TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gauge cluster

Wolf

You need to remember this car & all the special pieces & stripes are PROTO TYPE parts & pieces , not production parts & pieces. Please wait until the finished product comes out & is finalized before you pass judgement on any of the quality of the car. :)

Exactly. Photos are of prototype componants. It looks quite cool, IMO.

I think the SS would look great with this type of gauge cluster... What do you all think ?

Tony

Of course it is a matter of taste, but I prefer this look. I like the classic look of the Mustang dash and the prototype gauge cluster fills in the indentation that defines the dash shape. If more gauges are neccessary, this look maintains the dash contour.

www.speedofsoundllc.com

This dash cluster is supposed to be available this month.

They are located here in Memphis. I took my car in for them to use on initial prototyping of the center console. I have seen the mockup and it looks pretty sweet. Supposedly I will get the first production unit. We will see. If I do I will post pics.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't the center gauge cluster on the SS redundant?

Not at all,

I knew from my 05 6.0L the the oil pressure gauges are a joke, they are show and tell - glorified idiot gauges. After the engine starts the oil gauge start moving till the hit a designated point and then they lock in and never move again till you shut down or restart. It's useless.

Fuel pressure is important to injectors life and when topped with a turbo or blower they become and given. But when you add extream power fuel pressure becomes critical, don't take fuel pressure lightly.

I wasn't sure about the boost gauge I always found my stock one to be in sink with my digital boost gauge, till resently. Everytime my digital boost gauge read over 23psi, the stock dash boost quit reading past 22psi. I had them check out and learned some intresting things.

1. The complete dash is controlled by a module so one malfuction can effect other gauges.

2. Chips and programs can and will under certian conditions play games with the vehicle cpu sending incorrect signals to it; causeing it to give incorrect dash gauge reading i.e. boost gauge.

However they can not alter the reading of gauges that are not tied into the vehicle cpu.

So to answer the question correctly Yes the are redundent. However they are a necessary redundancy because Mfg'ers use bogas dash gauges and because of the games some chips and programers can play.

I figure Im preaching to the quire here but there it is for what ever it's worth.

I question you all shoud ask is are they going to run that big bulky wire harness accross the top of the dash for everyone to see how ugly it is, like they have done on the 360hp Shelby GT. Or will they hide it out of sight, and out if mind. After yo see that wire harness running accross the dash, every time you think of the gauges you see that wire harness look SOoo ugly and out of place, like an after thought.

JimC

I question you all shoud ask is are they going to run that big bulky wire harness accross the top of the dash for everyone to see how ugly it is, like they have done on the 360hp Shelby GT. Or will they hide it out of sight, and out if mind. After yo see that wire harness running accross the dash, every time you think of the gauges you see that wire harness look SOoo ugly and out of place, like an after thought.

JimC

Thanks for the informative answer. You bring up another good point too. The fit of the final product is important to me. They already offer this piece in their catalog, and the fit wasn't that great (check the photo).

Not at all,

I knew from my 05 6.0L the the oil pressure gauges are a joke, they are show and tell - glorified idiot gauges. After the engine starts the oil gauge start moving till the hit a designated point and then they lock in and never move again till you shut down or restart. It's useless.

Fuel pressure is important to injectors life and when topped with a turbo or blower they become and given. But when you add extream power fuel pressure becomes critical, don't take fuel pressure lightly.

I wasn't sure about the boost gauge I always found my stock one to be in sink with my digital boost gauge, till resently. Everytime my digital boost gauge read over 23psi, the stock dash boost quit reading past 22psi. I had them check out and learned some intresting things.

1. The complete dash is controlled by a module so one malfuction can effect other gauges.

2. Chips and programs and can and will under certian conditions play games with the vehicle cpu sending incorrect signals to it; causeing it to give incorrect dash gauge reading i.e. boost gauge.

However they can not alter the reading of gauges that are not tied into the vehicle cpu.

So to answer the question correctly Yes the are redundent. However they are a necessary redundancy because Mfg'ers use bogas dash gauges and because of the games some chips and programers can play.

I figure Im preaching to the quire here but there it is for what ever it's worth.

JimC

JimC,

Glad to see you’re an old timer who likes things done a certain way when it comes to gauges & wiring, but in today’s modern world of making it smaller, faster & cheaper is something that each manufacture can not get around anymore. Why is this you ask? It’s simple, can you say NAFTA? (North America Free Trade Agreement)

I’ll give a real world example that is currently taking place where I work. We make many interior parts for GM, Daimler Chrysler & Ford. Items such as complete working headliners, sun visors, complete Dash gauge clusters with all the engine gauges you mention above, A/C knobs, A/C control units, Dome lights, Courtesy lights, Center console seats, A-Pillar covers, and a few other things that I can’t get into because the list is so long.

The reason gauge clusters are now made from plastic & insert molded circuit inlays are due to several reasons, you can fit controls into a confined space with a more complex design, less wires for the assembly workers to hook up when it’s a plug-n-play, less weight in a car/truck/van due to less wires, it’s quicker to make and you can change the look or style of it for each model year if you choose to.

Currently we are going to have to cut 140 to 200 jobs from our plant because we have to move these operations to Mexico to our new sister plant so we can try to break even or squeak out a small profit due to labor savings. This decision was made due to all three of our customers saying they want it for a dollar cheaper or more each or they were giving the business to a Japanese company who could do it for way less then what they were asking us to do it for, so to keep the business within the company they are going to have to move the jobs/work to our sister plant in Mexico.

My point is that the gauges you like are from the old school world (low volume manufacturing), in today’s Modern world of (High Volume Manufacturing) car manufactures are forced to design & build things a certain way to keep up with the competition in pricing, size & weight reduction so they (the customer) can build a vehicle cheaper, faster & more reliable then they did 40 years ago. I say if you want to mod your car because you don’t like what the manufacture did, then just change it to what makes you happy & move on.

JimC,

Glad to see you’re an old timer who likes things done a certain way when it comes to gauges & wiring, but in today’s modern world of making it smaller, faster & cheaper is something that each manufacture can not get around anymore. Why is this you ask? It’s simple, can you say NAFTA? (North America Free Trade Agreement)

I’ll give a real world example that is currently taking place where I work. We make many interior parts for GM, Daimler Chrysler & Ford. Items such as complete working headliners, sun visors, complete Dash gauge clusters with all the engine gauges you mention above, A/C knobs, A/C control units, Dome lights, Courtesy lights, Center console seats, A-Pillar covers, and a few other things that I can’t get into because the list is so long.

The reason gauge clusters are now made from plastic & insert molded circuit inlays are due to several reasons, you can fit controls into a confined space with a more complex design, less wires for the assembly workers to hook up when it’s a plug-n-play, less weight in a car/truck/van due to less wires, it’s quicker to make and you can change the look or style of it for each model year if you choose to.

Currently we are going to have to cut 140 to 200 jobs from our plant because we have to move these operations to Mexico to our new sister plant so we can try to break even or squeak out a small profit due to labor savings. This decision was made due to all three of our customers saying they want it for a dollar cheaper or more each or they were giving the business to a Japanese company who could do it for way less then what they were asking us to do it for, so to keep the business within the company they are going to have to move the jobs/work to our sister plant in Mexico.

My point is that the gauges you like are from the old school world (low volume manufacturing), in today’s Modern world of (High Volume Manufacturing) car manufactures are forced to design & build things a certain way to keep up with the competition in pricing, size & weight reduction so they (the customer) can build a vehicle cheaper, faster & more reliable then they did 40 years ago. I say if you want to mod your car because you don’t like what the manufacture did, then just change it to what makes you happy & move on.

ColdwaterHotrod

I hear ya, I agree and understand, you’re preaching to the choir here.

Thanks for inside perspective.

Old style gauges were removed because of cost and because the average person thought they were cool looking and wanted them, but just could not understand how to correctly intrepid the readings, resulting in lots of user damage, needless service, service cost and complaints.

Old timer new timer makes no difference to me.

Yes I am from the old school and proud of it.

No I don’t require things done the old way just because.

Yes I want things done right regardless of weather it is old school or new, I’ll go with what works best.

I am open to new Ideas; the day I stop learning and close my mind, is the day you will have to pry my toys out of my cold dead fingers.

What I was getting at is that the new gauges use resistors that lock the needle once they reach a pre set point.

Todays dash or gauge cluster is controlled by a single power supply and a control module that receives singles from the vehicle cpu, interprets the singles then sends it to the proper place. Because they work the way they do they are dependent on other components for their reading. Therefore, are more susceptible to incorrect reading then stand alone gauges.

That’s not good or bad it’s just the way it is.

So, the reason to have the old school gauge pod in the SS is not just because its old school and look cool, it really is useful in preventing costly engine failure on a very expensive engine. 15k stock off the show room floor engine.

Personally, I prefer the clean uncluttered sleeper look and would like to see all in-dash factory gauges, if they were all real gauges and not just show and tell.

I do not believe they are “ALL” true gauges. In the sense that they can give a consistence and accurate reading at all times.

They are gauges in a sense that they are tied into a given sensor and can activate an idiot light.

Once again it all boils down to preference, and the age old augment. Do you want to know and/or do you need know exactly what’s going on in your 15 to 25k engine at all times, or are you satisfied knowing that a problem has already happened when you see the idiot light.

Not where your at yet, But getting there, soon I hope!

07 vert blk on blk clean lean mean sleeper. the strips still in the factory packaging sitting in my garage.

Archived