TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production Numbers- Ford/Shelby Come to an Agreement

gabed1

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan,

I agree with you that there can be many more cars between them. However, if I understand this thing correctly, these other cars would not be GT500 but rather regular Mustangs or Mazdas. What I meant was that, relative to GT500 coupes only, there were 10 red ones in a row that were built.

Eric

Ah, I see your point now, Eric ...but couldn't there also be other color GT500s in between them too?

Ah, I see your point now, Eric ...but couldn't there also be other color GT500s in between them too?

I would not think so, at least as far as coupes is concerned, because the overall sequence differential is the same as the color sequence differential. Three Cobas's car is #480 coupe overall vs VNMOUS1's #488 (-8 differential), and #161 vs #169 red coupe (also -8 differential). Those GT500 coupes in between would have to be red.

I thought it was common to have several same color ,same model go down the line at once?

It would normally make sense, however, as ShelbyDude mentionned this is not the way this particular plant works. What surprised me when I toured the plant last month was the fact that cars seemed to roll down the assembly line in no particular order. This plant makes both the Mazda 6 and the Mustang and I though that they were making a bunch of Mustangs and then a bunch of the Mazdas but that's not the case. You can have a V6 Mustang coupe followed by 2 Mazdas, a V8 convertilbe, etc. When I was there, GT500s were few and far between and in various colors. That's why I was a bit surprised that they would make 10 red ones in a row.

However, the more I think of it, the more this makes sense. Since this was early production, these cars were probably destined to be the first ones delivered to their respective dealership. Red with white stripes was the color initially appearing on the 2005 prototype and most press photos released early on. This may have influenced many early buyers as well as dealers ordering their first car. In fact if you look at the sequences, you can see that by the end of June of 06, red coupes represented over 33% of all coupes (yours is #170 red and #489 overall, mine is #202 red and 597 overall). They likely produced more red coupes at the beginning to meet customers' initial demand.

Good thoughts, Eric ...makes a lot of sense. I

I think in that timeframe it might have still been the period before the line was turned-over for regular production. I noticed also that your red coupe is 32 red-coupes later and 100-odd coupes later ...supports your thought that red coupes were about 1/3 of production in that early period. After that the mix seems to change appreciably.

Dan

Been away for a few days.

We may be over-thinking a simple process here. My VIN is over one hundred higher than BJ's. He was obviously serialized well ahead of me since his car was ordered weeks ahead of mine. I had one of the PowerLease deals that was handled directly through Ford / SVT by a particular person, so that would explain how I got slotted for production apparently without regard for order date or VIN. It could also be that there were attempts early to group colors, maybe to speed early production (Reduce the cleaning of the paint guns in the spray booth? Don't know.) - recall that the cars were coming off the line pretty slowly in the early weeks. Remember too that Ford was trying to get the volume dealers and PA dealers their first car as soon as they could so that would have played into the production slotting. I think it will be hard to figure the pattern just based on VIN numbers, but I do think it was a straight forward and logical pattern (at least for Ford) if you could get your hands on the rules that were in force on a monthly basis. Not rocket science.

I'm not sure that's the case. Based on what we learned about Blayne and BJ's relative VINs, there could be many VINS and/or cars between ThreeCobras and VNMOUS1, just as there are 66 VINs and ?? cars between VNMOUS1 and Blayne (and that 66 diff is in reverse order).

ThreeCobras, if you're willing to PM me the last 3 digits of your VIN, I won't post it but will post the realtive differences to Blayne and BJ and anything else it seems to show -- this may give some additional insight ...dunno.

<edit:> corrected typo

Dan, you can't just go by the last 3 of the vin. Those 3 numbers repeat after every 1,000

You have to go by the last 6 or the numbers could be out of sequence if you use any less than that.

Wait a minute!

I think it was Indy Shelby who got theirs 1st on this board & was released to the dealer before it should have & it was a Vista Blue Convertible!

Yes, I saw that car (I was at Skillman Ford in Greenwood Indiana and the hauler pulled out with that car on it)....can't recall the name of the forum member....you say Indy Shelby...but I don't remember if that's right.

Dave

Yes, I saw that car (I was at Skillman Ford in Greenwood Indiana and the hauler pulled out with that car on it)....can't recall the name of the forum member....you say Indy Shelby...but I don't remember if that's right.

Dave

I found it.. It was Indymustang, see link below

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...c=1850&st=0

Dan, you can't just go by the last 3 of the vin. Those 3 numbers repeat after every 1,000

You have to go by the last 6 or the numbers could be out of sequence if you use any less than that.

Correct!

Everytime I called Ralph he only needed the last 6 numbers of the vin # to tell me when it was scheduled for build or where one was at in the process.

Correct!

Everytime I called Ralph he only needed the last 6 numbers of the vin # to tell me when it was scheduled for build or where one was at in the process.

That makes sense ...that the six digits are needed for tracking, but even then VINs are weird realtive to build sequence:

Three red coupes: ThreeCobras (480coupe & 161red), VNMOUS1 (488 & 169) and Blayne (489 & 170) built on the same day but have these VIN spacings: +3,589 and -66 respectively.

So maybe, as ThreeCobras suggests, the fact that his was a Powerlease order affected when it was serialized wich could explain both his earlier car having a higher VIN-seq and the big gap.

I was thinking that maybe the date on which the VIN is assigned might make the VIN-seq obvious, but that would not seem to explain the above either.

Everyone loves a mystery ;)

That makes sense ...that the six digits are needed for tracking, but even then VINs are weird realtive to build sequence:

Three red coupes: ThreeCobras (480coupe & 161red), VNMOUS1 (488 & 169) and Blayne (489 & 170) built on the same day but have these VIN spacings: +3,589 and -66 respectively.

So maybe, as ThreeCobras suggests, the fact that his was a Powerlease order affected when it was serialized wich could explain both his earlier car having a higher VIN-seq and the big gap.

I was thinking that maybe the date on which the VIN is assigned might make the VIN-seq obvious, but that would not seem to explain the above either.

VNMOUS1 & Blayne's vins are over 3,000 apart. They may be 66 apart based on the last 3, but based on the last 6 they are over 3,000 apart. So one of theirs is probably closer to ThreeCobras

I called SVT and they said the reason why they have not officially released the production numbers is a disagreement around Ford and Shelby around the design of the certificates. Officially they now do not have a set time frame to deliver us these numbers. Looks like it is tied up with the lawyers! :banghead:

I think at the very least they should announce how many coupes and Verts were produced!

Voice your opinion

:finger:

I can tell you exactly who is had been holding this up..it's your pal Amy and SAI who don't want Shelby referenced in a certain way because it was not blessed$$$ in Vegas. They don't want to loose any money on their exclusive mods for the blessing$$$. Remember that's why most owners are sending their cars down there. Please do not reply to this post, I don't want to hear any denial. It's just my opinion and I don't want to ruin the SAI B.S. dream for anyone. I also have no problem with this...I wouldn't change my car for anything...just trying to give everyone a sense of why this is happening with the certificates. Let's not forget, this is the only"Shelby" where SAI wasn't involved with any profiteering, only licensing and very good input from Carroll. No, I didn't say Amy!

Maybe it is when you called in to get your production #........

If you haven't called in yet you better do so, so you can have a lower production number! :hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical:

so the numbering is seperated on the gt500s

but how does that account for the first 50 or so that were numerically numbered in their vin?

i.e. my friend has 000027 which is the #27 car off the line. this included convertibles as well?

Numbering is not seperated on GT500.

All the vins run in sequence will all vehicles built at the IAA plant.

So #27 would be the 27th car built at IAA out of ALL mustangs V6 Coupes, V6 Verts, GT Coupes, GT Verts, GT500 Coupes, GT500 Verts and all Mazdas.

This is why it took so long to get the build numbers on all the GT500's built. They had to pull all the vins for all the GT500's and seperate them out from all the other mustangs and mazdas built.

Rather than lump all the coupes and verts together they seperated those out to give a breakdown on what number the coupes were out of all coupes built and what number the verts were out of all verts built.

Just got off the phone with SVT. I'm #3746 of 8152 coupes and #157 of 338 Alloys. Build date was 11/29/06.

Your numbers don't match what others are saying for total coupes...please recheck. Everyone else is saying 8,150 total coupes, not 8,152.

Also, I'm #3742 of 8,150 coupes, and my build date is the same as yours, and my car is Alloy with satin silver stripes....so we were born on the same day! Apparently they built at least 3 other Alloy coupes that same day...for a total of 5 minimum.

Also, I'd like to share VINs if you are willing to see how close we are...I'll pm you.

Dave

Just called SVT and my numbers are as follows:

#2969 out of 8150 coupes

#971 out of all the red coupes built

and there were 28 red stripe delete coupes built, they could not tell me what number mine was out of the 28, but its cool. :happy feet:

SVT also said that the certificates will be available Thursday 9-13-07, I will be calling for mine :headspin:

Just called SVT and my numbers are as follows:

#2969 out of 8150 coupes

#971 out of all the red coupes built

and there were 28 red stripe delete coupes built, they could not tell me what number mine was out of the 28, but its cool. :happy feet:

SVT also said that the certificates will be available Thursday 9-13-07, I will be calling for mine :headspin:

And they will say nothing about Shelby's involvement with the car...you can thank Amy and their 1 attorney for taking that language out. Folks, you need to go to Vegas to make it real$$$.

When I get the certificate it will be the last part of discovery that my firm will need to go after them...BIG TIME!

And they will say nothing about Shelby's involvement with the car...you can thank Amy and their 1 attorney for taking that language out. Folks, you need to go to Vegas to make it real$$$.

When I get the certificate it will be the last part of discovery that my firm will need to go after them...BIG TIME!

What? Go after them? :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

VNMOUS1 & Blayne's vins are over 3,000 apart. They may be 66 apart based on the last 3, but based on the last 6 they are over 3,000 apart. So one of theirs is probably closer to ThreeCobras

I don't understand -- BJ & Blayne's VINs are 66 apart, not 3000 apart. :shrug:

Archived