TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1968 GT/CS Mustang - what's it worth?

Today I came across the car below near by (same colors & top, but not the actual car). The guy says it has 54,000 actual miles, A/C, factory 4-speed everthing works, looks to have been repainted once (still looks good) & has been in a magaizne back in 1999. It has a 390 cubic motor (2v or 4v carb?) & it's suppost to be one of 141 cars with these options but I can not find much info on it. what is something like this worth that needs restoring to make it perfect? On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 7.9 to 8.5 rating for it's year & condition. No rust & 1 seam coming apart on the passenger seat.

post-768-1189993892_thumb.jpg post-768-1189993904_thumb.jpg

post-768-1189993892_thumb.jpg

post-768-1189993904_thumb.jpg

Today I came across the car below near by (same colors & top, but not the actual car). The guy says it has 54,000 actual miles, A/C, factory 4-speed everthing works, looks to have been repainted once (still looks good) & has been in a magaizne back in 1999. It has a 390 cubic motor (2v or 4v carb?) & it's suppost to be one of 141 cars with these options but I can not find much info on it. what is something like this worth that needs restoring to make it perfect? On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 7.9 to 8.5 rating for it's year & condition. No rust & 1 seam coming apart on the passenger seat.

post-768-1189993892_thumb.jpg post-768-1189993904_thumb.jpg

Coldy, I'll let others respond on value, I know nothing there.

However, be sure to look at the front frame rails for rust...that's where they get bad. Also if it has power steering check for fluid leaks...those things often leak and they are fairly expensive to repair.

Good luck! I can see you in that car. ;)

If the owner has a Marti report, that will verify the rarity of the options on the car. If he does not have one, ask him to get one or get one yourself if he will give you the vin number. I would think a 390/4-speed in a Cal special is rare. Most were 302's. To get the report, search Kevin Marti and I am sure you will find it. He is here is Arizona.

Actually Dusty & I went to this Guys house to look at Doberman Pincher Puppies he had for sale & I asked the puppy if he was Ok going to a home that was True Blue with No Bow Ties? He mentioned he was a blue oval guy too & that he had 2 mustangs, 1 (94) that had been stolen & recovered (was being repaired) & his 68 1/2? I asked to see them & he said only one of them was there, so while the girls looked at puppies I look at the stang & low & behold when I rounded the corner in the garage I seen "California Special" on the rear quarter panel I knew it wasn't your everyday old mustang. He proceeded to tell me that he bought it in high school from the town in btw. us & has had it since 1999 & that I would :censored: at how much he paid for it. I asked & took guesses but he never do say how much he had into it less than 10k is my guess since he said it was lower. He told me the previous owner had it in a magazine (which he had & showed me) & knew that it was 1 of 141 or 144 cars with a 4-speed & 390 motor. I asked what it was worth & he had no idea. I said if you want to sell me the puppy & throw this car in with the deal I'll give $8,000 for the puppy & car. He never did answer only laughed like I wasn't serious. I am seriously thinking of going back & making an offer to him to see what it will take to get it.

Well, 8k would probably buy a nice driver coupe. I would guess being that rare that he could possibly be looking for 25-30k or more. I guess it depends on how serious he is about selling. I have been thinking about letting my 69 Mach 1 go but have mixed emotions. I restored it and have never driven it. I would only let it go before my GT500 comes in to buy a Ford GT. I would need to see somewhere around 90k to sell so I don't know how many buyers there are at that price. Makes it easier to keep it I guess.

FYI, Ford made the same car sold in the Denver area called the High Country Special. Exact same car and equipment. I would think they are more rare than the California Specials.

Well, 8k would probably buy a nice driver coupe. I would guess being that rare that he could possibly be looking for 25-30k or more. I guess it depends on how serious he is about selling. I have been thinking about letting my 69 Mach 1 go but have mixed emotions. I restored it and have never driven it. I would only let it go before my GT500 comes in to buy a Ford GT. I would need to see somewhere around 90k to sell so I don't know how many buyers there are at that price. Makes it easier to keep it I guess.

FYI, Ford made the same car sold in the Denver area called the High Country Special. Exact same car and equipment. I would think they are more rare than the California Specials.

Thanks for the info. From what I have been researching the car could be worth 35k if it's as rare as I think it is. next step is to get back over there & get that vin number so I can get a marti report & know what it is for sure & how many,and it even has the rare over head console in it.

Archived