TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR New wheels

Gonna start driving my 08 GT500KR more often maybe even a little track use and Do Not want to take a chance on damaging the original Alcoa KR wheels so I plan to put new wheels on it. One wheel I like a lot is the Shelby CS11 and KR has the Shelby/Baer Claw front brakes and does anyone know if there is any Caliper clearance issues? Same question for rears if ever upgrade those brakes?

I also like the Shelby CS70 wheel as well and I prefer a 19" wheel but it seems most wheels are 20"'s or 18"'s

Anyone have any suggestions for a wheel that would look great on these KR's? Want to use a Silver or Satin or Gunmetal color only

If anyone has extra 08-09 GT500KR parts they want to unload send me a PM and tell me what u got?

thx

I am not clear on exactly which wheels you are asking about in terms of rear brake clearance.  I run KR wheels on my SGT and have AP Racing brakes front and back.  I tried to attached a photo of my rear brakes with the KR wheels on but the image size is apparently too big.  Bottom line, I have not heard of anyone having an issue with any big brake setup on the front or rear wheels when using KR wheels.  Good luck on the hunt for track wheels.  Pay attention to how much each wheel weighs as unsprung weight is something you want to keep as low as possible when on the track.

Jim

Edited by clark17357
spelling error

NO I am taking the KR wheels off to preserve them and replacing them with either wheel I listed and in SAI's comments below wheel it says check clearance on big brakes

Thanks for the clarification.  Before I bought my KR wheels, I bought wheels from American Muscle and it was the rear wheels that did not clear the big brakes.  It took the efforts of some here on Team Shelby, notably Michael Bruno, to persuade American Muscle to do the right thing when I found that their wheels did not clear the rear.  What I would suggest is that, when you decide upon the vendor from whom you will buy your wheels, get it in writing from them that their wheels, front and back, have enough clearance for the big brakes (specify the brakes to them by make and model number) you are installing on your car.

Wise to keep your KR wheels safe.  I bought mine used of course and they look good.  But when I had the opportunity to buy four of them brand new in the box (with TPMS sensors) directly from Ford Racing when Ford Racing sold off the remaining inventory, I jumped at that opportunity.  First time around, I ran the standard GT500 staggered set up.  When I replaced my tires (just recently), I went with a squared set up with 275s, which is the set up I run with my racing tires.  I can't speak for those with a GT500, but, for the SGT, 275s on all four corners works well.  I know the GT500s and SGTs have differences in both total weight and how that weight is distributed so that might be part of it.

Enjoy yourself on the track.  With the power your car has, it has always been the case that bigger brakes allow you to have matching motor power and stopping power.  You will find that your entire experience on the track will change when you have the big brakes as part of the mix.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Updated question... anyone who has changed the wheels on your KR whether you went with a 20" or 19" rim what is the largest tire you were able to fit all around or front and back?

These KR rims cannot be replaced so I plan to take them off to preserve them and gonna use either Shelby wheel CS11 or CS70 or if someone has a great suggestion that would look very good on the Silver KR?

NO one changed their KR rims, guess that is a NO, ok so anyone who has changed their rim size on any 08-09 GT500 if using 20" wheel what is max tire size in the front?

• 2 months later...