TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT as daily driver??

MinMan3

Greetings!!

First Post in these fora ...

I am planning to get a 2008 Mustang GT convertible later this year. Currently drive a Jaguar S-Type R -- one of the world's fastest sedans and I LOVE IT!! But, I have also always loved convertibles and feel it's about time to get some open air enjoyment back into my life. (I would have considered a new Jaguar XKR ... but don't happen to have the requisite $100k lying around!!) And, we need a 4-seater so ...

Looks like the Mustang GT gives me the most "bang for the buck" that I can find.

I am strongly considering one of the recently announced Shelby GT convertibles. Love the Vista Blue color and it seems like a good compromise between performance and cost. However, I would be using this car as my almost daily driver (we have a Jeep for REALLY bad weather).

My question is ... Is it a realistic choice for a "daily" driver?

My concern -- perhaps the only downside to our Jaguar is that it tends to sit inside the garage. It's not a museum piece, but I sometimes find myself worrying so much about pot holes or dummies talking on their phones that I choose the Jeep instead. A lot of money tied up in that car, and repairs/maintenance can get pricey (for example, the Brembo rotors are a dealer-only item and retail for around $400 EACH - parts only!!) But, I don't really want to do that with our next car. I want a high performance car that I feel comfortable driving every day. Yes, I know that the idiots will be out there no matter what I drive, but when you consider all facets (maintenance, possible minor damage repair, etc.) is the Shelby GT a reasonable choice?

(For example ... I would probably not drive a Cobra all that much ... once again it wold be too much money tied up in a car. Same kind of "feeling" that I have with the Jaguar.)

FYI - I would probably order the Shelby Mustang GT with as nice a factory interior as I can get (interior upgrade, heated seats, etc.), DVD Nav, Auto (my preference, and my wife's only choice), etc. I like everything I have seen in the package except perhaps for the hood pins. Something about those I just don't like. I wonder ... can they be deleted?

(If I go with a "plain" GT, it would probably be a CS and similarly "loaded".)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ken

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greetings!!

I am planning to get a 2008 Mustang GT convertible later this year. Currently drive a Jaguar S-Type R -- one of the world's fastest sedans and I LOVE IT!! But, I have also always loved convertibles and feel it's about time to get some open air enjoyment back into my life. (I would have considered a new Jaguar XKR ... but don't happen to have the requisite $100k lying around!!) And, we need a 4-seater so ...

Looks like the Mustang GT gives me the most "bang for the buck" that I can find.

I am strongly considering one of the recently announced Shelby GT convertibles. Love the Vista Blue color and it seems like a good compromise between performance and cost. However, I would be using this car as my almost daily driver (we have a Jeep for REALLY bad weather).

My concern -- perhaps the only downside to our Jaguar is that it tends to sit inside the garage. It's not a museum piece, but I sometimes find myself worrying so much about pot holes or dummies talking on their phones that I choose the Jeep instead. A lot of money tied up in that car, and repairs/maintenance can get pricey (for example, the Brembo rotors are a dealer-only item and retail for around $400 EACH - parts only!!) But, I don't really want to do that with our next car. I want a high performance car that I feel comfortable driving every day. Yes, I know that the idiots will be out there no matter what I drive, but when you consider all facets (maintenance, possible minor damage repair, etc.) is the Shelby GT a reasonable choice?

(For example ... I would probably not drive a Cobra all that much ... once again it wold be too much money tied up in a car. Same kind of "feeling" that I have with the Jaguar.)

FYI - I would probably order the Shelby Mustang GT with as nice a factory interior as I can get (interior upgrade, heated seats, etc.), DVD Nav, Auto (my preference, and my wife's only choice), etc. I like everything I have seen in the package except perhaps for the hood pins. Something about those I just don't like. I wonder ... can they be deleted?

Ken

If you JUST want a daily driver and no worries, go with a standard GT. If you select the Shelby GT, you are already looking at a car that will attract attention, and more so in a Shelby GT500. So for no worries, a great price and a fun car with good HP, the stadard GT is my opinion!

There are many people who are using the Shelby GT as a daily driver. It is a very good performance car for the money. If you want something that is going to give you fun and a little attention it would be good.

On the other hand, is a bit rough riding. The FRPP suspension makes the car handle wonderfully but it was designed for smooth race tracks. Also, I agree with dans500, you could build the same performing car if not a bit better for less money. The performace pieces are nothing more than the FR1 power pack and FR Handling pack that can be had on any Mustang. Especially considering promotions on 2007s right now and that there will only be about 1400-1500 convertible 2008 Shelby GTs. Also, the DVD-Nav is not available on the 2008 Shelby GT.

Check in at the shelbyautos forums. There are alot of people their that will give you more opinions.

Staff, sorry.

As a proud and biased Shelby GT owner, I have to say go for the SGT. I think that after buying the Mustang GT, you'll keep regretting having not gone that little extra for the SGT. As mentioned, many have them as daily drivers. Others also have the same additions like charge motion plates, CAI tubes, underdrive pulleys, retunes and so forth. And, if you get a supercharger you can take it up to nearly 500 HP. My car will be 600 HP (+/-) as my dealer is going to add more after Shelby.

If you own a Jag, you like nice cars and the feeling of driving a great car. Since you've been a member of this forum since January, stop kidding yourself - YOU WANT A SHELBY!!!

Thanks very much!! I appreciate your time and consideration.

To assist in perhaps firming up this decision, my local dealer happens to have a 07 Shelby GT coupe with AT that I'm scheduled to take on a brief test drive. I want to see about the "ride" and how it works with the AT. I have driven the "regular" GT and the performance is fine.

More later, I suspect ...

Cheers!!

Ken

....keep in mind during your test drive that the Shelby GT has a 3.55 in both the automatic and the manual. By your signature you are already considering a 2008 Mustang GT. I think the 3.55 is an option for the 2007 manual but I don't know about the automatic or the 2008s.

Greetings!!

Ken

As a Shelby GT owner, I would not recommend the Shelby GT for a daily driver. The Ford Racing suspension that is on the car would make daily driving, especially with family, uncomfortable and annoying. Also, as another poster stated, the Shelby GT attracts a lot of attention. I would go with a normal GT, fully loaded, maybe with the CS option package, and then you could add any additional performance parts to the car that you would like.

As a Shelby GT owner, I would not recommend the Shelby GT for a daily driver. The Ford Racing suspension that is on the car would make daily driving, especially with family, uncomfortable and annoying. Also, as another poster stated, the Shelby GT attracts a lot of attention. I would go with a normal GT, fully loaded, maybe with the CS option package, and then you could add any additional performance parts to the car that you would like.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. After a nice drive today (hehehe - first stop was a gas station as the trip computer was reading "2 miles to empty"!!), made up my mind ... we'll get a GT. ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the Shelby, but the ride was just too rough for the roads I routinely drive on. Luckily the dealer has relocated right out to my end of town, so I was able to drive on several roads that I drive every day. The "sound" was great!!

The dealer is searching for an automatic 'vert with NAV (my two major "gotta haves") and we'll see what he comes up with. If nothing is reasonable, I'll be placing an oder!! I may well add the Ford Racing intake and exhaust package as it looks like a nice boost for the $$$

Thanks again!!

Ken

I concur! Buy a GT and design it Your Way!

ruf

post-4913-1187487731.jpg

post-4913-1187487731.jpg

I DROVE MY 66 GT350 6S1908 EVERY DAY AND LOVED IT. NO A/C AND SOLID LIFTERS. WHAT A DREAM IT WAS.

BILL

I drive mine everyday and could not be happier. :stop: But then again, i don't have small kids and such and the wife has the grocery getter / haul to high school vehicle. The SGT is a performance vehicle so you would not be happy with it as a DD. :shift:

This is a great topic, I thought about getting a regular Gt vert, a cs vert and a Gt for my daily driver and bought the SGT. I have a 5 year old. I drive it almost every day except when I need my Scout for hauling things. Seattle streets are the worst. I think if you have driven lowered cars before and do not mind the fun you can have in this car its perfect for daily driving. The TCS is great in the rain on hilly streets. Of course it all depends what you are used to. What your parking situation at work is etc...Its all relevant, to me its a perfect daily driver. I would also not have another new black car that I wanted to keep nice. Mines white and its got a lot of wax on the paint. #471 will have alot of miles put on it before I'm done. Besides commuting could not be funner!!

I had the 2006 GT..........daily driving.........and then switched to the SGT automatic......(cause thats the only one that was on the lot)..

drive it daily.........n love it........and even after getting home n looking at it in the driveway...gotta jump in it n go for a drive...it's fun for sure

n yeah...it does attract notice...........

:)

I drive my SGT every day. I take my 20 month old to an in house day care everyday. She loves it, I love it. My wife complains of the bumpy ride wherever we go, especially when we go on long trips. I hadn't drove a car with this type of suspension before but new it would be tight. I love it. The responsiveness of the car along with the overall balance just kicks aXX. The perfect DD for me!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My question is...is it a realistic choice as a "daily" driver?

Sure hope so. That's how I'm planning to use mine or at least an "almost" daily driver. First time poster here. Just brought it home last Friday

P1000780.jpg

I'm pumped :happy feet:

Coming from a 4x4 Tundra it's quite a change. But the looks, the sound and that sweet hurst shifter...why not a daily driver. Now if I can just get used to 3" of ground clearance instead of 11. My biggest problem so far has been 6" curbs :banghead:

Jim

Sure hope so. That's how I'm planning to use mine or at least an "almost" daily driver. First time poster here. Just brought it home last Friday

P1000780.jpg

Coming from a 4x4 Tundra it's quite a change. But the looks, the sound and that sweet hurst shifter...why not a daily driver. Now if I can just get used to 3" of ground clearance instead of 11. My biggest problem so far has been 6" curbs :banghead:

Jim

Welcome Jim.

Nice lookin ride.

I hope the Curbs did not damage your car. :cry:

Welcome Jim.

Nice lookin ride.

I hope the Curbs did not damage your car. :cry:

Car's good and thanks for the welcomes Grabber and Ruf. Great lookin' rides, both of you.

Enjoy

Jim

P1000780.jpg

Jim

That is one sweet looking ride you have there Jim. :happy feet:

PP - has anyone explained the 10 Post Rule here? :happy feet:

No man, let me have it. I'm outta here in the morning for a week in Maine so...back atcha in a week.

Enjoy

Jim

After your 10th post - the gloves come off :hysterical2:

Then - you're fair game.

Safe trip to the LL Bean State!

Oh God No!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical2:

I spend way too much time on AdvRider site (BMW crazies) so I think I'm used to the rough stuff but hopefully you'll go easy on this nooby :redcard: But I do appreciate the warning.

Have a good week

Jim

Archived