TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IMPORTANT NOTICE

KingCobra

ARE WE LOSING THE SPIRIT OF THE SHELBY COBRA GT500 TO CUT COSTS???

Although we all hear chatter talking about things that may materialize or not. May be true or not. I've got a growing concern, as one of the first people in 36 years to order a Shelby Cobra GT500, that we may lose some of what makes the Shelby personality in this car to cut costs. Although the bones of this car are essentially the Ford Mustang, there is an injection of racing spirit that could only come from Shelby that differentiates it, making it something extra special. The face of the car is instantly recognizable, but the character offers a personallity that is uniquely different.

I have heard talk that we may be losing some of the very details that set this car apart. Some of the appeal that won me so instantly and forcefully that I feel a sense of mourning at the very thought of losing even a single piece of what makes it mine. Rumour has it we may be losing the leather on the dash, the two-toned interior, the embroidered cobra on the front seats, the S H E L B Y accross the back of the rear deck lid, the Shelby racing stripes, and the nineteen inch wheels.

That's not to say that these things won't be offered as optional extras possibly.

These are the details (other than the engine) that make this car somthing more. Something beyond your expectations. Without them this car will be a Ford Mustang with more power. Ford Mustangs have been around since the early 60's and are a dime a dozen as a result. But, the Shelby Cobra GT500 was arguably the greatest muscle car ever built, and has not been produced for 36 years. This marks the 40th anniversary of an icon, and deserves to be adorned as the King of the Road it is.

Please note your comments and concerns if you share my feelings and would like to see if we can make a collective voice to Ford and SVT. We are the market that they are appealing to, and are the first customers for this car in 4 decades. Please keep in mind that we are all here out of our passion for this car, and keep comments respectful. If anyone has suggestions on how we can get our thoughts and concerns to the right guy, assumably Hau Tai-Tang let me know. First, we need to make sure we are all on the same page.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

KingCobra

I will try and ask Ford those questions this week.  What else would be good questions?

444[/snapback]

See if they (FORD/SVT) will let US take a survey on what options to have on the car or what we feel WE need to be on the car to keep US interested it.

WE are the Marketing Target & WE should have a voice in it including the MSRP price with the options we see fit for it.

KingCobra

440[/snapback]

I'm not loosing the Spirit, but loosing my Patience! It's been almost 1 1/2 months now since we have heard or seen any NEW news on the car, the options, the looks, spy photos or any cars see on the roads. What's up with that?

Now all of a sudden you can't find one or see one anywhere?

It's always the quietest before the storm of complaints. Lets hope it’s not so.

I will try and ask Ford those questions this week.  What else would be good questions?

444[/snapback]

Thank you again Robert,

How would it be possible for one of us to actually speak with someone about these concerns? These are the details that I believe won us over as fans enough for some of us to put down money on something that actually does not exist. The earliest reports were that this would not be a bait and switch and that the prototype actually depicted, within a small margin, what we would recieve in the final production. Based on this I feel enough of us had enough faith to put money down on that word. Without question, the first run of the Shelby Cobra GT500 has long since been sold out. My hope is that Ford and SVT will match that commitment, and stay true the prototype as it was depicted. All this concern comes from our passion, not critisism.

Thanks again, to you and SVT,

KingCobra / James.

I would like to know how they feel opening up the dealer pool serves existing SVT original owners and further to that are they going to make it possible to access a car without the silly collecter crap(markup frenzy) that has been postulated? I am going to get my owners manual and quote what it say's. Edit forthcoming

I see one rumour was true. They have moved the rear brake light down from the rear spoiler to the rear deck lid, where S H E L B Y used to live. Say it isn't so. How can you have Carroll Shelby collaborate on the Shelby Cobra GT500, and then remove his name. This was a very important part of the car for me, and I hope they will not go this way. Please put it back the way it was. I Loved It!!!

KingCobra.

post-1791-1130205735_thumb.jpg

post-1791-1130205735_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't go by that picture - it's just a test mule.

464[/snapback]

I hope you're right, Robert. I hope you're right. It's just not right without the S H E L B Y accross the back of the rear deck lid. I originally wondered if I would like a 3/4 scale accross the brow of the hood, like the originals had. It has to be there somewhere, and I like the way they had it the first time.

KingCobra.

I have asked Ford the questions raised on this board (and in the many e-mails) regarding the GT500 concept .vs. the future production model. I will report back once I hear back from them.

Don't panic: I've seen a lot of test Mustangs around here over the years with all types of features that never made it into a production model, as well as some that did.

Let's keep in mind that many of these mules will be crushed out, so they are not going to "adorn" them with everything that will be on the production model. . .that would not make sense.

Something to consider: A California special model is around the corner too - and it will probably use some parts off of the Shelby like the original C/S did in 1968.

That's what I figured.. The "mules" should only be used for testing purposes. Its the concept car that sells you on the looks.

BTW - I'm on 4 dealer lists in the NE and waiting patiently. I'm taking my daughter to the Detriot auto show in January.

Can't wait for January

Although we all hear chatter talking about things that may materialize or not.  May be true or not.  I've got a growing concern, as one of the first people in 36 years to order a Shelby Cobra GT500, that we may lose some of what makes the Shelby personality in this car to cut costs.  Although the bones of this car are essentially the Ford Mustang, there is an injection of racing spirit that could only come from Shelby that differentiates it, making it something extra special.  The face of the car is instantly recognizable, but the character offers a personallity that is uniquely different. 

I have heard talk that we may be losing some of the very details that set this car apart.  Some of the appeal that won me so instantly and forcefully that I feel a sense of mourning at the very thought of losing even a single piece of what makes it mine.  Rumour has it we may be losing the leather on the dash, the two-toned interior, the embroidered cobra on the front seats, the S H E L B Y accross the back of the rear deck lid, the Shelby racing stripes, and the nineteen inch wheels. 

That's not to say that these things won't be offered as optional extras possibly.

These are the details (other than the engine) that make this car somthing more.  Something beyond your expectations.  Without them this car will be a Ford Mustang with more power.  Ford Mustangs have been around since the early 60's and are a dime a dozen as a result.  But, the Shelby Cobra GT500 was arguably the greatest muscle car ever built, and has not been produced for 36 years.  This marks the 40th anniversary of an icon, and deserves to be adorned as the King of the Road it is.

Please note your comments and concerns if you share my feelings and would like to see if we can make a collective voice to Ford and SVT.  We are the market that they are appealing to, and are the first customers for this car in 4 decades.  Please keep in mind that we are all here out of our passion for this car, and keep comments respectful.  If anyone has suggestions on how we can get our thoughts and concerns to the right guy, assumably Hau Tai-Tang let me know.  First, we need to make sure we are all on the same page.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

KingCobra

440[/snapback]

Send your concerns in writing to the new top guy at SVT.......

Ford Motor Co., SVT Division

Burt Diamond, Marketing and Sales Mgr

777 Republic Drive #F

Allen Park, MI 48101

I see one rumour was true.  They have moved the rear brake light down from the rear spoiler to the rear deck lid, where S H E L B Y used to live.  Say it isn't so.  How can you have Carroll Shelby collaborate on the Shelby Cobra GT500, and then remove his name.  This was a very important part of the car for me, and I hope they will not go this way.  Please put it back the way it was.  I Loved It!!!

KingCobra.

460[/snapback]

In another part of this site, on the article about the GT500 convertible, the author seems to state that the "SHELBY" signature is on the rear decklid.......I hope that means that it is retained as the original prototype...It would make sense that the test mules we have all seen are modified GT's, since some of the final parts for the Shelby probably won't show up until Job 1 sometime next summer....Keep the faith, we are all seeing test mules, and they are not going to put "SHELBY" nameplates on test mules, just wouldn't make sense......

444[/snapback]

Hi Robert....It will be more effective to write to SVT heads directly...The guys at the info. can be somewhat wishy-washy.......

If you have concerns, especially constructive criticism, please write to the below address and individual.....This way you will be heard.........

Ford Motor Co. SVT Division

Attn: Burt Diamond Marketing Mgr

777 Republic Drive #F

Allen Park, MI 48101

YOU DA MAN!!!

I certainly don't want to be part of an unneccessary panic, but also do want to sit back and just hope until the window of possible change is closed.

We all thank you for your time and efforts!!!

KingCobra.

444[/snapback]

Robert,

From what I gather you either work at, or for Ford Motor Company & or for SVT in some direct fashion, or maybe even have a direct connection with someone their.

What ever the case, I (we) thank you for the insiders insight you have been giving us... It helps keep some of us from going off the deep end on what is & what's not going to happen with the car we all came to fall in love with at the New York Auto show.

Thanks again for the updates, they are greatly appreciated more then you will ever know.

How about the rumors I have heard lately of optional hoods in the works? I have read that there may be 3 optional hoods to choose from...

Also as stated before, this is the 40th anniversary of the Shelby...so any special additions/options/badges going to be offered?

Just to keep this thread moving....

I will also write some of my thoughts to the address above. Thanks for being the conveyor of these thoughts!

:)

The photos I've seen of the test mules, with the exception of the yellow one, all have un-painted hoods. I hope this indicates they are still working on the final production version and are just testing it as well as us. One way to find out what the buyers want is to find out what they don't want.

• 4 months later...

This post is for those of you guys who may remember me, I was one of the crowd here for the last year or so. Waiting for my chance to fill out my order and drive off into the sunset in a shiny new red/white GT500.

Sadly, I became more and more dissapointed over the changes being made and the uncertain street price for a car that I saw as moving further and further away from what initially got me excited about it. So I cut my losses and filled a different lifelong dream - I used my GT500 stash to buy a super cherry, loaded up, 2003 Porsche Boxster-S. 6-speed. Midnight blue metallic......and I am in love.

So I won't get to feel the almost 500HP slam me back in the seat like I dreamed about over many, many, nights. Instead, that promise has been replaced by the ability to blow through an S section at "holy crap" speed, with a car that is apparently welded to the asphalt - to feel a car in my hands that seems almost to be able to read what you are thinking before you actually ask it to act on it - an experience that, let me assure you, any car buff should experience at least once in their life. It is incredibly exhilerating.

...And I won't be getting from 0-60 in under 5 seconds, it takes me a whole 0.6 second longer, but getting to 100 only takes about another 2 seconds, but they don't publish that one anywhere. I took a run at the top end of 165 once, but I was getting there a whole lot quicker than I was quite ready for, so I backed her down...I'll save that one for another day on a track somewhere.

I wish you guys the best in getting your monsters. If they stop changing it and build the dam thing it should be a hell of a car. I hope dealers don't scalp your dreams away. SVT looks like it's done. This one will probably be the last. There may not be a 2008 to wait for. I met and conversed with some good people here, and I know how passionate some of you are.

I regret my decision every now and then. That is... right up until I open the door, slide into the seat, and turn the key.....then the world couldn't be any more right for me....... I know now this was the way it was supposed to work out. I wish nothing less for all of you guys.

Andy

This post is for those of you guys who may remember me, I was one of the crowd here for the last year or so. Waiting for my chance to fill out my order and drive off into the sunset in a shiny new red/white GT500.

Sadly, I became more and more dissapointed over the changes being made and the uncertain street price for a car that I saw as moving further and further away from what initially got me excited about it. So I cut my losses and filled a different lifelong dream - I used my GT500 stash to buy a super cherry, loaded up, 2003 Porsche Boxster-S. 6-speed. Midnight blue metallic......and I am in love.

So I won't get to feel the almost 500HP slam me back in the seat like I dreamed about over many, many, nights. Instead, that promise has been replaced by the ability to blow through an S section at "holy crap" speed, with a car that is apparently welded to the asphalt - to feel a car in my hands that seems almost to be able to read what you are thinking before you actually ask it to act on it - an experience that, let me assure you, any car buff should experience at least once in their life. It is incredibly exhilerating.

...And I won't be getting from 0-60 in under 5 seconds, it takes me a whole 0.6 second longer, but getting to 100 only takes about another 2 seconds, but they don't publish that one anywhere. I took a run at the top end of 165 once, but I was getting there a whole lot quicker than I was quite ready for, so I backed her down...I'll save that one for another day on a track somewhere.

I regret my decision every now and then. That is... right up until I open the door, slide into the seat, and turn the key.....then the world couldn't be any more right for me....... I know now this was the way it was supposed to work out. I wish nothing less for all of you guys.

I wish you guys the best in getting your monsters. If they stop changing it and build the dam thing it should be a hell of a car. I hope dealers don't scalp your dreams away. SVT looks like it's done. This one will probably be the last. There may not be a 2008 to wait for. I met and conversed with some good people here, and I know how passionate some of you are.

Andy

Good luck with you new car,I'm glad to see you're happy with it.

I'm arfaid that the way it is turning out around here, many of us won't be getting the new Shelby either.Mainly because of the high dealer mark up and also dealers going back on their word to sell at MSRP .

It is a sad day to see ,there will be a lot more disapointed "Loyal Ford buyers " forced to go elsewhere I'm afraid. :shrug:

Andy

Nice car. Good luck with it. My neighbour has a 2004 GT3. Took a spin in that one. Man, those brakes are awesome and can't be beaten.

Thanks PJCobra....yea, it will definately brake. Very balanced under braking too. The thing that suprised me the most, is how quick it is. When you stand on it, the car literally jumps, and you find yourself at redline way before your expecting it (the first time you do it.) Just goes to show you...the numbers don't always give the right impression. The quickness is a lot more impressive than the 0-60 numbers had me expecting.

Boxer S.... nice ride! :beerchug: was one of the cars on my short list.

Believe me...if your GT500 doesn't work out for you, make this one the fall back position. You won't be sorry you did. Best of luck either way kepfordj.

Andy

We all want the car and that is a given! But I think we can all agree, the dealer is going to make a buck when they can so hold tight and soon we will be the smart ones, and not pay $5000-$100000 over MSRP. Hold tight and the true mustang owner will win in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope!

Archived