TEAM SHELBY FORUM

vin number on engine

Does anyone know if and where the vin number was placed on 65/66 mustang six cylinder engines. I know someone that wants to know if his engine is original. Thanks in advance for any info

VIN # was on 289 HIPO and BOSS engines, and also the Shelbys. What most people do is check the casting numbers on the block, heads, and intake manifold. The casting numbers include the part number and casting date. As a general rule, the casting date should be a couple of months before your cars build date. Just about everytyhing you need to know is in the "Mustang Restoration Guide" by Tom Corcoran. Carb #s are stamped on the carb body or along the base with a date also. All of the cast numbers take a little work to find them. Block # is behind the starter, head # is under the valve covers etc. Hope this helps you some, and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

VIN # was on 289 HIPO and BOSS engines, and also the Shelbys. What most people do is check the casting numbers on the block, heads, and intake manifold. The casting numbers include the part number and casting date. As a general rule, the casting date should be a couple of months before your cars build date. Just about everytyhing you need to know is in the "Mustang Restoration Guide" by Tom Corcoran. Carb #s are stamped on the carb body or along the base with a date also. All of the cast numbers take a little work to find them. Block # is behind the starter, head # is under the valve covers etc. Hope this helps you some, and good luck.

My VIN Number is stamped on my 71 429 CJR

Archived