TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Convertable boot question

Joe G

**** UPDATE ****

Ok, just got off the phone with my dealer.

Salesman asked his inventory guy about it. Inventory guy said that, no, it's not a standard/included item. It's not listed on the window sticker, it's not in any of the literature, so it wasn't supposed to be included. Said it's an optional ($$) accessory item. :banghead:

Can anyone here provide me some backup info/details on how to inform them about how to find the correct info on this?

I PM'd ShelbyDude, but any other of our DEALER friends can jump in to.

Thanks!!!

I'm telling you, Joe - someone at the dealership lifted it. Sounds like a regional manager needs to hear about this.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
**** UPDATE ****

Salesman asked his inventory guy about it. Inventory guy said that, no, it's not a standard/included item. It's not listed on the window sticker, it's not in any of the literature, so it wasn't supposed to be included. Said it's an optional ($$) accessory item. :banghead:

Can anyone here provide me some backup info/details on how to inform them about how to find the correct info on this?

Thanks!!!

Didn't pay extra, not on my order sheet, in the trunk when I picked it up-all I know......

All '07 verts came from the factory with a boot cover to protect the top when down, it's standard.

Anyone telling you different either didn't get theirs or is misinformed.

And if you get it, it's just about as important that you actually read the directions, or you may never get it on, or get it on correctly.

I'm looking at the new Cervini Speedster cover that cover up to the rear of the front seats...that will stop most of any wind while driving.

Now I just wish someone made a decent wind block for the seats that looks decent... :banghead:

The one I got is from love the drive:

S197 Convertible Windstop

**** UPDATE ****

Thanks!!!

Joe, I goes back to what I was told, and as stated in my last post. Nowhere in the documentation, the sticker, or the literature does it state you automatically GET the boot. I just checked all my stuff, and I see nothing. Thus it would stand to reason that some did get one, others did not. I do not know why, but as my dealer told me, some were delivered with and some without. Luck of the draw, not sure, but I think you should raise enough stink about it, or at the very least see what it costs then escalate it up the latter at Ford. A good dealer should provide in either case, more so if they admit there may have been an issue with it. Maybe they had limited quantity? Who knows, but still worth pushing. I have not used mine, but glad I got one just the same. Good luck.

Joe, I goes back to what I was told, and as stated in my last post. Nowhere in the documentation, the sticker, or the literature does it state you automatically GET the boot. I just checked all my stuff, and I see nothing. Thus it would stand to reason that some did get one, others did not. I do not know why, but as my dealer told me, some were delivered with and some without. Luck of the draw, not sure, but I think you should raise enough stink about it, or at the very least see what it costs then escalate it up the latter at Ford. A good dealer should provide in either case, more so if they admit there may have been an issue with it. Maybe they had limited quantity? Who knows, but still worth pushing. I have not used mine, but glad I got one just the same. Good luck.

But we already established - your dealer lied.

On regular mustang verts, V6 & GT Mustang Verts, the boot cover was an OPTION. It is listed in the order guide and price guide as an OPTION. $160

On the GT500 Ford messed up because they never specifically listed the boot cover anywhere. Not on the window sticker, not on the invoice, not in the dealer source books, not in the mustang brochure, not in the order guide and not in the price guide. For the GT500 Vert Ford does not list anything at all, anywhere, pertaining to the boot cover.

Now if the boot cover was an OPTION then they would have listed it in the order guide and the price as an option that could be ordered with the car. They did not list it.

They didn't list it as an option because it is suppose to be STANDARD on the GT500 Vert.

Only, they didn't specifically list it as a standard item either. They missed it and left it out from be listed anywhere. But eveyone got one that got a GT500 Vert!

The 07 we got came with one.

Joe's car was a late Job 2 build. It was built late in June 07. So his wasn't some early build that may have not gotten one where all the later builds did.

Basically, anything that is standard is supposed to be listed on the window sticker. If it is not listed on the window sticker then it means it did not come with the car as standard equipment. BUT! In this particular case it SHOULD have been listed on the window sticker as standard. It was an over sight by Ford where they just missed this item from being listed anywhere.

Think about it!

Does it make sense at all to list it as a $160 option on the regular mustangs, but not list it as an option on the GT500 model???? If it was suppose to be an option they would have listed it as one so people could have paid the $160 extra and order it with the car. It does not make any sense to make this an item that would have to be ordered as an accessory item on the GT500 but as an option in the order guide on the regular mustang.

It was never listed as an option that could be ordered on the GT500 because it is suppose to be STANDARD on the GT500! Plain and Simple!

One of two things happened here. Either it was just left out from the plant on Joe's car or someone at the dealership took it! But there should have been one with the car!

The guy at the dealership that said it didn't come with it because it is not listed on the window sticker is WRONG in "THIS" particular case because they ALL came with one! It was just an over sight on Ford's part where it never got listed anywhere.

BTW, if you look at the picture in the brochure of the GT500 Vert it shows the boot cover on the car with the top down. That is the ONLY thing ANYWHERE that shows anything at all pertaining to the boot cover on the GT500!

Based on that explanation from Shelbydude and knowing what you paid for your car Joe, I highly doubt your dealer is trying to sting you for a cover that costs $160, they could have got 10 times that amount with an ADM on your car which 90% of Shelby owners would have been more than happy to pay. Just ask them to look into it and get you one from the plant.

Just my 2 cents

Based on that explanation from Shelbydude and knowing what you paid for your car Joe, I highly doubt your dealer is trying to sting you for a cover that costs $160, they could have got 10 times that amount with an ADM on your car which 90% of Shelby owners would have been more than happy to pay. Just ask them to look into it and get you one from the plant.

Just my 2 cents

ShelbyDude and I spoke about this tonight (thanks Dude).

My dealer isn't trying to screw me. I know better than that. They've gone above and beyond on a bunch of stuff.

They said they checked with someone at Dearborn to check on it. The Dearborn folks couldn't find anything (as Dude said) anywhere about it being standard OR an option on the GT500's. It's just invisible. On the regular V6 or Mustang GT models, it's an option that can be seen and ordered. Apparently not so for the GT500.

Those who posted here who got one on their vert did so, I'd assume, because it was supposed to be there. The problem is... when one DOESN'T come with the car (like mine) it's tough to prove that it's missing. How does something that doesn't exist go "missing"?? I almost feel like I'm dealing with the CIA or NSA...

Hopefully I'll get this worked out somehow.

Anyone who got one... was it listed either on the "standard equipment" or "optional equipment" area of your window sticker?? Just checking...

My dealer isn't trying to screw me. I know better than that. They've gone above and beyond on a bunch of stuff.

They said they checked with someone at Dearborn to check on it. The Dearborn folks couldn't find anything (as Dude said) anywhere about it being standard OR an option on the GT500's. It's just invisible. On the regular V6 or Mustang GT models, it's an option that can be seen and ordered. Apparently not so for the GT500.

Those who posted here who got one on their vert did so, I'd assume, because it was supposed to be there. The problem is... when one DOESN'T come with the car (like mine) it's tough to prove that it's missing. How does something that doesn't exist go "missing"?? I almost feel like I'm dealing with the CIA or NSA...

Anyone who got one... was it listed either on the "standard equipment" or "optional equipment" area of your window sticker?? Just checking...

Had a quick look over at some of the window stickers on the blue oval forums for you Joe and I did not see one Shelby with it listed though I saw a few none Shelbys with it on the sticker, sorry couldn't find any for you :(

Can't comment yet on the GT500 Vert since mine has not arrived yet but I can confirm that on the Mustang GT convertibles it is indeed an option, even for the cloth top - just ordered and accepted delivery of three of them....

As an aside, I really don't know how much they will be used based on the short time we have had them.

Joe, go back and look at my post #40, nothing. But I did get one. Sorry, but I hope you can resolve this.

Joe, go back and look at my post #40, nothing. But I did get one. Sorry, but I hope you can resolve this.

Mine was in the trunk in a bag (and is still untouched), I checked my window sticker, it's not listed...

Thanks guys.

Guys I quickly browsed through this thread before replying so forgive me if this is duplicated...

I was at the dealership when my car was delivered and it never went inside the dealership. My cover was in the trunk from the factory. It is some kind of spandex fabric, not vinyl. I think it should have come with your car. The only thing I am unsure of is if it was included with all verts or perhaps was included with premium interiors?

For those with a vert, did your car come with the boot that covers the top when it's down?

I have a 2007, and in the owners manual it says "if equipped", but I don't know if they were SUPPOSED to come with them, or if it's an option.

It's not noted on my window sticker, and I didn't see one in the car.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.

Thanks!

I received mine in the trunk of my 2008 vapor/ebony vert. I did not pay extra for it. My car has all options including shaker 1000 and car cover, except nav. (not available). Maybe, they throw it in with the cover or some other option?

Joe,

If you told the dealership not to prep the car you will not get a boot.If the dealership did the PDI and missed it the dealership will have to get you 1 and eat the cost.

If the dealership did the PDI and missed it, HOW would they know they could have missed it when there is NOTHING anywhere that states anything about the boot coming with the car???

These cars are limited as far as how many a dealer will get to sell. So a dealer gets ONE vert to sell. How is the dealer to KNOW whether there should be a boot cover in the trunk if FORD didn't list it anywhere????

The ONLY thing there is to know a boot even existed is the cars that had one. So unless there is something somewhere that states a boot cover is included, how is the dealer to know if one should have been there or not?

The general rule has always been, if it comes with the car it will be listed on the window sticker. If it is not listed on the window sticker it doesn't come with the car.

Ford messed up by forgetting to list this anywhere! Basically, the boot does not exist for the GT500 based on Ford's failure to list it anywhere.

Ford does not list it anywhere as being included. Ford does not list it anywhere as being an option. It does not exist. Yet everyone we know of so far got one that came with their car, other than Joe's car.

FORD is the one that needs to make this right because of FORD's failure to list this anywhere stating it is standard or an option.

Since it is not listed as an option and since everyone else got one that came with there car as being a standard item, then FORD needs to step up and make it right. Not pass the blame off to the dealer! The dealer has NO INFO as to whether the boot cover ever existed or not pertaining to the GT500 Vert.

Mine was in the trunk in a bag (and is still untouched), I checked my window sticker, it's not listed...

I also checked thru all the literature and paperwork I have accumulated and there is no mention of a boot cover, just a picture of a vert with one on it. That would lead me to believe that it is an intended piece of the car.

These have always been included in the convertibles up thru 2004 that I know of. I have bought 4 convertibles in this time frame, Cobras and GT and they all had the covers in the trunk. Guess this changed with the advent of the new body style for some reason :(

If the dealership did the PDI and missed it, HOW would they know they could have missed it when there is NOTHING anywhere that states anything about the boot coming with the car???

These cars are limited as far as how many a dealer will get to sell. So a dealer gets ONE vert to sell. How is the dealer to KNOW whether there should be a boot cover in the trunk if FORD didn't list it anywhere????

The ONLY thing there is to know a boot even existed is the cars that had one. So unless there is something somewhere that states a boot cover is included, how is the dealer to know if one should have been there or not?

The general rule has always been, if it comes with the car it will be listed on the window sticker. If it is not listed on the window sticker it doesn't come with the car.

Ford messed up by forgetting to list this anywhere! Basically, the boot does not exist for the GT500 based on Ford's failure to list it anywhere.

Ford does not list it anywhere as being included. Ford does not list it anywhere as being an option. It does not exist. Yet everyone we know of so far got one that came with their car, other than Joe's car.

FORD is the one that needs to make this right because of FORD's failure to list this anywhere stating it is standard or an option.

Since it is not listed as an option and since everyone else got one that came with there car as being a standard item, then FORD needs to step up and make it right. Not pass the blame off to the dealer! The dealer has NO INFO as to whether the boot cover ever existed or not pertaining to the GT500 Vert.

Guys... The boot comes with the car from the factory. It is not a dealer installed item.

Joe, my 2008 came with one, in the truck, folded in a bag. I have not used it yet. However, I think I was told by the dealer that the early 2007, and most of the production year, the verts did NOT have a cover, but that all shipped in 2008 did. It was not an option on the 2008, not even listed, just came with as part of the vert top.

Hope that helps, but being a fellow Italian, you know how to make a point in a dealership right? Go get yours!!!

I got one with my 2007, Build date 6/30/06, #45 of 859. Mind you, I bought it from a dealer that had registered the car, and put 1200 miles on it, so I'm not sure if he special ordered it. But it was in the trunk, in a bag.

Joe,

If you told the dealership not to prep the car you will not get a boot.If the dealership did the PDI and missed it the dealership will have to get you 1 and eat the cost.

That's not correct. My car was built 11/15/06. It is 990 of 2695 with 271806 as the last six digits of the vin. I left specific instructions for the dealer to off load the vehicle and to perform no other work, which they did. The boot was in the trunk of my car.

That's not correct. My car was built 11/15/06. It is 990 of 2695 with 271806 as the last six digits of the vin. I left specific instructions for the dealer to off load the vehicle and to perform no other work, which they did. The boot was in the trunk of my car.

I just can't believe this thread/situation is still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With what we pay for these cars-full list price plus many thousands in ADMs it is unbelievable to me they would want the bad publicity over a silly boot that can't cost Fort/the dealer more than $80. Somebody at Ford/the dealer needs to get off their dead main body part and make this right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the dealer again so if this doesn't fix itself real soon we will all know who to bad mouth 'til the cows come home.

I just can't believe this thread/situation is still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With what we pay for these cars-full list price plus many thousands in ADMs it is unbelievable to me they would want the bad publicity over a silly boot that can't cost Fort/the dealer more than $80. Somebody at Ford/the dealer needs to get off their dead main body part and make this right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the dealer again so if this doesn't fix itself real soon we will all know who to bad mouth 'til the cows come home.

The one at fault here is FORD MOTOR COMPANY! NOT the DEALER! Unless of course, SOMEONE at the dealer took it.

Yes, the dealer should take care of this IF the boot cover is suppose to come with the car, BUT, how is the dealer suppose to know this when FORD failed to inform anyone that is suppose to come with the car?

BTW, it cost the dealer a lot more than $80 for this part. It is a $160 option on the regular mustang verts and that is when it is ordered with the car from the factory. Anything ordered after the fact through parts costs a LOT more from Ford what they charge for it as an option.

For example, chrome step bars on a F-150 that come as a $350 option when ordered with the truck cost the dealer $750 from Ford through parts.

The hard tonneau cover that came as a option on the Sport Trac cost $650 from Ford when ordered with the vehicle but cost the dealer over $1,100 after the fact through parts when ordering from Ford.

The Stripes that come on the GT500 are FREE when ordered with the car, but cost over $1,200 through parts after the fact. You don't even get a credit if you order the car without the Stripes! Now does that make any sense???

Holster your guns guys.

We're working on this... don't start the burners on the tar & feather machine yet.

:hysterical:

Archived