Many Shelby models have come since '06, GTH, GT, GT500, etc. Maybe they are thinking of ending production of all of these. This would add to the collectivity and then create a new car - the GT350?

Just a thought.

Your thought is not correct.

Did you read Amy's statement above? Carroll's contract for the GT500 is long term. I am not saying they will not build a GT350. Where do you get it could mean many things? That statement does not mean many things. It is simple to understand.

Your thought is not correct.

Did you read Amy's statement above? Carroll's contract for the GT500 is long term. I am not saying they will not build a GT350. Where do you get it could mean many things? That statement does not mean many things. It is simple to understand.

Big party last night....lots of drinks. Not thinking clear. For some reason I did not see the GT500 reference, sorry dude. My thought stands corrected.

A slam dunk you say?

A group of car consumers remorsefull after agreeing to their respective retailers price gouging is going to file a complaint against Ford because the same product can be purchased for less at some future point in time. Describing that situation as a "slam dunk" case is laughable.

It has nothing to do with what you might be able to purchase the product for at some future point.

It has to do with building the product beyond the period of time they represented which was a direct cause of driving up prices.

How many other vehicles in the $45K MSRP price range have you seen in the past that created such a demand to drive prices $20K + over MSRP????

If Ford had NOT represented to the public that they are only building this car for two years only with a limited production of only 18K - 20K total units over the two year period, would the demand have been there to pay $15k, $20k, $25k and $30k + over MSRP????

In my opinion it would have not! Sure, many would have paid $5k and maybe as much as $10k over, regardless, but $15k - $30k +?????

Your statement merely implies that if Ford built this for two years only and later prices fell then a slam dunk case is laughable. It has nothing to do with that.

The bottomline is this. Ford said two years and limited production of only 18K - 20K, period! This lead dealers to telling consumers the same thing. Consumers were mislead into believing this. The result was it created a false market demand that drove prices up to 600% + of what normal ADM's typically average for a new hot product.

Once they officially announce this will be built for 09 and if prices come tumbling down (which I think they would) then this will be all the proof needed to show the manufacturer created a false market on this car by misleading the public that it was going to be a two year limited production. Now if prices remain stable as to what they have been over the first two years then I guess it wouldn't matter because there wouldn't be any damages to prove.

Now if Ford is planning a very early launch of the 2010 model where 09 will be a very limited run and only 4k - 5k GT500's for 09, that MIGHT (but doubtful) be enough to keep the demand strong enough to avoid the demand from crashing on these.

We shall all know soon enough what will happen with this.

It has nothing to do with what you might be able to purchase the product for at some future point.

It has to do with building the product beyond the period of time they represented which was a direct cause of driving up prices.

How many other vehicles in the $45K MSRP price range have you seen in the past that created such a demand to drive prices $20K + over MSRP????

If Ford had NOT represented to the public that they are only building this car for two years only with a limited production of only 18K - 20K total units over the two year period, would the demand have been there to pay $15k, $20k, $25k and $30k + over MSRP????

In my opinion it would have not! Sure, many would have paid $5k and maybe as much as $10k over, regardless, but $15k - $30k +?????

Your statement merely implies that if Ford built this for two years only and later prices fell then a slam dunk case is laughable. It has nothing to do with that.

The bottomline is this. Ford said two years and limited production of only 18K - 20K, period! This lead dealers to telling consumers the same thing. Consumers were mislead into believing this. The result was it created a false market demand that drove prices up to 600% + of what normal ADM's typically average for a new hot product.

Once they officially announce this will be built for 09 and if prices come tumbling down (which I think they would) then this will be all the proof needed to show the manufacturer created a false market on this car by misleading the public that it was going to be a two year limited production. Now if prices remain stable as to what they have been over the first two years then I guess it wouldn't matter because there wouldn't be any damages to prove.

Now if Ford is planning a very early launch of the 2010 model where 09 will be a very limited run and only 4k - 5k GT500's for 09, that MIGHT (but doubtful) be enough to keep the demand strong enough to avoid the demand from crashing on these.

We shall all know soon enough what will happen with this.

I tend to agree with most you say about this issue, however feel if they do, they do, and not much we can do about it. However, since you are closer to Ford's ear than most of us, have you ever thought to voice your opinions direct, as a dealer, to Ford? Your voice hold truer than ours. Give it a try and let us know. It would be interesting.

I tend to agree with most you say about this issue, however feel if they do, they do, and not much we can do about it. However, since you are closer to Ford's ear than most of us, have you ever thought to voice your opinions direct, as a dealer, to Ford? Your voice hold truer than ours. Give it a try and let us know. It would be interesting.

Our voice seems to fall on deaf ears.

I have asked Ford numerous times to let us dealers know what is going on as to prevent us from giving out false information to consumers. Such as, is the GT500 going to be for 07 and 08 only or is it going to be built for 09? Telling consumers only 2 years when it fact it will end up being 3 years, or more, is going to piss consumers off for telling them false information.

I have always been told by Ford NO FOR 09! 07 and 08 only! 08 is it!

Now the answer I get is, I don't know! No one can answer this with a simple yes or no!

For the most part, dealers are and always have been on a last to know basis. The general public will probably hear about the 09 before the dealers will. The only way dealers will know before being told anything is if they read the press releases daily to keep up on what is coming out. Ford tells the press first which is picked up by the consumers first and dealers are told last.

This is why it is so common for the consumer to walk into dealerships and inquire about something new coming out and getting that dear in the headlights look from dealers because they do not know anything about it.

Consumers read about it, dealers are not told anything, and they are left to look like morons to the general public.

Dealers have been complaining about this for years! Ford keeps promising to fix it but they never do.

If it were up to me every dealer would be informed of anything at least a week ahead of time before it is released to the press or revealed at some auto show or press release.

Instead it could be weeks after the fact before Ford informs the dealers of anything.

Dude- a couple of things. First, I was told, by the Ford vice-president responsible for the development of the GT 500, along with a couple of thousand other people that the GT 500 would be built as long as there was a demand for them. That simple fact has been widely reported on this forum since the GT 500 was first re-introduced. Carroll Shelby was present when these statements were made . Secondly- Surely , you don't mean to suggest that dealers and salesmen somehow have restricted access to materials that are available to the public regarding Ford products?

wtcobra

Dude- a couple of things. First, I was told, by the Ford vice-president responsible for the development of the GT 500, along with a couple of thousand other people that the GT 500 would be built as long as there was a demand for them. That simple fact has been widely reported on this forum since the GT 500 was first re-introduced. Carroll Shelby was present when these statements were made . Secondly- Surely , you don't mean to suggest that dealers and salesmen somehow have restricted access to materials that are available to the public regarding Ford products?

wtcobra

No, what I am suggesting is that Ford has a responsibility to keep their dealers informed before letting them hear of things first by the consumers. It is not the responsibility of the dealers to read every magazine and newspaper and web site in order to know what Ford is planning. It is Ford's job to inform the dealers.

What you were told is the opposite of what dealers were told.

So are you suggesting dealers should ignore what Ford tells then first hand and instead listen to what is being posted on web sites and written in articles being reported by a 3rd party?

I have never heard anyone from Ford state anything about building these for as long as there is a demand for these nor I have I ever heard anyone from Ford state they would build it for more than two years.

I have however heard directly from Ford that this was a limited production for only two years. I heard it first hand at the Chicago Auto Show which came directly from Ford as they stood there and told this to the general public.

I have heard them say the same thing via Ford TV which was aired to all the dealers.

I have heard them deny any plans for 09 and specifically say no for 09. 07 and 08 only.

All of this coming from Ford.

To this day Ford still will not say if they are building it for 09 or not. The brand managers are still saying they have not heard anything and as far as they know they are not building it for 09.

The ONLY place I have ever heard anything about this being built for 09 is from this web site. There has nothing been anything from Ford other than no 09.

Does that mean Ford won't build it for 09? Of course not. It just means if they do build it for 09 then Ford has mislead all their dealers into believing this was for two years only along with the general public.

We know they plan to continue building Shelby's as long as there is a demand for them, but they were referring to Shelby's in general. Not specifically the GT500. The GT500 specifically was to be a two year limited production. That is what we were told from Ford.

With 2010 being a new redesign then building GT500's on the new design would not fall into the same category as the current body style. It would be a entirely different look. As for this specific body style it was suppose to be two years only.

I was also told the Boss was 09 which was replacing the GT500. This came from Ford reps. It appears they may have decided to hold off on the Boss until 2010. Perhaps so they can offer than for more than one year since 2010 will be a new design. Perhaps because of this they decided they will just build the GT500 for another year to get through until the new 2010 comes out. Whatever they are planning they have not said anything to the dealers other than the GT500 was for two years only. The Bullitt will come out in 08 and the Boss was coming next in 09. Everything about the Boss has died since with no new information other than it is coming. When we don't know for certain.

First off the GT500 is NOT limited production. Not even close. Forgetting an 09 there will be approx 20k built for 07 - 08. Looking at other collector cars these are VERY high production numbers. For example the Ferrari daytona was built from 1968 to 1973, there were approx 1200 made, and that is thought of as alot. In mustangs the early Boss cars had 10k or less built. The rarest I think was the 69 429 with 1600. In the collector car world limited and rare would be under 500 units. 18-20k is huge production.

First off the GT500 is NOT limited production. Not even close. Forgetting an 09 there will be approx 20k built for 07 - 08. Looking at other collector cars these are VERY high production numbers. For example the Ferrari daytona was built from 1968 to 1973, there were approx 1200 made, and that is thought of as alot. In mustangs the early Boss cars had 10k or less built. The rarest I think was the 69 429 with 1600. In the collector car world limited and rare would be under 500 units. 18-20k is huge production.

2000 cobra "R" @ 300.

None of this really makes a difference as in 40 years who will care? I know I won't and if anyone wants to really do the math then driving population vs collectors then, now and future would have to be calculated. Lower production is by anyone's standards rarer but for example if you have 20k people worldwide wanting to own a 19k run 2007 procuction car in 40 years then let the bidding begin.

You guys are seriously dreaming to think this car's price will grow 100 times over. It is 1 out of 15 mustangs made in a given model year. It is far too common. We know the production of gt500's will go for at least 6 years in total and probably longer than that. Amy has already stated verbatim 2010 will see the new gt500 body style. These production #'s are about identical to the svt cobra. Shelby's from the 60's were 1 out of 205 to 1 out of 266 mustangs built in a given model year depending on the year. Putting someones name on the back will certainly help, but within reason. Look at the low production #'s for the Shelby GT which they hoped to build 10,000 per year. The 2008 #'s are far lower than that based on sales and the percieved value is not there for the consumer. Excusivity is key. The numbers from 6 years of production are likely to be 9 times that of the 67-70 gt500 #'s. 2007 production alone is almost double that of the 5,416 produced from 67-70. The only one that will really be a prize is the KR at 1,000 units. Although I have heard they are going to make 2,000 now.

Wow, this one went all over the place. First off, anyone thinking they bought a car that 40 years from now will fetch high dollars, well you made a poor 50K investment, as that same money conservatively invested would far out do this. Second, those that state limited now and compare to the 60's, forget to factor in population and economics. Meaning, 1000 cars in 68, although rare, probably equals 10,000 car in 2008, based on population, vehicle build rates, pricing, and those willing and able to buy. Bottom line, the ONLY reason I don't want to see an 09 or anything more for that matter is that I do not want to see this car everyday, and every where! I want it to appear as a car you LOVE to see, when you see ONE. Something not as popular as a plain old Mustang GT. If they become that, they will be boring and JUST another car. Other than that, I drive mine, and if and when I sell it I hope it is to someone who appreciates what the car stood for, not to hope to make 100K on it.

Hi, guys, I've been away from the forums a lot over the last few months (very pressing priorities other than Mustangs, unfortunately), but wanted to share a couple quick thoughts on 2009 GT500's. I bring these points to your attention as the SVT Team Leader for a large volume Ford/SVT dealer with good communication to/from our regional Ford rep. I've been our store's SVT Team Leader for the last 6 years and it is my job to keep abreast of everything SVT, communicate with our SVT customers, train our sales staff about SVT's, and order all of our SVT vehicles.

First, Ford has NEVER communicated a 2009 GT500 to us dealers, as ShelbyDude has already noted. The signed contract I have from Ford is for 2007 and 2008 ONLY. It is in writing - plain black and white. Any mention of a 2009 GT500 is pure speculation as it is only a rumor, not confirmed, and certainly not communicated by Ford Motor Company to its franchised dealers, the media, or the general public.

Second, Ford certainly reserves the right to build a 2009 GT500, or increase production of any model (or reduce production, if needed) to satisfy demand. Ford is not in the business of offering collectables or investment vehicles to the public. They are in business to sell vehicles, and they constantly hope to guage demand accurately and supply that demand, accordingly. Sure, they may have alluded to smaller build qualities of certain cars, but they do not sell them with a written contract guaranteeing a specific and limited build number.

Third, cars are bad investments. It has been explained by many here already, so I'll keep quiet about that. Just know that if you want a good long-term investment, seek an appreciating asset such as real estate, precious metals, stocks, bonds, etc.

Fourth, anyone who is going to sue Ford for building too many GT500's is part of the problem with our current society. "Sue anybody for anything mentality" and constant litigation is wasting time and money in our court system. That time and money would be better spent driving/racing your car and buying mods. Take responsibility for your own choices! Paid too big of an ADM? So what! You got your car earlier than most others and that extra money bought you additional time owning & enjoying your new toy, so you received a direct benefit from that extra money spent.

Fifth, I missed chatting with you all and am glad to be back.

Wow, this one went all over the place. First off, anyone thinking they bought a car that 40 years from now will fetch high dollars, well you made a poor 50K investment, as that same money conservatively invested would far out do this. Second, those that state limited now and compare to the 60's, forget to factor in population and economics. Meaning, 1000 cars in 68, although rare, probably equals 10,000 car in 2008, based on population, vehicle build rates, pricing, and those willing and able to buy. Bottom line, the ONLY reason I don't want to see an 09 or anything more for that matter is that I do not want to see this car everyday, and every where! I want it to appear as a car you LOVE to see, when you see ONE. Something not as popular as a plain old Mustang GT. If they become that, they will be boring and JUST another car. Other than that, I drive mine, and if and when I sell it I hope it is to someone who appreciates what the car stood for, not to hope to make 100K on it.

AMEN TO THAT.

Hi, guys, I've been away from the forums a lot over the last few months (very pressing priorities other than Mustangs, unfortunately), but wanted to share a couple quick thoughts on 2009 GT500's. I bring these points to your attention as the SVT Team Leader for a large volume Ford/SVT dealer with good communication to/from our regional Ford rep. I've been our store's SVT Team Leader for the last 6 years and it is my job to keep abreast of everything SVT, communicate with our SVT customers, train our sales staff about SVT's, and order all of our SVT vehicles.

First, Ford has NEVER communicated a 2009 GT500 to us dealers, as ShelbyDude has already noted. The signed contract I have from Ford is for 2007 and 2008 ONLY. It is in writing - plain black and white. Any mention of a 2009 GT500 is pure speculation as it is only a rumor, not confirmed, and certainly not communicated by Ford Motor Company to its franchised dealers, the media, or the general public.

Second, Ford certainly reserves the right to build a 2009 GT500, or increase production of any model (or reduce production, if needed) to satisfy demand. Ford is not in the business of offering collectables or investment vehicles to the public. They are in business to sell vehicles, and they constantly hope to guage demand accurately and supply that demand, accordingly. Sure, they may have alluded to smaller build qualities of certain cars, but they do not sell them with a written contract guaranteeing a specific and limited build number.

Third, cars are bad investments. It has been explained by many here already, so I'll keep quiet about that. Just know that if you want a good long-term investment, seek an appreciating asset such as real estate, precious metals, stocks, bonds, etc.

Fourth, anyone who is going to sue Ford for building too many GT500's is part of the problem with our current society. "Sue anybody for anything mentality" and constant litigation is wasting time and money in our court system. That time and money would be better spent driving/racing your car and buying mods. Take responsibility for your own choices! Paid too big of an ADM? So what! You got your car earlier than most others and that extra money bought you additional time owning & enjoying your new toy, so you received a direct benefit from that extra money spent.

FANTASTIC POST! 1000+ on this one, well put, well posted, and well received. Good job and glad to read you again! Thanks.

The problem that I have is that Ford said two years and limited production then the dealers jacked up the price of the car .

Ford did nothing.

I bought my car because I always wanted a fast car and I have a kid so a two seater was out of the question.

I drive mine like most here and take it to car shows.

Every one loves this car.

I am lucky to have one but if ford floods the market then how lucky am I.

Some got theres at sticker and that is cool but most didn't

What other car are the dealers charging adm's on. None right so why?

The adm I paid did not assure me the first car off the line whats is up with that.

Nor the first car in Ca. not one first did I get for paying over sticker.

That is not what the adm represents to any one who paid one.

It was the cost for having a car that most didn't have a opportunity to own.

We all realize that Ford is in the car building business I just hope that they aren't lairs as well.

Art

The problem that I have is that Ford said two years and limited production then the dealers jacked up the price of the car .

Ford did nothing.

I bought my car because I always wanted a fast car and I have a kid so a two seater was out of the question.

I drive mine like most here and take it to car shows.

Every one loves this car.

I am lucky to have one but if ford floods the market then how lucky am I.

Some got theres at sticker and that is cool but most didn't

What other car are the dealers charging adm's on. None right so why?

The adm I paid did not assure me the first car off the line whats is up with that.

Nor the first car in Ca. not one first did I get for paying over sticker.

That is not what the adm represents to any one who paid one.

It was the cost for having a car that most didn't have a opportunity to own.

We all realize that Ford is in the car building business I just hope that they aren't lairs as well.

Art

100,000+ amens to your post.

FiveOhB, I thank you for you post, but Art is correct here. The ADMs existed because of the 2 yr production restriction Ford said would be on these vehicles. I hope you are correct regarding your signed document that clearly stated 07 and 08 only.

Whatever contract that Ford and SAI entered in regards to the GT500 was likely drafted years ago. Contracts can be ammended, extended, or terminated with little fanfare if both parties agree.

The GT500 is nothing shy of a smashing success. A continuation of production would benefit both corporate entities invloved and would be the rather obvious scenario going forward. The name could change to some degree and the performance level increased incrementally over the next few years. No surprises here guys.

If the contract between Ford and Shelby Autos was signed years before production started then why didn't Ford come out and say there was a change.

Ford has been producing this car for 1 yr 4 mo. yet not a word from them.

You can bet Ford employees read this stuff and I have not seen as much as a flinch from them.

By the way Ford only made what the dealers paid for the car and not a penny over sticker.

100,000+ amens to your post.

FiveOhB, I thank you for you post, but Art is correct here. The ADMs existed because of the 2 yr production restriction Ford said would be on these vehicles. I hope you are correct regarding your signed document that clearly stated 07 and 08 only.

No, the ADM's exist(ed) because far more people want(ed) a 500hp Mustang (that just happened to have the most revered name in Mustang history attached to it) than Ford was projecting to build. Dealers based their conversations with customers on the best information available at the time. We believed 2 year ago, and still believe today, that GT500 is a 2007 and 2008 model only, based on the most recent info we have available from Ford.

Whenever there is a real - or even perceived - demand in excess of supply, our free market economy dictates that prices will go up. And when demand falls below supply, then prices fall. Basic economics 101 and Adam Smith theory. Here is a brief recap of Adam Smith on the subject (for those who might not have gone to Business School)....

"Adam Smith assumed that consumers choose for the lowest price, and that entrepreneurs choose for the highest rate of profit. He asserted that by thus making their excess or insufficient demand known through market prices, consumers "directed" entrepreneurs' investment money to the most profitable industry. Remember that this is the industry producing the goods most highly valued by consumers, so in general economic well-being is increased."

Great to hear from you Five Oh , you always tell it like it is .

No, the ADM's exist(ed) because far more people want(ed) a 500hp Mustang (that just happened to have the most revered name in Mustang history attached to it) than Ford was projecting to build. Dealers based their conversations with customers on the best information available at the time. We believed 2 year ago, and still believe today, that GT500 is a 2007 and 2008 model only, based on the most recent info we have available from Ford.

Whenever there is a real - or even perceived - demand in excess of supply, our free market economy dictates that prices will go up. And when demand falls below supply, then prices fall. Basic economics 101 and Adam Smith theory. Here is a brief recap of Adam Smith on the subject (for those who might not have gone to Business School)....

"Adam Smith assumed that consumers choose for the lowest price, and that entrepreneurs choose for the highest rate of profit. He asserted that by thus making their excess or insufficient demand known through market prices, consumers "directed" entrepreneurs' investment money to the most profitable industry. Remember that this is the industry producing the goods most highly valued by consumers, so in general economic well-being is increased."

Welcome Back Five Oh... you wisdom and insight have been missed by us all... Glad to see you back on board and posting..

I have seen 2 on the road since the 07's have come out... In my normal day to day driving which is 60miles round trip each day to work.

That is 2 cars in 12 months. I suspect after the 08's I may only see 4 - 5 GT500's running around town, in a 12 month period and If FORD were to build 09's it wouldnt make it to where id see one on the road everyday ( execpt the one i will be driving) or see several in a single day. I probably see 10 Mustang V6 or GT's everyday driving to work. Just FYI I live in the Dallas / Ft worth area so Its not like im in a small city.

IMO I still think it would be a rare site to see one in normal daily driving and it will still Turn peoples heads even if they built a 2009 model GT500. :happy feet: :happy feet:

I wont touch the ADM issue, there is a thread for that :banghead::banghead:

The ADM's would have existed no matter what. The question is how much of an ADM?

Assume Ford NEVER told the public and dealers that this car would be only a two year limited production? What would the ADM's have been?

I honestly believe the ONLY reason the ADM's brought the $15K + money was because people were lead to believe there would only be approx 8K made per year for TWO years ONLY!

That is only approx 16k units over two years to go around. As a result this lead to the $15K + ADM's dealers were able to get for this car.

Now had Ford never said this would be a limited production of only 7k - 8k cars for two years only then the ADM's would have never hit the $15K + they did. Sure, $5K and maybe as much as $10K in some areas, but nowhere near the $15K + it did hit. Especially the $20K, $25K and $30K over a lot of people paid.

They paid that because they thought it was going to be the only way to get one because there would only be approx 7k - 8k to go around for each year for two years only.

Now had Ford never mislead the public AND the dealers into believing all this, most, if not all of the buyers that paid the $15K + ADM's would have waited until they could get one without having to pay that much.

How many buyers here paid $15K or more over MSRP would have waited and held out to get a better deal had they known Ford would continue to build this year after year for as long as they could keep selling them???? Of those that paid the $15K + ADM, who would have still paid that if they knew Ford was going to keep building these for more than two years?

Archived