TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR - by Shelby?

I found this dialog on the GT500KR possibilities over at Shelby Autos forum.... most interesting. The context 2007 as a 2008 Shelby GT500KR model. From prior posts, it appears that Amy B. is a legit Shelby Autos spokesperson, so this would seem to be very real. Here's the forum thread and link WORDS IN [] BELOW ARE MINE. This is great news!!!! :

[from Amy B:] "Lots of new stuff coming from Shelby Autos. We finished our first Hertz cars, and it couldn't have gone better. Hang in there."

[from forum participant Venomsnake:] "I will!! It'll give me until next year too save for my real Carroll Shelby influenced GT500KR,...not something from svt,..only using his name! I know if carroll and you guys Amy do it,...it'll be one very sexy hott,mean lookin' shelby(like the old days) and in the registry,...YESSssss!!"

[Amy B response:] "It will be all that and more, but don't diss SVt, they do wonderful stuff, it's hard to create and be creative in such a big company. The GT500 is a very cool and sexy car and SVT should be proud. All the guys at Ford are terrific, without them, we wouldn't have had the Hertz deal.

Amy"

[sounds like a done deal, doesn't it? !!!]

Shelby Autos Forum

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That really doesn't mean too much!! The world is full of rumors and promises that never come true! Its too far off too really get excited about this so called propostional news! Alot can transpire,between now and then! Heck the way the gas prices are,and times being turbulent,it would be nothing for a manufacturer too pull the plug on gas comsuming vehicles like these,....anything is possible,at this stage!

That really doesn't mean too much!! The world is full of rumors and promises that never come true! Its too far off too really get excited about this so called propostional news! Alot can transpire,between now and then! Heck the way the gas prices are,and times being turbulent,it would be nothing for a manufacturer too pull the plug on gas comsuming vehicles like these,....anything is possible,at this stage!

Yeah, I guess you're right. But, maybe that adds cred to why they might do it as a real Shelby. The 500KR would certainly be substantially higher priced and MUCH lower volume than the GT500 both of which make it a much better fit with a Shelby-issued approach. I don't think even $5/gal gas would stop a Shelby lover/collector from buying one AND it would get it out the door regardless of political pressures that might make Ford pull back (like $5 gas) -- of course the MSRP could be 80-90K which would sort of make the point moot for many of us anyway. Also, if you recall the Ford/Shelby rift was over Ford doing the '68 Shelby and specifically the gt500KR (as opposed to the 67 Shelbys which were actually produced by Shelby). This would be the ultimate kiss-and-make-up gesture... to give the 500KR chit to Shelby as Ford did with the GT500H (just like 40 years ago). I'm sure Carroll Shelby will never forget that Ford pulled that market out from under him in '68... it launched a very bitter divorce that lasted until the 'foreplay' for the FordGT and GR-1 prototypes... all carefully orchestrated moves, in my opinion, to close that rift -- Ford wanted access to the Shelby name again and has been working on making that right with Carroll for the better part of a decade now.

Anyhow, that's how it seems to me, but who knows -- two years from now the world could be very diff as you point out -- I think this second golden-age of hi-po we're seeing now might only last another 5-10 years -- who knows ;-)

Yeah, I guess you're right. But, maybe that adds cred to why they might do it as a real Shelby. The 500KR would certainly be substantially higher priced and MUCH lower volume than the GT500 both of which make it a much better fit with a Shelby-issued approach. I don't think even $5/gal gas would stop a Shelby lover/collector from buying one AND it would get it out the door regardless of political pressures that might make Ford pull back (like $5 gas) -- of course the MSRP could be 80-90K which would sort of make the point moot for many of us anyway. Also, if you recall the Ford/Shelby rift was over Ford doing the '68 Shelby and specifically the gt500KR (as opposed to the 67 Shelbys which were actually produced by Shelby). This would be the ultimate kiss-and-make-up gesture... to give the 500KR chit to Shelby as Ford did with the GT500H (just like 40 years ago). I'm sure Carroll Shelby will never forget that Ford pulled that market out from under him in '68... it launched a very bitter divorce that lasted until the 'foreplay' for the FordGT and GR-1 prototypes... all carefully orchestrated moves, in my opinion, to close that rift -- Ford wanted access to the Shelby name again and has been working on making that right with Carroll for the better part of a decade now.

Anyhow, that's how it seems to me, but who knows -- two years from now the world could be very diff as you point out -- I think this second golden-age of hi-po we're seeing now might only last another 5-10 years -- who knows ;-)

Hey,its nice to Dream though,...and I sure hope your right!!! I also got a funny feeling that a new liberal goverment coming to office can and will put very strict penalties and restrictions on all our auto manufacturers on our beloved cars!! :rant:

Hey,its nice to Dream though,...and I sure hope your right!!! I also got a funny feeling that a new liberal goverment coming to office can and will put very strict penalties and restrictions on all our auto manufacturers on our beloved cars!! :rant:

Yeah, I know SEMA has been making a lot of progress lobying in many states to liberalize big-HP rods and rebuilds over 25 years old, but I think you are right that new car restrictions will tighten and more quickly in the future especially dependent on who's in charge ;-)

Who'd 'a' thunk this second golden-age could ever be getting this good. I started getting queezy once they started fitting air-pumps blowing into the exhaust headers in 1968. It took the government six years to figure that the US auto makers were meeting emisssions, measured at the tailpipe back then, by simply blowing clean air into the exhaust. All the mumbo-jumbo about reburning in the headers turned out to be bogus. Then when the restrictions tightened up more in 1974, I started really feeling sick about the future of hi-po autos. 429/460s Fords and 454GMs putting out all of 195HP instead of 400+. Japan proactively targeting our auto industry while we were reeling from our own self-inflicted legislation forcing us into trying to make big V8s as efficient as little I-4s without any usefull microchip technology existing yet to draw upon. The, lo and behold, adapt or die we slowly see the light and slowly figure out how to make cleaner vehicles that are efficient and, lo and behold, clean and effieient turn out to be two sides of the same coin!

Here we are today with fairly affordable 525HP sweet clean computer-controlled machines some of which are producing so little polution, the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air that went in the intake in most cities over 100,000 pop -- no kidding!!! (ULEV-II and PZEV). Buildings actually now produce over twice the annual polution compared to all autos in America but it will probably take another 10 years before the media, still fixated on the auto as the villian, catches up with that reality). We can only hope this second golden age lasts long enough so we can all own a GT500 and die with well-deserved smiles on our faces. ;-)

Yeah, I know SEMA has been making a lot of progress lobying in many states to liberalize big-HP rods and rebuilds over 25 years old, but I think you are right that new car restrictions will tighten and more quickly in the future especially dependent on who's in charge ;-)

Who'd 'a' thunk this second golden-age could ever be getting this good. I started getting queezy once they started fitting air-pumps blowing into the exhaust headers in 1968. It took the government six years to figure that the US auto makers were meeting emisssions, measured at the tailpipe back then, by simply blowing clean air into the exhaust. All the mumbo-jumbo about reburning in the headers turned out to be bogus. Then when the restrictions tightened up more in 1974, I started really feeling sick about the future of hi-po autos. 429/460s Fords and 454GMs putting out all of 195HP instead of 400+. Japan proactively targeting our auto industry while we were reeling from our own self-inflicted legislation forcing us into trying to make big V8s as efficient as little I-4s without any usefull microchip technology existing yet to draw upon. The, lo and behold, adapt or die we slowly see the light and slowly figure out how to make cleaner vehicles that are efficient and, lo and behold, clean and effieient turn out to be two sides of the same coin!

Here we are today with fairly affordable 525HP sweet clean computer-controlled machines some of which are producing so little polution, the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air that went in the intake in most cities over 100,000 pop -- no kidding!!! (ULEV-II and PZEV). Buildings actually now produce over twice the annual polution compared to all autos in America but it will probably take another 10 years before the media, still fixated on the auto as the villian, catches up with that reality). We can only hope this second golden age lasts long enough so we can all own a GT500 and die with well-deserved smiles on our faces. ;-)

Amen brother!!! That's why I say,we better get while the gettin' is good on these performance cars,....believe me nothing this good,..will last that long!

Amen brother!!! That's why I say,we better get while the gettin' is good on these performance cars,....believe me nothing this good,..will last that long!

For sure... now if we could only have 25-cent gas again (and some Amoco 101-octane pump gas @ 28 cents ;-)

Man,..those were the days,weren't they?!!! :)

Who knows... I can see 20 years down the road (if I can still afford to buy a car ;-) a small electric-hybrid sporty car with four 96HP DC electrics -- one at each wheelhub adding near 400HP on demand boost to supplement the modest straight-4 DOHC base motor that cruises at 60mpg! OK, when you drive it hard you're mileage will suck, but at least it would be pay-for-performance and on long 'family' trips it would sip the vapors ;-) But I still want my GT500!!! ;-)

GT500KR=650+ hp aluminum s/c'd 5.4l with extensive tunes.Carbon Fiber body panels and bumpers,inserts of it in the seats,aluminum frame. $67,599 starting price. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Mmmm, mmmm sounds delisciously right to me ;-)

fyi... I just saw a posting over at Shelby Autos by Amy B, one of the Shelby spokespersons saying that they own the rights to all the GTnnnxx minikers and license them to Ford. She specifically called out the GT500KR too ;-)

Mmmm, mmmm sounds delisciously right to me ;-)

fyi... I just saw a posting over at Shelby Autos by Amy B, one of the Shelby spokespersons saying that they own the rights to all the GTnnnxx minikers and license them to Ford. She specifically called out the GT500KR too ;-)

In fact, here's the post:

As an FYI, Carroll Shelby owns and manages all the marks.

Amy I was under the impression that GT350, GT500, and Cobra became the property of Ford when they took over production with the 1968 models.

Hi Robin, Carroll owns GT350 all derivatives like "R" "H", he also own GT 500 and GT%))KR, he shares the cobra with ford. Caroll owns vintage, Ford owns modern. The new GT500 from ford is built under license by Carroll Shelby. This was not a label slap as some suspect. Carroll and Shelby Licensing was involved thru out the process.

Amy

Personally I think Shelby American will do a KR version of the GT500. It will be a nasty car and be lighter that the stock GT500 the ride height will be adjusted to give a mean look and help with the handling. The Hertz cars are a warm up to get all the stuff rolling. The SA folks are pretty tight lipped about things going on I like others see a GT350 coming along in the 2008 year. Maybe after the GT500 hits the market SA will start dropping parts out to the market to modify the GT500 with rims are just a start. I think a hood kit with the locking pins will probably be out soon after cars are on the streets.

Personally I think Shelby American will do a KR version of the GT500. It will be a nasty car and be lighter that the stock GT500 the ride height will be adjusted to give a mean look and help with the handling. The Hertz cars are a warm up to get all the stuff rolling. The SA folks are pretty tight lipped about things going on I like others see a GT350 coming along in the 2008 year. Maybe after the GT500 hits the market SA will start dropping parts out to the market to modify the GT500 with rims are just a start. I think a hood kit with the locking pins will probably be out soon after cars are on the streets.

Hey, kb67, I think you are right on it. The GT500H it seems to me is exactly as you say.. a warmup for more, likely the GT500KR which a Shelby American spokesperson has indicated they (Shelby) will do and not Ford (note by Amy B. about 12-15 posts above). Now, I'm just thinking out loud, but if our Shelby American friends just finished polishing off the mods on the GT500Hs (though, admitedly, these mods are trivial compared to what a GT500KR would likely demand), what are those employees doing right now as you read this???? I'm sure they didn't send them home, and they're certainly not working on Shelby Cobras and the other classics (those 40-odd folks work on them at the Las Vegas facility all year, every year). That would seem to say to me that when the GT500s start shipping from Ford in the next several weeks, some pecentage of that production will have to ship to Shelby (somewhere -- don't know where the GT500H was actually mod'd -- likely on the grounds of a major Ford facility in an adjoining building) so they can get started doing magic for next year. Else, what are those folks doing right now???? This is very puzzling and makes me feel there's much more going on here than meets the eye. The Shelby spokesperson has said that there's much more coming from Shelby in the not too distant future. Is there something between now and the GT500KR? Are they putting the GT500H folks, now that all of those are built and shipped, onto just the Shelby v6 mustang? Something's missing is this equation, but one thing is for sure -- he didn't send them home, and 1000 cars weren't modified by a few people in a few weeks. So somewhere there's either a bunch of Shelby folks drinking coffee or they're woking hot and heavy on something that has been kept a very good secret ;-) Or.... the GT500H was built entirely by Ford and Shelby folks supplied the hoods and hood latches and just blessed them as they came off the Ford line. Something's fishy here.... I've been a strategist for a fortune 500 company for many years and this does not add up if you catch my drift.

Hmmm.... inquiring minds want to know, yes?

I thought SA was doing about 500 cars as the GT350H, maybe I'm wrong on that. SA has some pictures on their site of the cars awaiting mods looks like they have the space to hold a few cars in while working on them.

My humble guess is SA would have a GT500 in their hands now working on it to decide what mods they think

give the best performance. I could see them doing the KRs in 2008 on a limited production run of maybe 300 to 500 cars out of the 2008 GT500s with all the SA touches that gives the diehards a true SA product and the exclusiveness some folks are after.

The market has Saleen, Roush, Steeda along with other folks doing stuff. SA was the first and have the biggest name in the game so to speak so if they want to do it I'm sure they can and make it really kick a** :D

I was mistaken on the name they are calling it the Gt - H but its to mirror what the GT350H was the page

at SA's website gives the specs on the motor adds. Its not a GT500 setup its a 4.6L with FRRP addons.

Heres their page its near the bottom they say whats being added to the car

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/gt-h.asp

Ok, I wasn't aware of that... thanks...

• 1 month later...

I was mistaken on the name they are calling it the Gt - H but its to mirror what the GT350H was the page

at SA's website gives the specs on the motor adds. Its not a GT500 setup its a 4.6L with FRRP addons.

Heres their page its near the bottom they say whats being added to the car

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/gt-h.asp

KB67, al I can find at that site is the GT-H... the original was called the GT350H, but the current Hertz Shelby is just GT-H. As you say it is built on the 4.6 GT 3V motor but with an FRPP Power Pack and handling pack-3. I believe the last of the 500 or so ship to Hertz this/next week.

KB67, al I can find at that site is the GT-H... the original was called the GT350H, but the current Hertz Shelby is just GT-H. As you say it is built on the 4.6 GT 3V motor but with an FRPP Power Pack and handling pack-3. I believe the last of the 500 or so ship to Hertz this/next week.

If thats the case SA might start revealing some of the other things they have been working on. I've read on their forums that things for the GT500 where in the pipline. I'd like to see what they have available for this new car. Also would be kinda cool to hear what kind of things they may do with a KR version.

If thats the case SA might start revealing some of the other things they have been working on. I've read on their forums that things for the GT500 where in the pipline. I'd like to see what they have available for this new car. Also would be kinda cool to hear what kind of things they may do with a KR version.

Yeah, for sure... I've tried to get Amy B to give up some tidbits on if they'll do a CS8 on the GT (analygous to the CS6 on the base 'stang) but can't get them to say anything outside of there's a lot more coming and be patient... :)

Aside from a KR (which would have to be on a GT500 base) I'm thinking that the GT-H mods, which include some very nice spring/shock/suspension improvements and the 'roomy' hood, would be nice pieces for a CS8 version based on the GT, which could be considerably lighter than the GT500, but limited to around 450HP or so on the aluminum GT 3V. But I've seen beefed-up GTs (forged pistins/rods, etc) with blowers making big HP reliably. In a 3500-3600lb Shelby 'CS8' with improved weight distrib, that would be killer!

Aside from a KR (which would have to be on a GT500 base) I'm thinking that the GT-H mods, which include some very nice spring/shock/suspension improvements and the 'roomy' hood, would be nice pieces for a CS8 version based on the GT, which could be considerably lighter than the GT500, but limited to around 450HP or so on the aluminum GT 3V. But I've seen beefed-up GTs (forged pistins/rods, etc) with blowers making big HP reliably. In a 3500-3600lb Shelby 'CS8' with improved weight distrib, that would be killer!

Something like you describe might have stolen some of the thunder away from the GT500. :D Considering it would have been a SA creation meaning to some a true shelby mustang. That might have caused some people to go with it versus the GT500. Might be why they keep saying "there's a lot more coming and be patient... "

Because it seemed to me SA was ramping up for making the CS6 cars but then stepped back alittle. Just speculating though :D will be fun to see what comes out.

Something like you describe might have stolen some of the thunder away from the GT500. :D Considering it would have been a SA creation meaning to some a true shelby mustang. That might have caused some people to go with it versus the GT500. Might be why they keep saying "there's a lot more coming and be patient... "

Because it seemed to me SA was ramping up for making the CS6 cars but then stepped back alittle. Just speculating though :D will be fun to see what comes out.

Funny you should say that, because i thought it odd that last November when I was out at Shelby Las Vegas they were taking orders on turnkey CS6s and here we are 8 months later and they are just starting production on the CS6 "kits" with no commitment to do any turnkey CS6s themselves. SA has said that they will ramp up the CS6 kits as soon as the GT-H ramps down (which should have completed this past week). So, if they are only packaging CS6 kits, what else are they actually doing with all the folks who were doing the actual GT-Hs??? They must be getting ready to start on some of that "much more coming" stuff :)

Hmmm.... and they've been uncharacterstically quiet for the past four weeks or so -- no one has been able to get them to talk on anything of substance. I'd bet they're getting close to some announcement -- I noticed that they cancelled their factory tour for this week and the museum is closed too (which could just be vacations). I gues we will find out eventually!

Amy from Shelby Auto has given some pretty good hints there WILL be a KR next year & its going to be done by Shelby and not Ford. I would suspect not the same engine as '07 but you never know.

Anyone else notice in SVT's advertisement with the 3 shelby's showing a 67, 68 & a 70 that the one they say is a 68 is actually a 67? Looked at it many times and just never caught it until today. The one they show as 67 is an inboard headlight 67 and the one they say is a 68 is actually an outboard headlight 67 not a 68

Best part is the '07 front very closely resembles the 68 and then they goof on the pic. Think its pretty funny & wonder how many if any ford people caught the mistake?

the 68 was more of a pony show when they came out with the KR as the 67 500 would kick its but any day of the week. Of course the dual 4's did not hurt on the 67 500's

Yeah, I'm the one who posted the Amy B quotes originally... then they quickly disappeared from the SA forum. Given the history of Shelby-Ford, I feel fairly certain that if a KR is done, it will be done by Shelby, even if that means a special Ford build that Shelby does some basic rework to. Las Vegas isn't equipped to do any serious mods. Can't wait to see what's cooked up!

I was aware of the '67 narrow-wide (early-late) lights but I thought the first part of '68 production was done by Shelby until Ford pulled the rug out from under them with their own '68 (which created the Shelby-Ford 'rift'). But, if I recall correctly, in the Shelby museum (Las Vegas museum) they show only one '67 (narrow) and one '68, and they do mention that the '68 on display is by Ford, so I'm not sure.

What I suspect happened (but I don't know for sure) is that Shelby carried over the '67 run into early '68 because Ford was on strike for about 5 months (my order for a '67 GT fastback shipped nearly 8 months later as a '68) So the early '68 true Shelbys are likely early '68 mustang stock with '67 Shelby skin, since all the body panels not altered by Shelby are essentially identical across both years. Then when production restarted, Ford did their own with the 428s in them. That would also explain the ad you saw. I suspect the early Shelby '68s are a very small number whereas the Ford '68s are the vast majority of 'Shelby' production that year and all the Fords have the new ('68) skin. Again, I don't know this for sure but it does make sense.

Amy from Shelby Auto has given some pretty good hints there WILL be a KR next year & its going to be done by Shelby and not Ford. I would suspect not the same engine as '07 but you never know.

I would make a humble guess that whatever is done will be off the base GT500 car as some other folks have stated here the car is heavy if you could elminate weight it would be a good thing to help with performance and handling. I'd like to think SVT wanted to put a alumnium blocked motor in this car but couldn't because of cost.To me thats what shelbys represent good performance and handling. Shelby tweaked the mustang to get the most out of it.

You might see things like a battery relocation, some styling changes and tweaks to the car with the Ford Racing performance packs. If Shelby gets the car to perform better than the general version its a win for him and Ford. They build on there performance parts sales Shelby gets more interest in what he is offering up to the mustang marketplace and the mustang stays in the limelight. With competition from Dodge and Chevy coming Ford needs all the buzz they can generate.

I would make a humble guess that whatever is done will be off the base GT500 car as some other folks have stated here the car is heavy if you could elminate weight it would be a good thing to help with performance and handling. I'd like to think SVT wanted to put a alumnium blocked motor in this car but couldn't because of cost.

Careful about mentioning the cars spare tire. :hysterical: Apparently some folks around here are a little sensitive when you start to talk about out of shape and a little heavy. :devil: This is a quote from Coletti B4 he was "retired". "

"You don't actually think we'd build an all-new engine just to put it in one car, do you?" That was an incredulous Ford Special Vehicle Team boss John Coletti in response to our asking where else we could expect to see this monster modular motor appear over the next few years. Strengthening the theory that the GT's new 5.4L V-8 will soon find its way into other Ford products is the fact that it was mandated to pass the same battery of tests as any other production engine built by Ford, from the most mundane four-banger minivan engine to a grunting dump-truck mill. For one, that meant surviving Ford's grueling 300-hour engine-durability testing procedure, where the engine is cycled by a dyno through the rpm range between its torque and horsepower peaks for 300 hours to simulate the wear and tear of about 150,000 miles of in-car use. The GT's engine development team is proud of the fact that the 5.4 passed the 300-hour durability test on only its third attempt (typically engines need five or six tries), even after the first two tests revealed a hidden crankshaft problem that had the design team scrambling to quickly find a solution. A process that usually would take months to resolve and had the potential to descend into a bureaucratic morass was reduced to days, as experts at Ford's Vee Engine Engineering and materials testing lab traced the problem to an undercut fillet on the crankshaft snout (see photos), the design team proposed a change to the crankshaft machining process, and the staff at Ford's Engine Manufacturing Development Operations (EMDO), where the GT's block, heads, and crank are machined prior to assembly, confirmed they could implement the change into the production process. The speed with which the problem was identified, corrected, and successfully retested is a testament not only to the high-level importance assigned to the GT program within Ford, but also to the enthusiasm shown by all levels of labor and management for the project." Recall that these people are for the most part GONE. Can't figure where all the extra cost came from all they had to do was add a oil pump mounting boss and pretty much done. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

You'd think if you where going to go with a car like the GT500 you would go all out and take no prisoners. I'd love to see a 5.4L alumnium blocked car on the streets. Like you stated Ford put alot into the testing of the motor its something that would help make the car perform better. I could see a regular GT500 with the motor in it now then a KR version thats a more racer type with a alumnium 5.4L not having power everything thats made to perform right out of the box. I'd also hope Ford would bring the GTR concept out and maybe a new Boss it would make things interesting :D Hopefully some of these things will materialize and make for some fun times.

I don't think an aluminum 5.4 wasn't used because the aluminum motirs are more expensive, just because they aren't as strong. Of course, if it were reengineered a bit with lightweight forged alum pistons and lightweight titanium alloy rods, an aluminum 5.4 could hold a lot of HP, but such a motor would be expensive for all the additional engineering needed to make it durable at high HP/torque.

Nevertheless, one reason I liked the '01 Cobra so much is because it's all aluminum and even in the old SN95 mustang design, has better weight distribution than the GT500 or even the present GT (by just a little). Which is unfortunate, since the present mustang is so much better engineered overall.

For sure we haven't seen the end of this motor. Crazy as it might sound, when Ford comes out with a modern front-engine/rear-drive family car (it's coming!) to replace all the panthers, that will be such a nice 'family' car to drop the GT500 motor in, which will already be around a couple of years by then. Kinda sounds like the '60s again! There's a lot of boomers out here who would scoff up such a sleeper family ride in a heartbeat!

Archived