TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Strong smell of raw gas

Sunday, my wife and I were taking the Shelby out for easy driver on some backcountry roads when we started to get a strong smell of raw gas when we would go around a turn or come to a stop. Could this be from the waste gate on the supercharger? Has anyone else had this problem?

There is no normal means for the gas to be anywhere near the supercharger. All the blower does is pump air. The fuel is injected directly into the intake manifold just upstream of the intake valves. If the smell is coming from your car (not always a guarantee) then you most likely have a leak in the fuel system, my guess is somewhere near the fuel tank and not in the pressurized part of the system. If the smell always occurs during a turn in one direction but not the other, you probably have an overflow problem. Does it occur just after you have filled the tank up? Perhaps it is at the gas tank filler neck / gas cap. Do you stop pumping the gas when the nozzle first clicks (you should) or do you or the attendant try to squeeze the last possible drop in? The gas is usually cold when you pump it, but expands quickly in this hot weather - that could be contributing to the problem. When the fuel leaves the gas tank it is under considerable pressure and is unlikely to be affected by cornering - a leak in a high pressure line will leak no matter what the car is doing. I'm betting the problem is near the gas tank and/or the tank vent system. Good luck and don't smoke.

Sunday, my wife and I were taking the Shelby out for easy driver on some backcountry roads when we started to get a strong smell of raw gas when we would go around a turn or come to a stop. Could this be from the waste gate on the supercharger? Has anyone else had this problem?

No, never heard of this.

There's you answers its got to be one of those. If you can't locate it by a close inspection or correct it by making sure your cap is tight, using a small butane torch and waving it over the fuel system components will help isolate the problem!!!

bottom line until u find the problem dont drive the car and disconnect the battery for precaution

There's you answers its got to be one of those. If you can't locate it by a close inspection or correct it by making sure your pants are tight, using a small butane torch and waving it over the fuel system components will help isolate the problem!!!

I knew this was coming...but still funny :hysterical: ...I can just see some moron going around the car looking for leaks with his zipper down and butane torch in hand :confused:

the tank was about 3/4 empty. The smell was so strong that my wife was getting sick. I would take it to a dealer but it only did it twice.

The incident that I was referring to, I believe, involved the connections between the fuel pumps and the fuel line, which are directly under the back seat (accessed through two removable panels in the floor board). They had not been 100% secured during assembly process and worked loose on a road trip. In that particular case, the connection came all the way off soaking the underside of the car and emptying the tank in just a few short miles.

It doesn't "sound" like yours is completely disconnected, but it's worth a look just for safety's sake.

Archived