TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT500 Build Numbers

KingCobra

I called SVT this morning and they said that they would have te build certificates and build numbers ready by the end of this week or beginning of next week.

There would be a cost for the certificates, and they will be around $40-60.

Just wanted everybody to know.

KingCobra.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Availability: :happy feet:

Charging for them: :rant:

I had a phone conversation with someone at SVT a few weeks back and we discussed the concept of "charging" for the certificates. He said that since SVT had been reorganized, that this was a way for them to help keep the department running (finance wise). At the time, plans weren't finallized and there was talk of a "deluxe" presentation quality pkg that would cost around $100.

I explained to him that some of us are putting all of our spare "jack" out there to fund the car itself and might not feel it was feasible to purchase a $100 certificate. I asked him if there would be a resource made available for owners to email or call their vin # in and get their production data. He said "If we did that then no one would purchase the certificates." He was actually fairly defensive about it.

I did, for the record, thank him for his time in talking with me and I told him I understood he didn't have to share any of the info he did with me.

I understand business and I understand making money but what I don't understand is how they can charge even $40 for a certificate telling us about our cars and keep that data from us if we don't purchase it. :glare: :glare: That whole concept seems a little greedy to me.

I suppose that $40 will get us a certificate that we will never forget. At least for $40-$60 they better at least kiss me on the back of the neck when I order it. :D :D

Will I order it? I suppose. Will I like it? Probably not.

Business is business, but don't you habve to be able to sleep at night????????

CB

I had a phone conversation with someone at SVT a few weeks back and we discussed the concept of "charging" for the certificates. He said that since SVT had been reorganized, that this was a way for them to help keep the department running (finance wise). At the time, plans weren't finallized and there was talk of a "deluxe" presentation quality pkg that would cost around $100.

I explained to him that some of us are putting all of our spare "jack" out there to fund the car itself and might not feel it was feasible to purchase a $100 certificate. I asked him if there would be a resource made available for owners to email or call their vin # in and get their production data. He said "If we did that then no one would purchase the certificates." He was actually fairly defensive about it.

I did, for the record, thank him for his time in talking with me and I told him I understood he didn't have to share any of the info he did with me.

I understand business and I understand making money but what I don't understand is how they can charge even $40 for a certificate telling us about our cars and keep that data from us if we don't purchase it. :glare: :glare: That whole concept seems a little greedy to me.

I suppose that $40 will get us a certificate that we will never forget. At least for $40-$60 they better at least kiss me on the back of the neck when I order it. :D :D

CB

Yeah charging for it just doesnt seem right. It should just be made available...

Thanks for the Added Info CB...

You better make sure they buy you a few drinks before you start letting them

kiss you on the back of the neck though :hysterical:

Well, I'm sure there were a lot of promises made in the argument to keep the SVT unit around. Now that Ford pulled the trigger to keep the unit running, I'm sure the big wigs are waiting for the promised result. Pulling in a half million bucks in "Certificate Fees" will go a long way in showing the Ford leadership that SVT can find ways to pull in a little extra cash. Just another example of political positioning, I suppose.

I'll pay the money, but I don't have to like it.

I don't like it one bit...what ever happened to the days when I got my 99 leather SVT jacket with vin number stiched in the inner pocket and SVT Build Certificates all for nothing...

It's funny how we all dont like it but most of us will buy it regardless...

They got us right where they want us in the pocket book..

:bowdown:

Gee, with a little Photoshop work, we could make up our certificates. :idea::idea:

According to the gentleman I spoke with at SVT, the production numbers will not be made available ANYWHERE except through teh purchase of one of their fine certificates.

Short curlies is right.... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Just remember Ford, that folks don't forget things like this.

CB

CB

My understanding was you could call in and give your vin and they will just tell you what your build number is.

Now if you want a certificate to document that number then you will probably have to pay for that. So his statement that no one would buy them then is BS. Most if not all will buy them just to have some form of documentation to have as proof of what their build number is.

So lets assume I just called and gave my vin number. They say, OK, your car is number 1,856. Great! Thank You!

Later I want to sell it or something. This car is number 1,856. Really? How do I know that??? Says who? Why SVT told me! Yeah, right! What kind of proof is that???

So I imagine most people will still buy the certificate just to have proof and documentation that their car is in fact the build number it is.

Hopefully it includes a complete breakdown on how many of each color and color combinations they built and how many of each with what options. They did say they will have all that data so maybe that will be what the extra amount will be for?

My understanding was you could call in and give your vin and they will just tell you what your build number is.

Now if you want a certificate to document that number then you will probably have to pay for that. So his statement that no one would buy them then is BS. Most if not all will buy them just to have some form of documentation to have as proof of what their build number is.

So lets assume I just called and gave my vin number. They say, OK, your car is number 1,856. Great! Thank You!

Later I want to sell it or something. This car is number 1,856. Really? How do I know that??? Says who? Why SVT told me! Yeah, right! What kind of proof is that???

So I imagine most people will still buy the certificate just to have proof and documentation that their car is in fact the build number it is.

Hopefully it includes a complete breakdown on how many of each color and color combinations they built and how many of each with what options. They did say they will have all that data so maybe that will be what the extra amount will be for?

Dude,

If the build info is given out over the phone, then those of us that don't wish to purchase the cert can hold off. If they don't give out the build info, then shame on them.

In the end (mine), I will purchase the cert to have all the documentation I can for my car.

Thanks for the info byt the way, you're always very helpful.

CB

Dude,

If the build info is given out over the phone, then those of us that don't wish to purchase the cert can hold off. If they don't give out the build info, then shame on them.

In the end (mine), I will purchase the cert to have all the documentation I can for my car.

Thanks for the info byt the way, you're always very helpful.

CB

I would imagine that all the build info will end up posted in many places after some people buy the info from them. So anyone that doesn't want to pay for can wait and they will get off the net after someone posts the info.

Of course this won't tell you what your build number is and even if SVT tells you your build number over the phone it still doesn't give you any documentation on it. So most will buy that just have it.

I will buy it just to have it and if it cost more to get all the info available on total numbers I will probably buy that as well just to have that documentation also rather than just getting it from being posted somewhere.

Not exactly where I was thinking....but, like everyone else I will purchase it

Why didn't they just absorb it into the price of the car and nobody would of known (there goes ford's backwards thinking again) I will probably get one but I think it should of been included with the car just like the last SVT cars, same goes for the Shelby plaques :banghead:

I'm going to wait until everyone else has purchased theirs. Whatever number is left is mine and it's FREE. Just kidding, but I have to say when I bought my car from the Ford Dealership they were great. Very friendly and made me a deal I was happy with. But since my purchase I have been nickel and dime for every little thing. This is just one more way to squeeze the last pennies from my ever shrinking wallet. I'm very disappointed in SVT. I can understand charging for the paper and printing and even the time, but I think there is far too much profit in $40-$60.

I am serenely not sorry that I bought this car as it is bad a$$. On the other hand Ford is doing Us a disservice by charging us for certificates.

The red stripe package got special floor mats with there cars and they changed a lot of the options in the middle of the middle year. Some of them I would have liked to have had.

I would like to have a leather jacket but I can understand why I cant have one however all we are asking for is a piece of paper.

I am sure that those of us that had to pay over sticker for our cars are mad at the dealers for that.

I cant believe that Ford wants a piece of this pie also.

Do I want my cert hell ya.

Will i pay the adm hell ya.

Will I like it hell ya.

I'll end up paying too...but it sure would have been a class act for Ford/SVT to include it with the car (along with a thank you note for purchasing an SVT product)...SVT could have done this right and made it a positive markerting event as well. Imagine that you are checking out a GT500 on the dealer's floor and next the the window sticker is an SVT sticker PROUDLY announcing the fact that this is a limited HIGH PERFORMANCE EDITION vehicle and the original owner will recieve an official SVT Certificate of Authenticity....would have increased the showroom buzz factor for sure....I'm sure it's just me - but sometimes common sense seems to be lacking at Ford...especially with such small but high profile decisions... :rolleyes:

A sharp dealer could notify GT500 customers that they will be ordering their certificates and to stop by the dealership and pick them up...could even have a picture of the owner by the car being handed the certificate.... :headspin:

As far as SVT needing the $$'s...if you can't turn a profit after selling every single item in your inventory, at FULL price - then you need to go back to business school 101...just my .02...cheers

I called SVT (1-800-FORDSVT) in July because somewhere in this forum it was posted that the SVT built certificates would be available in July. I asked the person that answered the phone for an SVT built cert. He told me it would be $40.00 and asked for my vin#. I gave it to him and he said,"oh wait, that's a GT500, they're not available yet". Then he quickly added that the cost for those would be more than the usual $40.00. He didn't know how much exactly because it hadn't been determined. Then he said it would be August as they were still counting and compiling info.

I called yesterday and was told they are almost finished with the numbers and because it is a Shelby-Ford venture the numbers had to be approved by two sets of attorneys due to potential infringement rights etc. He asked me for my cell phone number and advised someone would call me when they're ready. I forgot to ask if they had the $ number for the cert yet, probably because I'll pay what ever it is to have the documentation. I won't cry too much as I paid MSRP for the car.

If it were # 120 out of 279 built it would have more meaning. # 10, 300 out of 11,??? doesn't have much meaning to me. I wonder what build number my wife's Grand Marquis is? But for those who want one, I can understand the concern for having to pay for it. Most paid at least 50K at the low end and you would have thought things like this would have been included. When you bought a Grand National you got a leather jacket and other things. (or was it just the GNX?) This is no ordinary car dispite the production amount. Some of the hipe or celebration during the purchase that some buyers recieved was sponsered by a few limited dealerships only. For what we paid for this car we should get this silly little piece of papper for FREE and a big thank you what else can we do for you letter and dinner and a movie before the*&^&%&%

Too bad there wasn't a named Tropical storm or hurricaine formed the day I bought my car, I could have got them for price gouging !!!

Does any body have the phone end E- mail? lets set up a time and date to have 8,000 plus shelby owners call them and voice our displeasure on this! Some of the costs of these mods are way overpriced. Maybe we need a section on the forum for combating these issues?

Archived