TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Scratched Windshield

phr3121

Has anyone had their windshield scratched by the dreaded small rock on the windshield wiper issue? As in when you turn on your windshield wipers during a rain and a small rock (other small hard object) makes a dreaded arch scratch on the glass that can’t be cleaned off.

Ouch! What an eye sore. Well, luckily it happened to my Volkswagen and not the Shelby. Anyway, short of changing the windshield ($) I was told by a friend who has a friend in the window (glass) replacement business for houses that one of the things that they use to remove very small scratches on the glass when cleaning it is good old fashioned toothpaste! That’s right, the stuff you use to brush your teeth. He said it had just the right concentration to polish glass when it has been mixed with a little water, dried, and wiped with a 100% cotton cloth.

Well, guess what, I tried it and it really works! He also told me that you can use the same stuff that people use to remove scratches on car paint. Basically the same consistency but more diluted. I also used Scratch X from Meguiar’s Inc. and was amazed at the results! It will make your windshield look 60% better than before. You can still see the scratch under the right light and angle, but what a difference. If you try it use it first on a small area and see the results. Off course I did three applications by hand, more applications will probably give you a better result. Even better would be if you have an electric power polishing tool to do the job for you. :work:

Bummer

thanks for sharing

my windshield did take a hit from a little rock thrown by a BF Truck, it left just a little speck but it shipped the paint. I cleaned it then dabbed touch up paint ti fill the chip

it is perfect and can't even tell it was chipped

Swirl Remover for clear coat paint works as well, it is in the 2000-2500 grit area, but toothpaste is more accessible....I hope? :hysterical:

This works on Glass?

Pending how bad it is scratched.

The hard part about polishing glass is keeping the entire polished area level, meaning that you don't want to mess up the optics of the glass and create waves that refract light in different directions.

good point

what would you use, a block like when color sanding?

Archived