TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HP gains - spark plugs

07Pony

I was just in a book store yesterday reading one of the Mustang magazines (wish I could remember which one :banghead: - I think Mustang Builder???) Anyway, there was a write up about these new spark plugs E3 Spark Plugs. Jegs, Summit Racing and others sell them and they are about $6/plug. The article claims there is about a 13% increase in HP (don't quote me on the exact percentage because I'm pulling from memory) and about the same percentage gains in torque, better fuel economy and the plugs last longer because they burn cleaner.

I have several questions....

1. Has anybody used these plugs and if so what were your results? ..did you like them, did they make any difference?

2. Is it just a simple swap out of plugs, do you need to change anything else in the ignition system?

3. Would this require an engine tune because you are burning fuel at a different ratio?

Hopefully I'm not taking a simple topic and making it more complicated than it is. I'm new at modifying cars. In my opinion this is the first car I've owned that's been worthy of modifying.

I was just in a book store yesterday reading one of the Mustang magazines (wish I could remember which one :banghead: - I think Mustang Builder???) Anyway, there was a write up about these new spark plugs E3 Spark Plugs. Jegs, Summit Racing and others sell them and they are about $6/plug. The article claims there is about a 13% increase in HP (don't quote me on the exact percentage because I'm pulling from memory) and about the same percentage gains in torque, better fuel economy and the plugs last longer because they burn cleaner.

I have several questions....

1. Has anybody used these plugs and if so what were your results? ..did you like them, did they make any difference?

2. Is it just a simple swap out of plugs, do you need to change anything else in the ignition system?

3. Would this require an engine tune because you are burning fuel at a different ratio?

Hopefully I'm not taking a simple topic and making it more complicated than it is. I'm new at modifying cars. In my opinion this is the first car I've owned that's been worthy of modifying.

I call BS on this one. Different spark plug manufacturer's have been claiming this for years. Everytime, independent dyno tests run by others on cars that are running properly have shown these claims to be bogus. I suspect when someone gets around to really testing this plug it will be the same old story

Plugs in themselves do not add horsepower. They may be able to make up of some other defect in the ignition system.

Sorry, I think you would be wasting your money if you bought these for the 13 percent gain in horsepower.

Archived