TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Collection

rpretzel

My wife & I visited the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder, CO yesterday. Very cool place. Only $5 to get in. We drove the Shelby...lots of people took pictures...we felt like celebrities.

Our Shelby out front:

100_1294.jpg

The one and only GT500 in the whole place. I was a bit disappointed there weren't more. One cool thing is the tires on this car are the original factory tires.

100_1299.jpg

Sweet GT40:

100_1295.jpg

More GT40's:

100_1305.jpg

Very clean GT350:

100_1310.jpg

Great pics there, my office building is just a stones throw away from there :) did you buy any goodies ?

I bought a GT500KR poster for the garage, a Shelby American hat, and a Shelby pin. So StangFan, are you going to the Holiday Gala? I'll have to remember to include you on the invite list when all us Denver area folks get together.

Sorry CWH, I don't have any close-up shots of the rims.

My wife & I visited the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder, CO yesterday. Very cool place. Only $5 to get in. We drove the Shelby...lots of people took pictures...we felt like celebrities.

Loved the GT40s! I think the red number 3 in the three GT40 lineup is a sister car to the GT40 mkIV that Gurney and Foyt drove! I would love to hear that bad boy fire up!

I bought a GT500KR poster for the garage, a Shelby American hat, and a Shelby pin. So StangFan, are you going to the Holiday Gala? I'll have to remember to include you on the invite list when all us Denver area folks get together.

Sorry CWH, I don't have any close-up shots of the rims.

No with family visiting from overseas for Nov and Xmas and the fact that my better half would probably not be interested I will pass this time around. Yeah keep me posted on any meets.

• 3 months later...

Went there yesterday with some friends. Definitely worth the $5 admission fee.

The #3 GT40 was Mario Andretti's car that didn't finish the Le Mans race of '67. Parked next to it today is another GT40 #27 that was raced 3 times IN 2007. All first place finishes. After 40+ years it's still unbeatable.

GT40's:

post-12356-1199641425_thumb.jpg

post-12356-1199641435_thumb.jpg

The other "Daily Driver" was a Cobra that was raced last year too. (67, CSX3032).

Bill Murray was driver on both.

The GT350#1 was found in a lean-to shed in Mexico. It doesn't look like they've done any work on it since the pictures in this post.

The red GT500 was a really good looking car, but the hood doesn't fit. I thought it might not have been latched down all the way but there are other pictures of it with the same bad fit.

post-12356-1199640595_thumb.jpg

The "9000 mile GT500" is a good looking car too.

They also have the Ferrari that Carroll drive in the mid-late 50's.

post-12356-1199642172_thumb.jpg

The museum is mostly Cobras though, not that that is a bad thing. There are a few non-racers (e.g. the Cobra that Elvis drove in Viva Las Vegas) but mostly racers. All sweet.

As you can see from the pictures here and from others the cars are in the front, and in the background up against the walls are pieces and parts. Molds used for making body panels, torn down engines, etc. It's a working museum. Cars come and go (some on loan, but also to go to races) so what is there changes.

But there is history on the walls. This is the aluminum body that was found next to a dumpster (the story is on the wall). It came CSX2128 which is also in the museum collection (but not at this location, it's in Salt Lake).

post-12356-1199642967_thumb.jpg

The lighting is harsh fluorescent and flash gives hot spots. The ceilings is high so it's hard to get good bounce. I'm going to go back with a bounce card and someone to hold it. They are VERY PICKY. Dave Murray (Bill's brother) watched things like a hawk. No moving things around. Don't let him see a rope swing either. One of the guys in our group was asked to leave his camera bag at the front because it was swinging around.

This place is a must-see if you're in the Boulder area. Directions and some more details at www.shelbyamericancollection.com.

post-12356-1199640595_thumb.jpg

post-12356-1199641425_thumb.jpg

post-12356-1199641435_thumb.jpg

post-12356-1199642172_thumb.jpg

post-12356-1199642967_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great summer of 2008 power tour destination to me!

nice photos, thanks for sharing. by the way anymore close ups of the rims on that very 1st GT350? thise look like the ones in the SS thread we are questioning

Coldy,

As near as I can tell from the side shot, the wheels look like they are AR Torque Thrust wheels that have been either painted black or the're extreemly rusted out. Not 100% sure, but I think they are. They might also be Cragar SS wheels, but that's not likely.

Coldy,

As near as I can tell from the side shot, the wheels look like they are AR Torque Thrust wheels that have been either painted black or the're extreemly rusted out. Not 100% sure, but I think they are. They might also be Cragar SS wheels, but that's not likely.

I'm going to go back with some better lighting but it might not be for a month or so. I'll try to remember to take a closeup of the wheels.

Ah! Re: The GT500 hood fit. The light in the room just got real bright. When I mentioned it to someone that it didn't look like the hood latch was working he said "what hood latch?" The pins are functional. So maybe the pin fit might be better but it is what it is.

I still wouldn't mind having it in my garage :)

The Salt Lake Museum is at the Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele UT. Most of the cars are Larry Miller's personal collection. He has one of the Lemans winning GT40's and quite a few other amazing cars. Certainly something to do if you are out there. I didn't take pictures when I was out there last time. I'll try to remember a camera the next time I'm out there. I'll be out there in September at the Grand-Am races. That will be the season finally for both the Rolex series and also the new Ford Racing Mustang Challenge series for the Miller Cup. The new FR500S race Mustangs are also completed at that location. That will be a great weekend for any Mustang fan. I'm an Official with Grand Am, so I actually get paid to be there. Pretty good gig eh?

The Salt Lake Museum is at the Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele UT. Most of the cars are Larry Miller's personal collection. He has one of the Lemans winning GT40's and quite a few other amazing cars. Certainly something to do if you are out there. I didn't take pictures when I was out there last time. I'll try to remember a camera the next time I'm out there. I'll be out there in September at the Grand-Am races. That will be the season finally for both the Rolex series and also the new Ford Racing Mustang Challenge series for the Miller Cup. The new FR500S race Mustangs are also completed at that location. That will be a great weekend for any Mustang fan. I'm an Official with Grand Am, so I actually get paid to be there. Pretty good gig eh?

In Colorado, most of the race cars are owned by Bill Murray (or Murray Racing), Steve Volk and Larry Miller.

Re having to be at the race - yeah, having a day job sucks, huh? :)

Yea, some cool stuff for sure. I've been quite a few times. The Denver Mustang Club which I'm in, usually goes there every other year to see what's new. This is Carroll, my wife and I at the last Christmas party in December.

shelbychristmas6.JPG

I like this photo of the GT40 header set up:

GT-Mark-II-Engine-01.jpg

Ah! Re: The GT500 hood fit. The light in the room just got real bright. When I mentioned it to someone that it didn't look like the hood latch was working he said "what hood latch?" The pins are functional. So maybe the pin fit might be better but it is what it is.

I still wouldn't mind having it in my garage :)

Hello Tony and all,

I just wanted to respond to the comment about the hood fit on my car. Yes, it does not have the greatest fit at the front of the car; but it does have pretty good/even fit at the back and down each side. I think the red color makes it look worse than it actually is. If you look really carefully and compare my car and the nightmist blue GT 500 sitting next to it; you will find that the fit at the front of their hoods are quite nearly the same. The dark blue color "hides" the poor fit better than red does. As you said, "it is what it is".

Thanks,

Eric Johnson

Owner of 67411F--0100-ENG.

The First Production GT 500

Hello Tony and all,

I just wanted to respond to the comment about the hood fit on my car. Yes, it does not have the greatest fit at the front of the car; but it does have pretty good/even fit at the back and down each side. I think the red color makes it look worse than it actually is. If you look really carefully and compare my car and the nightmist blue GT 500 sitting next to it; you will find that the fit at the front of their hoods are nearly the same. The dark blue color "hides" the poor fit better than red does.

Thanks,

Eric Johnson

Owner of 67411F--0100-ENG.

THe First Production GT 500

Agreed - the side fits are good, but the blue one is lower, but I attribute all of this (in retrospect) to the tendency for the hood to lift without a latch and the position/length of the pins.

It's a great looking car! Just wish we could see the interior and if I hopped the rope Dave would have executed me...

Archived