TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California Smog Certification 2010 Supersnake

So I went to get my 2010 Supersnake smog certified today and the tech told me that the Kenne Bell supercharger was listed only for Mustangs year 2005-2009. This is the first year he has said anything to me about my supercharger (I take it to the same guy every year). He passed me this time, but said I should check into it. I'm guessing I might have more trouble next time. ARB Executive order D-271-17 does in fact say Mustangs 2005-2009.

20200707_122257.jpg.4e541df2563ee2a6ca514a67782bcdf8.jpg

Do I have the wrong sticker? Should it be ARB E.O. NO. D-271-28? Am I correct assuming my problem is just an incorrect sticker number?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

d-271-28.jpg

I did some digging on the Kenne Bell site and found a link under FAQ to this.......

EO: D-271-20   View PDF
EO Date: 2011-06-28
Manufacturer Name: Kenne Bell, Inc.
Device: TS Series Supercharger
Device Type: Supercharger System / Supercharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
  2007 through 2012 GT500 Mustang   

The 2007 to 2012 model year Ford 5.4L Shelby GT500/KR Supercharger Kit consists of the following main components: Twin screw supercharger designed to replace the stock supercharger, modified ECM calibration, Ford GT style air intake system and mass air flow sensor, 75 mm throttle body, and a conical air filter in a new air box. The stock crankshaft pulley is retained. There are no changes or modifications to any of the following: vacuum or emission related hoses, fuel injectors, or radiator thermostat. Maximum boost is 12 psi. 

Edited by Robert M

Which had a .pdf that related to this......

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-271-20.pdf

So now the question is......If the date on this documentation is 2011, was there a different E.O. number for the cars before 2011? or multiple E.O.'s and the E.O. number changed as they were newer models and emissions monitoring differences.......like the 2011 had a different O2 sensor set up from the 2007-2010, etc......

R

Edited by Robert M

So further research on the Kenne Bell site in the FAQ shows your E.O number, which does include the Shelby GT500 in the description, but only up to 2009. This document is dated mid-late 2008......

EO: D-271-17    View PDF
EO Date: 2008-09-05
Manufacturer Name: Kenne Bell, Inc.
Device: TS Series Supercharger
Device Type: Supercharger System / Supercharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
See PDF  1986 to 2009 Ford vehicles    The 2005 to 2009 model year Ford Mustang TS Series Supercharger Kit consists of the following main components: Twin screw supercharger using the stock crankshaft pulley, intercooler, intake manifold, bypass valve, a 170 degree thermostat to replace the stock thermostat, 39 pound high flow injectors, mass air flow sensor, reflashed ECM, open element air filter on 2005 model year built after April 30, 2005 and 2006 model year Mustangs only, and electronic fuel pump booster. The stock air cleaner housing is retained on 2005 model year built on or before April 30, 2005, and 2007 to 2009 model year Mustangs. The breather and vacuum hoses may be replaced with an SAE30R9 rated hose. The 2007 to 2009 model year Ford 5.4L Shelby GT500 Supercharger Kit consists of the following main components: Twin screw supercharger with a 3.25 inch diameter pulley designed to replace the stock supercharger, a 180 degree thermostat to replace the stock thermostat, modified ECM calibration, Ford GT style air intake system and mass air flow sensor, 75 mm throttle body, and a conical air filter in a new air box. The stock crankshaft pulley is retained. There are no changes or modifications to any of the following: vacuum or emission related hoses, fuel injectors, or radiator thermostat. The TS Series Supercharger kit, for other Ford vehicles, includes the following main components: A twin screw type supercharger, intake manifold, and open element air filter. Additional components, as listed in Exhibit A, include an ECU chip or an optimizer, an auxiliary fuel injector, and/or a fuel management booster. The breather and vacuum hoses may be replaced with an SAE30R9 rated hos

ABOVE^^^It copied and pasted weird, but read down about half way and the GT500 is specifically mentioned.

And then the related .pdf, also specifically mentioning GT500, but 2007-2009, not 2010.....

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-271-17.pdf

So my guess is that Shelby had 2.8 kits on the shelf that fit the 5.4 DOHC GT500 and your car got one of those kits that had the "then correct" 2007-2009 GT500 CA emissions sticker included in the box, and it was not until June of 2011 when a newer E.O. -20 was issued for the GT500 application........and now there has been an even newer E.O. -28 covering the GT500's . But that should not negate the earlier E.O.'s that were issued when the older cars were emissions standards certified? The only thing that could come into play is that your car is not a 2007-2009 and the 2011 E.O. changed to -20 which would cover 2007-2012 GT500.

R

Edited by Robert M

Ok, and here is the ,pdf for the E.O. -28........

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-271-28.pdf

So it is dated 2015 and covers the 2013/14 5.8 GT500's also.

In the end, yours really should be correct and covered under the E.O. -17 because nothing emissions wise changed for the 2007-2010 GT500's, the 2010 even kept the 2007-2009 2.5" oem exhaust size and O2 monitoring. Only if your guy is a "real stickler" about 2010 not being on the list, should this be an issue.....

Sorry to add so many posts......Inquiring minds had to know.......

R

A new E.O. number D-271-20 was issued in June 2011 which includes the Shelby GT500, years 2007-2012. And contains the following statement "This Executive Order is granted based on prior submitted emission test data generated on a 2007 model year 5.4L Ford Shelby GT500 certified to the Low Emission Vehicle II Low Emission Vehicle (LEV II LEV) emissions standards, modified with the TS Series Supercharger Kit.I believe the prior submitted emission test data came from E.O. D-271-17. Since E.O. -20 didn't come out until June 2011 the prior E.O. -17 should be valid for my Supersnake. Unless I'm missing something?

Wow Robert M that is a lot of digging and some really helpful information. Thank you for all your research. It is very much appreciated!!!

Edited by Destry

On 7/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, Destry said:

A new E.O. number D-271-20 was issued in June 2011 which includes the Shelby GT500, years 2007-2012. And contains the following statement "This Executive Order is granted based on prior submitted emission test data generated on a 2007 model year 5.4L Ford Shelby GT500 certified to the Low Emission Vehicle II Low Emission Vehicle (LEV II LEV) emissions standards, modified with the TS Series Supercharger Kit.I believe the prior submitted emission test data came from E.O. D-271-17. Since E.O. -20 didn't come out until June 2011 the prior E.O. -17 should be valid for my Supersnake. Unless I'm missing something?

Wow Robert M that is a lot of digging and some really helpful information. Thank you for all your research. It is very much appreciated!!!

Thank you, and yes.......but how could your car be expected or required to have a -20 E.O. sticker (dated mid-2011) or a -28 E.O. sticker (dated mid to late-2015) when those E.O's were dated well past the time of your cars build/certification? Your emission tester needs to dig a little deeper into the certs (and dates of certs.) for your model year, I believe the -17 will be found to be acceptable once a little more research is done at the tester level. "If" by chance you are required to have the E.O. -20 or even more current E.O. -28, you will need to contact KB. If you need an email address for Rick @ KB, I can give it to you  via a private message. I am not sure if they have reopened yet for phone calls, after the Corona shut down......

Best bet is going to be to print this stuff out and keep in the glove box for the next go round and questions at testing time...... 

R

Edited by Robert M