TEAM SHELBY FORUM

T/C On or Off

phr3121

Ok, I've been hearing a lot of different opinions on this topic:

When racing your Shelby GT500 do you have the T/C (traction control) ON or OFF?

So, what is the best answer if you:

1. Have a “stock” Shelby on regular street tires?

2. Run it on a ¼ mile track (stock)?

3. Run it on the streets (stock)?

4. Run it with modifications to the rear suspension?

Thanks…..

Thanks…..

I don't have the best answer, I just ran mine at the dragstrip (stock) for the first time last week but some observances I made were:

With traction control on, it seemed to hurt my times just a little. Maybe the car was compensating for wheel spin?

With T/C off, I absolutely had wheel spin. I suppose with practice you can limit wheel spin and put down some good times but I was disappointed with mine. I think stickier tires will help tremendously. I was launching at about 2500 rpms, I'm going to try launching at 2K next time to see if it helps but I'm waiting for cooler weather first.

Regardless, if you go you'll have a blast.

Thanks…..

On street tires, I'd recommend launching at about 2500 but don't floor it. Go about 3/4 throttle till the spin lets up, then floor it. I seem to do fairly well on the street like this. I haven't ran this Shelby at the dragstrip on street tires. I've got the Mickey's now so I can't see any point in sending the Goodyears up in smoke. The car I had before this(another 2007 GT500), I ran on street tires at the strip; however, I left the traction control on for every run. I had planned to turn it off after the first run but after I heard about Jeff(Sprint200) getting sideways and looking at the wall in his Grabber Orange GT500 we both played it conservative after that. I ran 13.14 with T/C on but really feel that if I'd turned it off on that day I could have ran 12's. Are you planning on a trip to the Tulsa dragstrip. If so, let me know and I'll see if I can make it up.

I've run it both ways. I'd say if you're an experienced driver, you'll likely want T/C off. However, as I'm not...I did better with it on. Perhaps with more practice on the strip I'll try it off again. Last time I did I was too excited and didn't feather the gas enough....wheelspin.

Dave

Thanks guys! The consensus seems to be t/c off, even though I read in other posts that some folks are running faster with t/c on. Kind of odd! It seems like it is a give and take as some folks have mentioned, t/c on will help you launch without wheel spin but will slow you down in the long run. With t/c off you will spin & hop at the start but run faster down the strip.

I think the answer is to have t/c off and work on your launch techniques. RPMs @ 2000 and ½ to ¾ on the throttle. I’m still practicing and will keep you posted.

* On a separate note: With the custom shifting handle, anyone missing a gear when shifting quickly, or having difficulty shifting gears fast enough to cut down on your time?

TC off does give you quicker time but has anyone tried launching with TC on and then turning it off after first gear?

Like use it to launch and then cut it off to gain faster time.

I know one other person who has done just that and got it to work. It still slowed him down on the run. The problem is getting your hands off the shifting handle and your eyes off the road looking for the "little" t/c button. My quick "hand-eye-finger" coordination has not yet reached that stage! Plus I think you would loose time in trying to do it that way....

TC off does give you quicker time but has anyone tried launching with TC on and then turning it off after first gear?

Like use it to launch and then cut it off to gain faster time.

It would seem to me that if you got to the point where you didn't need the TC on it wouldn't hurt your times to just keep it on.

Archived