TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Value of Convertibles -VS- Coupes

gabed1

Now that the production numbers have come out with ruffly:

2694 Convertibles

8150 Coupes

It seem logical that because of the lower production number for the Convertibles they are going to be

worth more/better resale than the coupes.... :snake:

Any thoughts from the group? (*also how long will it take the market place to place a higher value on them. think about it there are only 1694 more convertibles than 08 KR's )

2694 Convertibles

8150 Coupes

It seem logical that because of the lower production number for the Convertibles they are going to be

Any thoughts from the group? (*also how long will it take the market place to place a higher value on them. think about it there are only 1694 more convertibles than 08 KR's )

Also, convertibles are more fun to drive, in higher demand and the black ones are the fastest cars! :headspin:

2694 Convertibles

8150 Coupes

If you are in the market for a vert, then that's what you will buy, but they made more Coupes than Verts because the market says that most buyers want a coupe.

As far a values ago, I think you will need to let this entire Shelby run play out. There are the 2008's comming out, then there are the 2009's. Then there is the new body style 2010's and you know that they are going to keep making Shelby's. SAI is not setting up 5 additional mod shops around the US just to do a couple years worth of Super Snakes! They know the big picture, and it's big. Don't forget the GT350 is comming too.

I guess what I am trying to say is that IMO it will take many many years. Say at least 20 before your value will go up. For me, I plan to still be driving mine in 20 years since I am such a young punk! :hysterical2:

I had an 05 GT vert that I had to sell to get the Shelby. It was a lot harder to sell than a coupe would have been. People think they're either dangerous, or noisy or both.

I am 26 so in 40 years i (might) see the car worth more then it is today. Man how a few years change things at frist i was thinking these cars would go up in value fast but with them making 10k + this year and some where near 30k by 2009. These things are going to have the value of Kia's befour my warrantys up

Also, convertibles are more fun to drive, in higher demand and the black ones are the fastest cars! :headspin:

since i dont have a vert ..... the black verts maybe the fastest. But the fastest GT500 of them all are the red coupes :happy feet:

I am 26 so in 40 years i (might) see the car worth more then it is today. Man how a few years change things at frist i was thinking these cars would go up in value fast but with them making 10k + this year and some where near 30k by 2009. These things are going to have the value of Kia's befour my warrantys up

I didn't buy as an investment! Iknew they were looking to sell 8k-10k per year for at least 3 yrs. Knowing that and telling every person I talked to including dealerships but everyone kept saying it was a limited production car. I sould shake my head and say 10k a year is not a limited producion. The 2000 Cobra R was a limited production (300 and they were numbered).

Just Have fun now cause you never know what tomorrow will bring.

JJ

I plan to still be driving my in 40 years since I am a younger PUNK.....lol :hysterical2:

I'm afraid mine will be "used up" in 40 years...probably 20...but that's OK....the sooner I use this one up the sooner I can get the next better, faster Mustang :happy feet:

What'd you say wife? :banghead:

I'll be driving this one for a while I guess. :hysterical2:

I didn't buy as an investment! Iknew they were looking to sell 8k-10k per year for at least 3 yrs. Knowing that and telling every person I talked to including dealerships but everyone kept saying it was a limited production car. I sould shake my head and say 10k a year is not a limited producion. The 2000 Cobra R was a limited production (300 and they were numbered).

Just Have fun now cause you never know what tomorrow will bring.

JJ

This is an interesting statement. I've often wondered what the market share relationship the Shelby GT500 had in 1967 to the total number of cars produced and sold and its relationship to the total number of cars on the road in 1967. Over the years has the market increased 500% for cars produced and number of cars on the road?

I would not be surprised if the 2007 GT500 is actually more rare in relationship to the total market today than it was in 1967 even though the total number of units poduced in 2007 was 500% greater than they were in 1967.

What that equates to in another 20, 30, or 40 years will be anyone's guess. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other as it isn't in my plans to sell the car anyway.

Lets put it this way, less verts built, thus if someoen was looking for one, less chance of finding on, thus possible higher price point. So it depends, but IMO I say they will hold a higher value.

As for the mention of an 09 GT500.... this again? I thought this was still a BIG maybe at best!!!

If you are in the market for a vert, then that's what you will buy, but they made more Coupes than Verts because the market says that most buyers want a coupe.

As far a values ago, I think you will need to let this entire Shelby run play out. There are the 2008's comming out, then there are the 2009's. Then there is the new body style 2010's and you know that they are going to keep making Shelby's. SAI is not setting up 5 additional mod shops around the US just to do a couple years worth of Super Snakes! They know the big picture, and it's big. Don't forget the GT350 is comming too.

I guess what I am trying to say is that IMO it will take many many years. Say at least 20 before your value will go up. For me, I plan to still be driving mine in 20 years since I am such a young punk! :hysterical2:

Man I was going to say something.......but then I realized that GRABBER said it all so nicely :waiting:

I have no better response :superhero:

This is an interesting statement. I've often wondered what the market share relationship the Shelby GT500 had in 1967 to the total number of cars produced and sold and its relationship to the total number of cars on the road in 1967. Over the years has the market increased 500% for cars produced and number of cars on the road?

I would not be surprised if the 2007 GT500 is actually more rare in relationship to the total market today than it was in 1967 even though the total number of units poduced in 2007 was 500% greater than they were in 1967.

What that equates to in another 20, 30, or 40 years will be anyone's guess. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other as it isn't in my plans to sell the car anyway.

good point.....never thought of it that way!

JJ

You would of had fun to ride in a 57 belair 270 chevy.

2694 Convertibles

8150 Coupes

Kelly Blue Book retail value for a convertible is $75,000 and a coupe at $65,000 not bad! :happy feet: :happy feet:

I agree with most that it will take a long time before the GT500 appreciates substantially. That being said, when it eventually appreciates 20, 30 or 40 years from now, I believe the convertible will sell for more.

The fact that the current production bias towards coupe shows a greater demand for them will then be irrelevant. The car collectors' market is not the same as the new car buyers' market. Collectors usually seek exclusivity; most of the time, the rarest version of a specific model will be the most sought after. Using classic muscle cars as a comparison, a 70-71 Hemi Cuda convertible sells for a lot more than a coupe, because the production numbers for the convertible were amazingly low. At the time they were made, those low production numbers certainly indicated a lack of interest from the buying public of the time for those big blocks convertible, but such lack of interest didn't translate to the collectors' market; in was in fact quite the opposite.

With the GT500, the difference in production numbers is not as dramatic as with the Cuda so the respective value of the coupe and convertible should be somewhat closer. However, the fact that the coupes outsell the verts by a 3 to 1 margin should still be enough to give the convertible a significantly higher value down the road.

I agree with most that it will take a long time before the GT500 appreciates substantially. That being said, when it eventually appreciates 20, 30 or 40 years from now, I believe the convertible will sell for more.

The fact that the current production bias towards coupe shows a greater demand for them will then be irrelevant. The car collectors' market is not the same as the new car buyers' market. Collectors usually seek exclusivity; most of the time, the rarest version of a specific model will be the most sought after. Using classic muscle cars as a comparison, a 70-71 Hemi Cuda convertible sells for a lot more than a coupe, because the production numbers for the convertible were amazingly low. At the time they were made, those low production numbers certainly indicated a lack of interest from the buying public of the time for those big blocks convertible, but such lack of interest didn't translate to the collectors' market; in was in fact quite the opposite.

With the GT500, the difference in production numbers is not as dramatic as with the Cuda so the respective value of the coupe and convertible should be somewhat closer. However, the fact that the coupes outsell the verts by a 3 to 1 margin should still be enough to give the convertible a significantly higher value down the road.

+100

Also the Mustang is a four seater. Also helps resale value. I heard this on a car collector show a few months back. # 1 Resale are Four Door Convertibles. Something about the typical US family. Two parents, two children on average. :happy feet:

Archived