TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 Production

GT500-07

Does this make it offical? Good bye ADM's? From the SAI board today.

SAI-Amy Today, 11:34 AM Post #3

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 22

guys, Carroll Contract for Gt-500 is very long term, well into the next body style.

Amy

--------------------

" You can't grab the brass ring sitting in the swan"

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys, Carroll Contract for Gt-500 is very long term, well into the next body style.

Amy

--------------------

This does not say anything more than what we already knew! It states the two have a long term relationship, but does not state in what? They can sell clothes, shoes, hats... and so on. OR they can sell more cars, or he can be involved in more cars... and so on. But how does that state an 09 GT500 officially is in the works? More conjecture based on a very vague comment. No disrespect to Amy, but I do not think we should put words in her mouth.

So Amy, if you are reading, does this MEAN and 09 GT500 is for sure?

This does not say anything more than what we already knew! It states the two have a long term relationship, but does not state in what? They can sell clothes, shoes, hats... and so on. OR they can sell more cars, or he can be involved in more cars... and so on. But how does that state an 09 GT500 officially is in the works? More conjecture based on a very vague comment. No disrespect to Amy, but I do not think we should put words in her mouth.

So Amy, if you are reading, does this MEAN and 09 GT500 is for sure?

Her quote was very specific: "guys, Carroll Contract for Gt-500 is very long term, well into the next body style".

Amy

--------------------

To my understanding of what Amy said to day is that Carroll has a Contract for the GT-500 well in to the next body style

Body style change is 2010, 100%. It is an awesome car, there is no need to change it sooner. As for the longer run of Shelby's than expected this should come as no surprise to anyone. Comments made by Carroll Shelby himself have long backed this up. It would be pretty tough for a Camaro or Challenger to out horsepower a Shelby when one doesn't exist. No I don't think the Shelby Ford relationship is there to sell shirts or artwork! Funny statement though.

Ok. If they build GT500's till 2100 then so be it. Nothing we say here is going to change their minds. HOWEVER, posting on these forums solely to :stirpot: really is not necessary. Having researched the postings, there is one person in particular :bag: that posts here just to :stirpot:

Stop :beatdeadhorse: and try participating in a more positive way. :yup:

Why would Ford not produce an 09 GT500? It's the only Mustang that is selling for them.

Let me start by saying I think they WILL build an '09.

However, there are many reasons why they would not. (Disclaimer: I don't actually know whether any of the below are right...I'm just saying that there are many POSSIBLE reasons):

1) Other replacement car variant (Boss or other)

2) Suppliers may not be able to supply parts (Tremec may also make transmissions for Camaro/Challenger...not sure)

3) The car may actually be losing money for Ford (you laugh? show me the math) Just because an item sells doesn't mean it's profitable.

4) Warranty issues may be very high

5) Leave an "opening" for some other car from a marketing perspective, like an AC Cobra or a new Ford GT variant

6) Allow engineering/production resources to focus on a '10 MY changeover

7) Financial problems...they may have to "shed" some products

And when you say it's the only Mustang that is selling for them, what do you mean? They sell MANY more Mustang GTs than GT500s.

Dave

It seems pretty clear to me that there will be an '09. They've never said they won't build one, they've hinted repeatedly that they might, and everyone knows that Ol' Shel is trying to bankroll as much cash as he can right now to endow his foundation for the future. Nothing at all against the man for it, but I think that right now he's much more interested in royalties than protecting the exclusivity of these cars. Hell of a legacy, and I'd think he'd want to see his name on a lot more Mustangs!

The real question in my mind is what will be built after the body style change. I don't forsee a lot of alterations to the '09, as far as Shelby goes (to some extent, as Dave alluded, so that the engineers can focus on the body style change). And yes, they will most likely be sold with little to no markup at that time. That's life. Look at how many owners whined when they built more Mach 1's than they had said they would! Yet, I certainly don't see very many around, so I would say they still have a level of exclusivity. By the end of the '08 model year there will be more GT 500s on the road than they made of the '03-04 Mach 1, even if they stick to the lower volume production.

While I like the exclusivity of the GT 500, the other side of the coin is that the more they make, the more of a market there is for aftermarket performance parts. The more that's available for our cars, the easier and cheaper it will be to modify them. While there are some owners who intend to leave them bone stock, it seems the majority are making mods.

I think the Shelby GT is rotting on the vine because the perceived value isn't there. Paying $8k-15k more for a car (over a similarly equipped GT) that has a few pieces tacked onto it and a 19hp increase just doesn't make sense for most people, no matter whose name is plastered on the back. Ford really needs to put something in the gap, something in the 400hp range that hits a price point between the upcoming Bullitt and the GT 500. Perfect place for a Boss or another Mach. We've been saying that for over a year now. Hopefully Ford is listening.

It seems pretty clear to me that there will be an '09. They've never said they won't build one, they've hinted repeatedly that they might, and everyone knows that Ol' Shel is trying to bankroll as much cash as he can right now to endow his foundation for the future. Nothing at all against the man for it, but I think that right now he's much more interested in royalties than protecting the exclusivity of these cars. Hell of a legacy, and I'd think he'd want to see his name on a lot more Mustangs!

The real question in my mind is what will be built after the body style change. I don't forsee a lot of alterations to the '09, as far as Shelby goes (to some extent, as Dave alluded, so that the engineers can focus on the body style change). And yes, they will most likely be sold with little to no markup at that time. That's life. Look at how many owners whined when they built more Mach 1's than they had said they would! Yet, I certainly don't see very many around, so I would say they still have a level of exclusivity. By the end of the '08 model year there will be more GT 500s on the road than they made of the '03-04 Mach 1, even if they stick to the lower volume production.

While I like the exclusivity of the GT 500, the other side of the coin is that the more they make, the more of a market there is for aftermarket performance parts. The more that's available for our cars, the easier and cheaper it will be to modify them. While there are some owners who intend to leave them bone stock, it seems the majority are making mods.

I think the Shelby GT is rotting on the vine because the perceived value isn't there. Paying $8k-15k more for a car (over a similarly equipped GT) that has a few pieces tacked onto it and a 19hp increase just doesn't make sense for most people, no matter whose name is plastered on the back. Ford really needs to put something in the gap, something in the 400hp range that hits a price point between the upcoming Bullitt and the GT 500. Perfect place for a Boss or another Mach. We've been saying that for over a year now. Hopefully Ford is listening.

Why would anybody Paying $8k-15k more I only payed lets see MSRP those people who did pay $8k-$15k need to wait in get it for MSRP.

Why would anybody Paying $8k-15k more I only payed lets see MSRP those people who did pay $8k-$15k need to wait in get it for MSRP.

Wow.

Not only is the grammar nice, but this is quite possibly the best run-on sentance EVER!!

Thanks!

-Care to explain what you mean? Or is it a complete waist of my time even if I do know what you are

trying to talk about?

Mustang enthusiasts in the market for this issue at a reasonble price should be encouraged if not thrilled by this news as a continuation of production virtually guarantees the elimination of price controls and gouging by retailers. The net result will be a more ample supply of GT500s both new and used and the obvious effect this will have on selling prices.

This whole quotation is absolutely true and I agree with it completely.

Just pardon me while I don't JUMP with excitement as I watch one of my favorite muscle cars of all time

become overly common, seen everywhere and watch people's faces (including my own) fill with less and

less excitement and/or interest because these cars will now be commonly seen, and relatively cheap to

purchase. So I ask you, "Where is the excitement?"

If I see a Roush Mustang on the street - I don't care.

If I see a Saleen Mustang on the street - I still don't care(although the Parnelli Jones Ed. is nice).

When I see a GT500 on the street - I care. I think they are super-cool. Racing heritage, rare, fast....all come to mind. Hopefully that will not change.

I have said it before and I will say it again:

Take away the exclusivity of the Shelby GT500 and you loose the "wow" or "drool" factor on this car.

Where is the excitement? Ask the guy who gets one next year that wouldn't have gotten one otherwise. I can bet that the 09 buyers will be every bit as excited about their new GT500 as any 07/08 owner. This is a good thing, a very good thing.

I've seen 2 GT500s on the street in the last year and they have made way over ten thousand of them. These cars will be built in #s that far exceed those of the originals so you can comfortably dispense with describing them as collectalble or exclusive. Sorry but that is reality here.

Ya want an exclusive car, buy a Ferrari.

Agree. Again, my personal view is that the early build GT500s, and I mean early, will hold their value.

Secondly, I will be very pissed off if a 09 or later is built. There are plenty of publicly documented statements pre-launch that this was a 2 year car with no more than 18k to 20k built. Personally, I would take the steps to investigate any class action possiblity we might have if Ford decides to build a 3rd year or more.

Where is the excitement? Ask the guy who gets one next year that wouldn't have gotten one otherwise. I can bet that the 09 buyers will be every bit as excited about their new GT500 as any 07/08 owner. This is a good thing, a very good thing.

I've seen 2 GT500s on the street in the last year and they have made way over ten thousand of them. These cars will be built in #s that far exceed those of the originals so you can comfortably dispense with describing them as collectalble or exclusive. Sorry but that is reality here.

Good answer on the 1st section. I understand that the new owner will be excited.

Only seeing 2 on the street in the past year IS exclusive.

I have been very comfortable with them not being "collectible" - but apparantly they ARE exclusive as you have only seen 2 in the past year - that is also a reality right now.

Not seeing them everywhere is part of the attraction.

Ya want an exclusive car, buy a Ferrari.

Once you start buying my cars for me then you can tell me what to buy.

I'm going to have to pull out my old car mags to see if Ford indeed announced a two year run only. I seem to recall the announcement involving 07/08 but with a possibility of an additional year as well.

I wonder if some of us were assuming an 07/08 run only since the Ford GT was only produced for two years?

If there is a 09 GT500 than the dealers will have to sell at sticker or under as the exclusiveness will not be there.

I wonder if the dealers will like it.

I think that Carroll Shelby will try to protect the GT500 at least I hope so.

NO-09

I would prefer no 2009 model as well but, they will build them and, there will be ADM's as there are thousands of people on the fence waiting for the price to come down. If there is an 09, it will be the last year of this body style and will have a perceived value as it is THE LAST YEAR. Then, watch out for insane ADM's on the new body style 2010 cars. my .02 cents

I

Yes, I understand your position and strong feelings here. There was at the onset a perception of a two year run. I can distinctly remember reading statements from Ford to that end.

The class action thing will likely be considered by other current owners if the production run is extended to include the 09 MY. I'm not a lawyer but would see that as a tough battle with little potential for success.

Actually, my opinion is if there was a class action it would be a fairly easy suit to win. Especially with how this created such a high demand where buyers paid $15k, $20k, $25k and $30k + over because of it. Also, with the way jury's love to award damages lately a class action with a bunch of car buyers VS big company like Ford it would probably be a slam dunk!

It's one thing when a new hot producy hits and ADM's are in the $5K over range, but $15K - $30K + over????

In my OPINION, the ONLY reason this car sold so well for those prices is because the public was lead to believe this was a limited production to built for two years only!

As for what any magazines wrote, I don't put much faith in what they say. They print bogus articles that are not accurate all the time. I don't read them so I don't know what they wrote other than what other people said that read them. Many said they wrote 3 year production according to Ford.

Well I never once heard anything about a 3 year run coming from Ford. I heard two years and limited to approx 8k per year. Then 8k - 9k per year for a total production of approx 18k - 19k over two years.

I asked Ford about a 2009 and was always told NO 2009! 2008 will be it! That was the answer I got everytime from our region.

When I toured the IAA plant and asked if they were building a 2009 they only said, "If I told you the answer to that I would have to kill you".

Bottom line, if it wasn't for Ford leading everyone to believe this was going to be a limited production of 7k, 8k or 9k per year for two years only, I know damn well a lot of the people that paid $15k + ADM's would have never paid that had they not been lead to believe that. Had they been told they may continue to build this even if only 8k - 10k per year were going to be built they would have waited before paying $15k +. Paying $5k or so, no doubt. But $15k +???

For starters I don't believe a 2007 will be worth more than a 2008 or 2009. Commen sense tells you the newer cars will retain their value better as well as being a better value to the consumer. As far as older magazine articles stating longer runs 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords in their August 2006 issue stated a 3 year run of 8,000-10,000 cars per year. In the August 2006 issue of MM & FF's states and I quote "Is it worth paying 20,000 over sticker to get one? Of course not. Ford will be, relatively speaking, flooding the market with them-8,000 or so for 5 years-so it's not like they will be rare". I couldn't agree more. Lets put this into perspective. More GT500's were produced in 2007 than the total from 1967-70. 10,884 compared to 5,460.

As for the run I remember it was first said 3 years and then changed to 2. Whenever I called SVT and asked them about the 2 year run it was always an open ended answer stating "At the current time Carroll has only agreed to 2 years." When you state "at this time" that is not a definitive 2 year only run. I never once got an answer of beyond the shadow of a doubt 2 years only. Is Ford responsible for dealers raping the public. I don't think so!!! Dealers are responsible for raping the public and to a degree anyone who paid an ADM. No one was forced to pay an ADM on this car and when you do it let's the dealer know it's OK to screw over another consumer. Ford did not profit 1 cent from ADM's, crooked dealers do that. Now if this was a class action lawsuit against the dealers that would be one thing. Being they are privately owned and far to diversified this will never happen. Mach 1 owners could have done the same thing as the #'s were over double of what was originally said. People paid a $5,000 ADM on 2005 Mustang Gt's. Then prices drop and people feel they were screwed over. A car is a horrible investment and there is not one ever made worth over MSRP.

Archived