TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has Anybody Had this Problem

rbortnick

The other night I was cruising around when my battery indicator light lit up and there was a message on my message screen saying "Check Charging System". The message and the indicator light then went away and came back every so often, they did not stay on. Is this normal? I would think that if there is a problem that the warning light and message should stay on until the problemis rectified.

Of course intermittent problems are always the worst, as when I take it to the dealer of course the warning will not come back and I suspect that they will say the car is fine.

Looking for some insight from anybody that has had a similar situation.

Inside the alternator is a diode. If the diode 'sticks' it would do exactly as you stated.

Most likely needs the alternator replaced.

However, without it being able to act up for the dealer it would probably be impossible to get it warrantied.

Don't worry about it though, it's nothing to worry about unless the light is on. Then get it fixed when the dealer can verify what exactly has failed and replace the bad part(s).

I have a professional automotive repair facility and 98% of the time the alternator is the only problem found and it fixes the problem.

I see you have one of those rare Grabber Orange GT500's

-great looking car.

...I guess it is possible that since it's Grabber Orange they used a "school-bus" sized alternator more prone to failing...you might want to check into that....there's a thread on that color somewhere....

:hysterical:

J/K J/K

Inside the alternator is a diode. If the diode 'sticks' it would do exactly as you stated.

However, without it being able to act up for the dealer it would probably be impossible to get it warrantied.

Don't worry about it though, it's nothing to worry about unless the light is on. Then get it fixed when the dealer can verify what exactly has failed and replace the bad part(s).

I have a professional automotive repair facility and 98% of the time the alternator is the only problem found and it fixes the problem.

-great looking car.

...I guess it is possible that since it's Grabber Orange they used a "school-bus" sized alternator more prone to failing...you might want to check into that....there's a thread on that color somewhere....

J/K J/K

Speaking of school buses....Grabber...?

:waiting:

:hysterical2:

The computer should save those occurences for the dealer to see once they plug into the pcm right?

I'd have em go pull the codes and see what happens!

Computer (PCM) will only store "trouble codes" such as if your CHECK ENGINE Light comes on.

You can scan for codes just to double check but if there is any codes you probably would only find "system voltage low" or "charging system failure" or something to that effect. It still wouldn't tell you what exactly failed - which is most likely a bad or sticking diode in the alternator. But it can be tested when the "Check Charging System" light stays on so the dealer can diagnose & repair.

Good OL School Bus Yellow - Aint that the truth. The Paint chips are pretty much exact. I had my mirros and rockers painted and the guy at the body shop pointed this out to me, he actually almost made the mistake and ordered School Bus Yellow paint :hysterical::hysterical:

Thanks for the reply's and info - awsome board at SU as always.

Rod

-great looking car.

J/K J/K

Yeah, the GO GT500's (and their driver's,i.e., Grabber) are more prone to fail :happy feet: :happy feet: :hysterical:

The other night I was cruising around when my battery indicator light lit up and there was a message on my message screen saying "Check Charging System". The message and the indicator light then went away and came back every so often, they did not stay on. Is this normal? I would think that if there is a problem that the warning light and message should stay on until the problemis rectified.

Of course intermittent problems are always the worst, as when I take it to the dealer of course the warning will not come back and I suspect that they will say the car is fine.

Looking for some insight from anybody that has had a similar situation.

As it turns out I get in my car after the weekend and no go, dead as a door nail. Had it towed to Ford, Alternator & Battery are done and both need to be replaced. Diode stuck just like Joshua stated on this thread (thank you). Go figure 7000KM and I need new battery and alt., my 95 Cougar runs in -30 degree C weather all winter for years before I need a battery and have never had to replace the alt. What gives ???? Add this to the tranny issues and makes a guy wonder ???

I think I may take Grabbers advice and add that extended warranty onto my car just because I hardly put any miles on it.

Archived