TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT as daily driver??

MinMan3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi you all, I just picked up my white SGT last Friday, I traded my 07 GT Premium I had since July. I went in for an oil change on my GT and came out with an 07 SGT. My friends and even the dealership personel told me that I should keep my SGT in the garage and not modify anything on this car, so as to maintain the Shelby integrity and ensure the resale value on this car later down the line. I have around 150 miles on it now. I plan to use it as a daily driver, this car is so much funner to drive than my GT I had, my GT had a few mods, but in the end, it would never have been a SHELBY. I have owned 5 previous Mustangs, and by far this SGT has been the coolest, funnest car to drive and call mine. I would recommend this car to anyone out there that loves Mustangs. So as a daily driver I most certainly am going to drive my SGT every day and my smile will be from ear to ear.

When I first looked at my SGT, I never imagined doing anything other than driving the car. I understood that the car was "special," although financially, I could not have afforded spending $40k+ on a car that would have not been a driver (I'm 22).

After a few car shows, and the typical remarks of, "OMG, you drive your Shelby? Shame on you!", I parked the SGT for a few months.. :banghead: I was letting the car rot away in the garage, while the warranty was being wasted.. I was also making payments for a garage queen... :finger:

So... I have now decided, and nobody at ANY car show will try to tell me otherwise, that my car IS my DAILY DRIVER, rain or shine..

I am meticulous when it comes to detailing cars.. I am obsessive about any car I take care of/drive..

I say drive it.. WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THE CAR WILL BRING 30 YEARS FROM NOW WHEN IT ROLLS THROUGH AN AUCTION???

If you want to invest your money, buy some stocks or mutual funds... :headspin:

701 is driven daily in all conditions, and detailed every Sunday afternnoon. Been driving it since I traded my 07 Vette for it back in May.

Near 9000 miles now, most miles at less than 30 MPH in rush hour traffic, 2.5 miles at 130 at Talladega. :shift:

611474048_fe7d8238b8.jpg

611474142_8b48b61044.jpg

Update on the daily driver.Guess what I got caught in yesterday?A freakin' hail storm!!!!!!Weatherman said last nice day for a while so I decided to drive it to work one last time before resorting to my daily turd.The weather started getting rough,The SGT was almost tossed,Sung to the tune of"Gilligans Island".Before I knew it quarter size hail was falling on my car,Raining so hard I couldn't see three feet in front of the car,I luckily kept driving till I pulled over under a bridge.Waited for the hail to stop,The whole time thinking that this is definately never going to be the same car!Drove it almost all the way home to a gas station with bright lights wondering how much damage had happened to my baby.Guess what,Not a single mark on it!And believe me I looked it over real good!Was I lucky or what.This just goes to prove that even God likes my kick ass car!

When I first looked at my SGT, I never imagined doing anything other than driving the car. I understood that the car was "special," although financially, I could not have afforded spending $40k+ on a car that would have not been a driver (I'm 22).

After a few car shows, and the typical remarks of, "OMG, you drive your Shelby? Shame on you!", I parked the SGT for a few months.. :banghead: I was letting the car rot away in the garage, while the warranty was being wasted.. I was also making payments for a garage queen... :finger:

So... I have now decided, and nobody at ANY car show will try to tell me otherwise, that my car IS my DAILY DRIVER, rain or shine..

I am meticulous when it comes to detailing cars.. I am obsessive about any car I take care of/drive..

I say drive it.. WHO CARES ABOUT WHAT THE CAR WILL BRING 30 YEARS FROM NOW WHEN IT ROLLS THROUGH AN AUCTION???

If you want to invest your money, buy some stocks or mutual funds... :headspin:

I agree 100% 7800 miles on #651.

I've put 9600 miles on SGT 507 since Feb. 28th as a daily driver. Loved every minute of it. I've never had an issue with it, even in rain as long as I make sure TCS is on. Don't have to worry about putting it up for the winter here in Austin, TX.

Not only is mine a daily driver--most of the time it is accessorized with two kids car seats in the back...one that is hot pink and embroidered "Very Important Princess."

My 7 year old and 4 year old daughters like riding in it...but we do have a family truckster that we use for big trips, etc.

Been driving it 8 months, and still get just as many looks as I did day 1...I've found that is one of my favorite things about owning this car.

Only downside that I have found to having this car as a daily driver is if you like to sneak around and not be noticed.

At least once a week either I, or my wife get a call from someone we know saying "Were you out driving around "XYZ" area today around 2? I'm sure I saw your car!"

New to Ford, Shelby and this forum.

I drove the GT after I drove the SGT...Big mistake!

I drive my 07SGT5123 all the time and love every minute of it. I'm a Mopar guy on the list for a new Challenger. Decided to wait for the bugs and ADM to go away and loved the look of the Stang since '05. Totally happy with my choice.

Thanks for listening.

Dan

New to Ford, Shelby and this forum.

I drove the GT after I drove the SGT...Big mistake!

I drive my 07SGT5123 all the time and love every minute of it. I'm a Mopar guy on the list for a new Challenger. Decided to wait for the bugs and ADM to go away and loved the look of the Stang since '05. Totally happy with my choice.

Thanks for listening.

Dan

+1!

My question is ... Is it a realistic choice for a "daily" driver?

Going from a Sedan DD (fast or not) to a SGT DD, you might not like it. The SGT will be a HARSH ride in comparison - like the Jeep but with less bounce - so if possible you might want to set drive.

With that being said, you will get used to it and it doesn't bounce a lot at 120 mph. :yup:

Well part of enjoying my SGT, is knowing I am going to drive it daily. I started on my 68 coupe restoration, just really to have a fun daily driver. $18K later I am scared to drive it much, in fact I have 3500 miles on it 5 years. When I bought the new 08 SGT, I made the decision I will drive it to enjoy it. Just my opinion.

Going from a Sedan DD (fast or not) to a SGT DD, you might not like it. The SGT will be a HARSH ride in comparison - like the Jeep but with less bounce - so if possible you might want to set drive.

With that being said, you will get used to it and it doesn't bounce a lot at 120 mph. :yup:

It doesn't bounce alot at 150 eithier................... :headspin:

Well, it's bumpier than some (eg base corvette), but less so than others (eg S2000, Boxster) - it's far from "cushy," but it's not punishing, either. "Firm" or "very firm" is a good way to describe. But as others have noted, it's tradeoff in terms of body roll & cornering ability. This is one mustang that feels like a real sports car, despite its size. You have to factor in the "fun" component, too, ie, exhaust & engine note, fun interior features, & "way-cool" unique look!

Let me say this I have 2,360 miles on my Shelby and I had it since May 16, 2007. I know this seems weird but I not going to think about bring the Shelby out unless it is 50 degrease. Now I have 18,000 miles on my 2005 mustang GT. The numbers would be higher on the 05 if I did not start to car pool with my wife. Neither one of my cars are daily drivers. Off topic she has an 2001 dodge caravan with 120,000.

Let me say this I have 2,360 miles on my Shelby and I had it since May 16, 2007. I know this seems weird but I not going to think about bring the Shelby out unless it is 50 degrease. Now I have 18,000 miles on my 2005 mustang GT. The numbers would be higher on the 05 if I did not start to car pool with my wife. Neither one of my cars are daily drivers. Off topic she has an 2001 dodge caravan with 120,000.

damn! where do you people go??? i had my car 3 months and only have 1500 miles. mostly from drivin to work and back. i bet u fill ur tanks twice a week :burnout:

Archived