TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3rd gear problem question

just a little background....

a friend of mine recently bought a brand new shelby gt a few weeks ago. it has about 2000 miles on it.

he doesnt drive it very hard and is starting to develop a strange problem in 3rd gear. he told me to drive it yesterday (im an avid ford/mustang guy.....and a mechanic)

in 3rd gear, not accelerating (kind of like letting the car slow itself down in gear) there is a chatter in the shifter (very loud and very visible when you let the shifter go). the noise/chatter stops if you hold your hand lightly on the shifter and hold it more towards third gear. it almost seems like the shifter isn't allowing the transmission to engage in gear all the way. i foresee big problems coming up. i was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same type of issue, and if they've had it fixed yet.

my take on it if i can describe it a little better......if this was an old 5.0 car with a short shifter in it, the stops would be adjusted too close to the shifter, and would need backing off. i pulled the shifter boot to find no adjustment. is there an adjustment under the car? i put a triax shifter in my gt500 and there was no adjustment. i was just wondering if the hurst shifter on a 5 speed was different.

this issue is only in 3rd gear. the rest of the gears work perfectly (leading me not to believe its a synchro issue). and the car does not pop out or gear ever.

thanks for any help in advance

pete

I don't really know if there is an adjustment on the internal rail shifter. I hear what your saying on the old 5.0 shifters and even the 04 Cobra Shifter same adjustment. Just adjust the screw in either the front or rear and your good to go. While I do not have my GT yet, I did drive my friends GT last week and there were no issues other than a burr that digs into your finger on the jamb nut under the shifter ball. I tend to agree with your assessment of a syncro issue. I would take it back to the dealer and have it checked.

• 2 weeks later...
just a little background....

a friend of mine recently bought a brand new shelby gt a few weeks ago. it has about 2000 miles on it.

he doesnt drive it very hard and is starting to develop a strange problem in 3rd gear. he told me to drive it yesterday (im an avid ford/mustang guy.....and a mechanic)

in 3rd gear, not accelerating (kind of like letting the car slow itself down in gear) there is a chatter in the shifter (very loud and very visible when you let the shifter go). the noise/chatter stops if you hold your hand lightly on the shifter and hold it more towards third gear. it almost seems like the shifter isn't allowing the transmission to engage in gear all the way. i foresee big problems coming up. i was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same type of issue, and if they've had it fixed yet.

my take on it if i can describe it a little better......if this was an old 5.0 car with a short shifter in it, the stops would be adjusted too close to the shifter, and would need backing off. i pulled the shifter boot to find no adjustment. is there an adjustment under the car? i put a triax shifter in my gt500 and there was no adjustment. i was just wondering if the hurst shifter on a 5 speed was different.

this issue is only in 3rd gear. the rest of the gears work perfectly (leading me not to believe its a synchro issue). and the car does not pop out or gear ever.

thanks for any help in advance

pete

Take it back to the dealer! Bill

Archived