TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad luck/aggrivation/more $ spent

iceman

Most of you know I like to mod my car a little bit. I have accepted that I will at some point make a mod I don't like and have to reverse it and likely eat the money assoiciated with that mod. Sadly - that time came this week end....along with an irritating string of bad luck.

I have decided the blower update will be required sooner rather than later so in an effort to prepare for that I decided I needed a few things.

1. I need a fuel pressure gauge - but I like my 2 gauges now (boost & A/F) so I decided to order a 3 pod A-pillar mount with the rapto claw option since I figured I may as well get the shift light on there while I'm doing this. The A-Pillar showed up today....3 pod mount with raptor claw for a coupe.....only my car is a vert!!!! Lethal performance was very cool and is sending out the new one and having Fed-ex pick up the wrong one at my door in the morning. Not sure how but their paper invoice says coupe but when you look at the order online it says vert?????

2. I needed some drag radials - I have ET Streets for the track but need a bit more traction for the street for sure. I decided to head up to Discount tire and get the Nittos put on. I like the lower profile tire so i got the 305/35/18 on the rear and didn't want a taller tire on the front so I ordered a 245/40/18. They were installed and during that process is where the horror starts. I stood watching as the genius taking my tire off tried to put a crow bar in to pry off the tire. not in a nice way either. This had damaged Rim all over it. He was promptly stopped and the machine was used properly....all was good for both fronts. Well - the genius then did the rears and broke not 1 but 2 pressure sensor bands. The asst. manager and the team of 4 that had a combined IQ of just over 32 managed to get the band back together and re clamper on both and put on the new tires. I took my stock tires home with me and thought as I left - "I'm never going back to that hell hole again". Well on Friday night on my way to the lake house in MI I got a tire sensor fault message......it cleared by itself??? Then about 3 miles later it came back. I cleared that one and it didn't come back.....until half way home on Sunday when it came on to stay. It clears easy enough but anytime I start the car that is staring me in the face. I went back to the pit called "Discount Tire" on Monday with 2 issues. The message relating to the sensors being the first and in addition I decided the front tired had something wrong with them. They were the 555's and on a hard turn I was practically on rim. They rolled under and were just not feeling right. I had develloped a vibration that from 65-110 had the radar detector bouncing off the window. I wanted my stock fronts back on....and here's where they had the issue "and my money refunded for those 2 tires". They wanted to exchange for other tires and I just wanted the stock tires back. it eventually came down to words like litigation being dropped and fraud based on the charges for destroying my old tires that i took home. I advised that the smart move would be to get me back on the road and out of there unless he waqs certain it was an honest mistake and when we went through records we wouldn't find that charge on all of the bills. After a little more discussion (a gentle term) they caved and put the money back on my card and the tires back on my car. I still have the band issues and am waiting for them to get the new bands in. I'm debating on if I'll bother letting them touch the car again for the rears. I think that I'll pay the fee to another place to put them on most likely. SOB's

In the end the stock fronts and Nitto 305/35 DR's look OK. I can't say good but I wouldn't say bad either. The ride is much better than with the 555's too despite the geniuse putting 40 lbs of air on one side and 36 on the other. I've corrected that and re-balanced the fronts already....they guys at the local ford dealer did it for free for me.

The only good to come of this whole thing with them was I was motivated to buy my 19" rims and get the tires I wanted (BFG KDW's - 295/35/19 in rear and 275/35/19 in front) so i put in the order for those and my rims with CCW today. I should have my new dogs on in 2 weeks or so....about the time I get over the Discount tire mess. Last time I shop for my Shelby at discount anything!

No offense to any fans of Discount tire - I've been to other branches and had no issue. This was a newer store and I expect based on my experience they will not last. Comp. is already in across the street too. Done venting.

For future reference when looking for tires check with the local Ford Dealer. IF they can get the same tires in many cases they will match or beat any price. A lot of people don't realize this and just assume that a dealership will always cost a lot more.

Labor rates are usually higher, but on tires they can be very competitive. So when you get a price from somewhere check and see if they can get the tires and match or beat the price. Then you don't have to get stuck with some $7 per hour kid installing your tires.

For future reference when looking for tires check with the local Ford Dealer. IF they can get the same tires in many cases they will match or beat any price. A lot of people don't realize this and just assume that a dealership will always cost a lot more.

Labor rates are usually higher, but on tires they can be very competitive. So when you get a price from somewhere check and see if they can get the tires and match or beat the price. Then you don't have to get stuck with some $7 per hour kid installing your tires.

Agreed - and $7/hr would be too much for this group. They should be paid less than the illegals in the corn fields.

idiots ... is all i can say ....

I advised that the smart move would be to get me back on the road and out of there unless he waqs certain it was an honest mistake and when we went through records we wouldn't find that charge on all of the bills. After a little more discussion (a gentle term) they caved and put the money back on my card and the tires back on my car.

Ice, sorry to hear that! Will they be covering the cost of the new bands also? Given your stature, it's not suprising that they caved! I wouldn't want some PO'd ex-boxer in my face either.

Did you decide on the TVS or the KB blower upgrade?

Most of you know I like to mod my car a little bit. I have accepted that I will at some point make a mod I don't like and have to reverse it and likely eat the money assoiciated with that mod. Sadly - that time came this week end....along with an irritating string of bad luck.

I have decided the blower update will be required sooner rather than later so in an effort to prepare for that I decided I needed a few things.

1. I need a fuel pressure gauge - but I like my 2 gauges now (boost & A/F) so I decided to order a 3 pod A-pillar mount with the rapto claw option since I figured I may as well get the shift light on there while I'm doing this. The A-Pillar showed up today....3 pod mount with raptor claw for a coupe.....only my car is a vert!!!! Lethal performance was very cool and is sending out the new one and having Fed-ex pick up the wrong one at my door in the morning. Not sure how but their paper invoice says coupe but when you look at the order online it says vert?????

2. I needed some drag radials - I have ET Streets for the track but need a bit more traction for the street for sure. I decided to head up to Discount tire and get the Nittos put on. I like the lower profile tire so i got the 305/35/18 on the rear and didn't want a taller tire on the front so I ordered a 245/40/18. They were installed and during that process is where the horror starts. I stood watching as the genius taking my tire off tried to put a crow bar in to pry off the tire. not in a nice way either. This had damaged Rim all over it. He was promptly stopped and the machine was used properly....all was good for both fronts. Well - the genius then did the rears and broke not 1 but 2 pressure sensor bands. The asst. manager and the team of 4 that had a combined IQ of just over 32 managed to get the band back together and re clamper on both and put on the new tires. I took my stock tires home with me and thought as I left - "I'm never going back to that hell hole again". Well on Friday night on my way to the lake house in MI I got a tire sensor fault message......it cleared by itself??? Then about 3 miles later it came back. I cleared that one and it didn't come back.....until half way home on Sunday when it came on to stay. It clears easy enough but anytime I start the car that is staring me in the face. I went back to the pit called "Discount Tire" on Monday with 2 issues. The message relating to the sensors being the first and in addition I decided the front tired had something wrong with them. They were the 555's and on a hard turn I was practically on rim. They rolled under and were just not feeling right. I had develloped a vibration that from 65-110 had the radar detector bouncing off the window. I wanted my stock fronts back on....and here's where they had the issue "and my money refunded for those 2 tires". They wanted to exchange for other tires and I just wanted the stock tires back. it eventually came down to words like litigation being dropped and fraud based on the charges for destroying my old tires that i took home. I advised that the smart move would be to get me back on the road and out of there unless he waqs certain it was an honest mistake and when we went through records we wouldn't find that charge on all of the bills. After a little more discussion (a gentle term) they caved and put the money back on my card and the tires back on my car. I still have the band issues and am waiting for them to get the new bands in. I'm debating on if I'll bother letting them touch the car again for the rears. I think that I'll pay the fee to another place to put them on most likely. SOB's

In the end the stock fronts and Nitto 305/35 DR's look OK. I can't say good but I wouldn't say bad either. The ride is much better than with the 555's too despite the geniuse putting 40 lbs of air on one side and 36 on the other. I've corrected that and re-balanced the fronts already....they guys at the local ford dealer did it for free for me.

The only good to come of this whole thing with them was I was motivated to buy my 19" rims and get the tires I wanted (BFG KDW's - 295/35/19 in rear and 275/35/19 in front) so i put in the order for those and my rims with CCW today. I should have my new dogs on in 2 weeks or so....about the time I get over the Discount tire mess. Last time I shop for my Shelby at discount anything!

No offense to any fans of Discount tire - I've been to other branches and had no issue. This was a newer store and I expect based on my experience they will not last. Comp. is already in across the street too. Done venting.

I had a similar experience at Dobbs in Waterloo. I went into the store for the third time to have my Nitto's removed and the stockers installed, as the tire tech was breaking my tire down, the manager walked up to me and said "If we break your wheel, I'm not buying you a new one". To make a long story shorter I ended up going to Firestone down the street, the manager owns a Termy and treated my Shelby as if it were his own. Next time I need tire for any of my cars, they have my business, don't think I'll be using their name brand though :hysterical2:

Ice, sorry to hear that! Will they be covering the cost of the new bands also? Given your stature, it's not suprising that they caved! I wouldn't want some PO'd ex-boxer in my face either.

Did you decide on the TVS or the KB blower upgrade?

I am going to go with the KB as it sits today. Nothing is a sure thing until it's bolted on.....and I decide I like it. Believe it or not I really never lost my mind with these bone heads. It's the one in Noblesville off of 37 incase you were wondering - and the sales guys are actually pretty decent. It's the manager and the "Special" guys doing the installs I have issues with. They are paying for the bands so at least they decided to take the high road there. It actually wasn't my stature that scared them as much as the fact that I was on the phone with my lawyers (for a completely different issue) while in the middle of it. I made it a point to tell them I had to take the call it was my law team calling.....which was true. I just left out the part about it being about my kid's hospital problems and having zero to do with them.....very shortly after that call came in is when i started saying things like litigation and fraud. I then asked if they wanted to refund my monay and change things back or not and when he started to try the pick another tire thing i just shut up and walked out. He was at the car before i shut the door willing to do what ever I wanted.....Had he called my bluff I would have had to eat the cost and save face by going to Ford for a fix to all of it. I'm hoping they are as tired of me as I am of them and will just give me the new bands so i can go have them installed at Ford. I really don't want them taking my wheels off again.

Ugh - this won't go away. Went to get the new straps and due to the others bareaking the O2 sensors are now busted too. $85 bucks each for those and $65 for the tin straps to put on tires I won't even be using in a week or two. I'm going to be an ass and get it done because i want to have to option of the stock tires in the garage. Not sure why but I do.

Just sent e-mail to the CEO of Discount tire because I'm tired of dealing with the local store. I thought about sending it to the owner/chairman as he seems like a decent guy from the research I've done but decided he'd be less likely to do anything about it than the CEO which is probably going to do nothing but forward to the regional guy and then the local staore and I'll be back dealing with the same doomass that I was already. I'm done with it now as I don't want the agrivation of them touching my care again after the air pressure came back all over the place in the tires they put on and the other mess they caused. I'd rather pay the $ for the peace of mind......but if anyone does go to Discount tire check the paperwork if you keep your tires and let me know if they charge you a fee for tire disposal. I'm interested to see if they are doing it to anyone or if it maybe was an honest mistake. If they do it to everyone that's a lot of of money as I can't imagine everyone just leaves their tires there to be disposed of. I'd love to catch them at that little game just to be a thorn in their side.

Archived