TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Horsepower

RUFDRAFT

All over these threads, you read about who's doing what to get more h.p.

We have members with V6's who have 200 - and all the way up to guys like BadBoy with about 825. :hysterical2:

I'm curious as to when you all would be satisfied. 350? 400? 450? 500? Or more?

Is there a point at which you say - I've got enough?

At the moment, I have to say that due to financial restraints.

But - if I had the bread..... :hysterical2:

I can gaurentee you that I am going to be having some Mod's done to our GT/CS this winter for Tana's Birthday. The GT is light and agile and just needs a tad more power, and maybe a better shifter. So 300 is not enough for our GT. I want to increase it a little.

My goal is mid 12's consistently in the 1/4 mile. Instead of adding more hp to my 07 GT, I've been more concerned with getting more of what Ford gave me to the ground through improved driveline efficiencies. 4.10 gears and a big stall converter have me in the low 13's. I need to find about 50 more horsepower or lose about 500 lbs out of the car somehow, or a little of both. So, about 380hp at the crank (roughly 325 at the wheels) would be enough to make me happy.

Would I want more hp? Sure, but for everyday driving and the occasional backroad blast, there is only so much power a street legal car can utilize.

HP is probably the closest thing to a heroin addiction (I wouldn't really know, but...). The problem is really in how often you drive the car. If it's a daily driver then the rush from new HP fades quickly as you become used to it. Back when I had my 89 GT, I used to think getting to low 13's would satisfy me, then it became high 12's, then low 12's, 11's and so on (I was also single in the Navy then, so I had money to burn). Ultimately, I had to be satisfied with high 10's. Since then I got married had kids - you know the story...well, many of you know. So now I have to be satisfied with 342 rwhp which I suspect is good for mid 12's although I haven't been to the track yet.

I suspect that you won't have enough power as long as the car remains pleasantly drivable which with modern technology in these cars can be well over 600 HP.

I think as long as the car still has street manners I just keep going. On my other Stang it's right on the edge now. I drove it Monday and compared to the Shelby I drove all weekend it's a workout. It's loud, doesn't take road bumps too well, and gets a lot of attention including LEO's. Having said that it was in the shop over the weekend for some more "tweaking" for next weekends race. Like it has been said I wanted low 13's, then 12's, 11's and now I'm looking for 10's and wont stop until I get there.

I think a lot of the HP drug is just to be able to say mine is bigger than yours. I base that on people I know up here that are running 550-600 rwhp and just show the cars.

So, to answer your question I would guess it varies with individual cars, driveability etc but with my two Stangs I would say that one is maxxed out while the Shelby still needs more, maybe another 100 or so rwhp then it'll be time to tackle the suspension.

My take on this is as follows:

My motivation is to have a car that I can tell just others that my crank HP is about 650.. gotta love to brag ! ( when cold mind u !! :hysterical2: ) and the car stands out among other plain jane GT500's that arent modded ... Ya right .. a GT500 is a plain jane ..get real !

Secondly i want to know that if i am doing 20mph and some car/truck/tractor/4wheeler/semi/grannyon a three wheeler/ etc etc etc comes up and wants to race .. and i know a cop isnt around ... if i jump on it the odds are way in my favor of winning convincingly.

Third ... is to get the right set up that I am not reaching the limits of the motor or drivetrain and is semi easy to revert back to stock ... unlike a KB. ( stage II accomplishes this )

I think as long as the car still has street manners I just keep going. On my other Stang it's right on the edge now. I drove it Monday and compared to the Shelby I drove all weekend it's a workout. It's loud, doesn't take road bumps too well, and gets a lot of attention including LEO's. Having said that it was in the shop over the weekend for some more "tweaking" for next weekends race. Like it has been said I wanted low 13's, then 12's, 11's and now I'm looking for 10's and wont stop until I get there.

I think a lot of the HP drug is just to be able to say mine is bigger than yours. I base that on people I know up here that are running 550-600 rwhp and just show the cars.

So, to answer your question I would guess it varies with individual cars, driveability etc but with my two Stangs I would say that one is maxxed out while the Shelby still needs more, maybe another 100 or so rwhp then it'll be time to tackle the suspension.

It's too bad that variable suspension setups are so expensive. I know on the Vettes you can get a variable suspension setup (e.g. "sport", "touring" etc.) which would make it possible to have a daily driver AND a weekend hot rod. I've got a sport suspension on my BMW, and maybe it's just that I'm getting older, but, after a while, having every little blemish in the road feel like a pot hole, gets REALLY old!

I get what you mean about the exhaust being loud, in fact, I've been concerned that some day when I get a GT and set it up with JBAs all the way back, if I'll have to idle down my street when I leave for work in the mornings, as not to enrage my neighbors. It seems to me you can't have both a comfortable daily driver and a car that will blow the doors off of most of the "can" racers. I guess we'll just have to have a car for each.

- Josh

See underlined

My take on this is as follows:

My motivation is to have a car that I can tell just others that my crank HP is about 650.. gotta love to brag ! ( when cold mind u !! :hysterical2: ) and the car stands out among other plain jane GT500's that arent modded ... Ya right .. a GT500 is a plain jane ..get real !

Get Real? Nice.

I don't recall saying 1badsho bench races so don't take it personally. In fact I never mentioned GT500's specifically either.

All over these threads, you read about who's doing what to get more h.p.

We have members with V6's who have 200 - and all the way up to guys like BadBoy with about 825. :hysterical2:

I'm curious as to when you all would be satisfied. 350? 400? 450? 500? Or more?

Is there a point at which you say - I've got enough?

At the moment, I have to say that due to financial restraints.

But - if I had the bread..... :hysterical2:

I'm staying away from this thread...this will turn into a hate match I'm sure.

Go ahead and discuss....have fun. :waiting:

See underlined

Get Real? Nice.

I don't recall saying 1badsho bench races so don't take it personally. In fact I never mentioned GT500's specifically either.

i generally dont race. Actually the only times i have raced against another car besides other shelbygt500s ( that doesnt count ! ) ... is one time .. a 06 GTO ... which i posted about several mths ago.

In our county if you get caught racing u loose your license :censored:

Just knowing u have about as much hp and gears u need to take most .. is satisfaction in itself ! :happy feet:

i generally dont race. Actually the only times i have raced against another car besides other shelbygt500s ( that doesnt count ! ) ... is one time .. a 06 GTO ... which i posted about several mths ago.

Just knowing u have about as much hp and gears u need to take most .. is satisfaction in itself ! :happy feet:

Couldn't "enough" be quantified as: Enough horsepower so that in 5 or 6 years, your car won't be obsolete and can still compete with the cars rolling off of the showroom floor?

- Josh

true .... but there arent too many cars that will hit the 500 or even 600hp ratings esp with gas going up.

You take a look at the last real muscle car which i consider in its day .. incredible ... the ZR1 covevette ... which was stock ... at 480 HP ?

This in its day was heads over heals in hp compared to its competition.

I still believe that 500 HP in 5 years for what the Shelby is .. will still be incredilble !

Street racing never even entered my head. I race.. a lot but I only do it at the track. Despite what people may think with the exception of gun laws in Canada are the same as in US. In fact they're trying to make it that if you get caught street racing not only do you lose your licence, they take and crush your car.

Anyway, back on topic.

Enough hp is when the car starts scaring me. Then it's time to stop.

95 percent of the time - I drive my Mustang moderately. Two or three days might go by before I run it up through 3 gears.

So - what I have at the moment is fine. And all I have to do to keep my car in perspective is drive the wife's PT to the store :hysterical2:

And - around here, I'm a big fish in a small pond. I'm sure in other venues, I'd be selling furniture for the KB! :happy feet:

95 percent of the time - I drive my Mustang moderately. Two or three days might go by before I run it up through 3 gears.

So - what I have at the moment is fine. And all I have to do to keep my car in perspective is drive the wife's PT to the store :hysterical2:

And - around here, I'm a big fish in a small pond. I'm sure in other venues, I'd be selling furniture for the KB! :happy feet:

I of course want to bump up the power in the GT when I get it (who doesn't?) but your comment sums up how I expect it to be for me. If I want perspective I'll just get back in the Jeep, which I love, but lifted with several hundred pounds of steel plate underneath isn't so quick anymore.

That and I'll be able to look around at my neighbors all driving Buicks, Cadillacs and minivans (I live in an "older" neighborhood, I think we're the only couple under 35 living here,) and know that my car is definitely the most fun to drive and by far the fastest.

Excellent point. Speed is relative.

I drove BadBoy's 800 hp Monster Shelby a few weeks ago. Not good!!! :hysterical2:

I've been tempted to use the Visa card to buy a blower. Then I thought, why? I'm not going to race the car every week. With a blower - no one around here will even engage me. It would only be good for popping the hood at car shows and showing it off.

And - the house needs paint! :hysterical2:

Good question Ruf......

If your goal in gaining more power is to do it while maintaining the orginal street manners then you are limited .

I have learned over the years with other cars ,that there is a line that can be crossed in the quest for more power where you loose that original fun to drive dependable car that you brought home from the dealer and instead turned it into a race car which is no longer dependable and a " just hop in it and go for a long ride car".

Kaylan1521 knows what I'm talking about. I have done this with my T-Bird but not the Lightning and won't be going too far with the Shelby either.

Fortunatly the Shelby can reach a very high HP goal and still have it's street manners, that said you must remember everytime you modify something on it you loose some of it's originality so it's always a trade off . The question is how much are you willing to give up to gain HP ?

Ah - originality. Another interesting question.

In my very humble opinion - those who are buying Shelby's as a long-term "investment" need to keep them "all original."

Mod's lower value. Period.

By the way, Dan said you and he had a great time in Dearborn! Good form, George. :happy feet:

Ah - originality. Another interesting question.

In my very humble opinion - those who are buying Shelby's as a long-term "investment" need to keep them "all original."

Mod's lower value. Period.

By the way, Dan said you and he had a great time in Dearborn! Good form, George. :happy feet:

ruf

totally agree as a true collector car. But even with stage II u can easily press on the original factory pulley .. guess u could do the same if u had a KB on .. just takes more work i guess !

Point taken!

I've had a couple of friends who dabbled in collector cars.

The big numbers go to cars completely original.

Me? I'm in big trouble! :hysterical2:

Collector shmector, drive it and enjoy it!!!! :happy feet:

A car is about the worst investment one can make.

Hey, Jim! Where ya been? :hysterical2:

I'm talking about people who buy cars like some buy art.

They don't drive them - they buy and sell (flip) them.

The game is trying to figure out where the market is going.

Good to "hear" from ya! :happy feet:

Hey, Jim! Where ya been? :hysterical2:

I'm talking about people who buy cars like some buy art.

They don't drive them - they buy and sell (flip) them.

The game is trying to figure out where the market is going.

Good to "hear" from ya! :happy feet:

I've been slaving over my lap top writing my 6 month performance reviews. I have 15 to write but I'm almost done. Took a little sanity break to post.

I've never been a fan of buying a car as an investment or to try and make money. I get my enjoyment by driving them.

I've been tempted to use the Visa card to buy a blower. Then I thought, why? I'm not going to race the car every week. With a blower - no one around here will even engage me. It would only be good for popping the hood at car shows and showing it off.

Hmmmmmm, where have I read of people doing that????? :headspin:

Pipe down, Drag Racing Boy!! :hysterical2:

You know I drive mine every day! And you know I have blower envy!

I'm so glad y'all had a big time in Dearborn.

And I'm glad no one got locked up. :happy feet:

I was talking to Fred at Evolution the other day and he was telling me I should get the Saleen set up. I'd love to get one but just can't justify spending 6k on one right at the moment. I'd rather use that for purchasing my new C6 :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Archived