TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guest markham51

On 6/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, sudden said:

O.K. here is my 2 cents worth.  It is an automatic, mini van style.  Basically a stock coyote motor that has its internals beefed, and a supercharger.  Needs 800 hp to be competitive and is going to have a huge ADM.  It will keep my O8 gt 500.  Sudden

It will blow the older GT500's away in every measurable aspect of performance. That's what the DCT is for. If one isn't interested in track and drag performance- by all means, enjoy the car shows and on-ramp heroics with an older, inferior car. 

The 2020 GT500's unique cross-plane 5.2L engine, "Predator," is Ford's high-tech modular design and features a new Eaton 2.65L supercharger, not a stock Coyote. If you want something more unique, be prepared to spend at least 3X more. 

Chevy's Vette still uses the same pushrod design from the 1950's and can be found in most cars, trucks and SUV's. Dodge still uses ancient hemi technology in their barges. Not sure where your cynicism is coming from. 

I cant attest to the accuracy here, but it appears there is supposedly an offical Ford Mustang Twitter page that is slowly releasing the horsepower number for the 2020 GT500 via  online jigsaw puzzle pieces with the possibility of it being totally revealed Tuesday or Wednesday of this week if enough response occurs..I'm not a twitter person but it currently looks like it can fall anywhere from 730 to 790  hp per the puzzle pieces so far revealed. You can observe it here:

https://twitter.com/fordmustang?lang=en

On 6/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, Secondo said:

It will blow the older GT500's away in every measurable aspect of performance. That's what the DCT is for. If one isn't interested in track and drag performance- by all means, enjoy the car shows and on-ramp heroics with an older, inferior car. 

The 2020 GT500's unique cross-plane 5.2L engine, "Predator," is Ford's high-tech modular design and features a new Eaton 2.65L supercharger, not a stock Coyote. If you want something more unique, be prepared to spend at least 3X more. 

Chevy's Vette still uses the same pushrod design from the 1950's and can be found in most cars, trucks and SUV's. Dodge still uses ancient hemi technology in their barges. Not sure where your cynicism is coming from. 

Do you still have your old inferior car .😊 

Yes ,  Older gt 500 has more of Shelby in it, more soul and torque, not only the looks.  Inferior, Yes, Slower, Yes but way more like a Shelby then a wannabe Porsche or corvette.  It has it own personality with a tremec 6 speed to have fun with.  And gee, a real clutch peddle, just old school.  Mini van shifter not for me.  SUDDEN.

:doh:The shifters are on the steering wheel and the transmission was co-developed by Ford and Tremec specifically for the GT500 to beat the competition, not just to look cool getting groceries.

I see the troll old schoolers here want Ford to keep their cars in the dark ages. Thankfully, that's not gonna happen. Technology improves and with it, performance. No need to criticize the new car because you're enjoying your clutch pedal. It's hard to believe there's cynics among Shelby owners here, even when Ford designs a brand-new home-run supercar Shelby GT500. 

2 hours ago, Secondo said:

I'm referring to the drivetrain. 

Ah. Well DCT is not exactly new technology either. Starting in 2003 the Volkswagen Golf R32, which made it to America, came equipped with a DCT.  Ford has been using in DCT Europe for quite some time now as well.  

It’s possible it’s a culture thing for acceptance.  NASCAR and NHRA have influenced our preferences while F1 and Rally have played major roles abroad.

I’m on your side of the table here.  I think once DCT is accepted in the US it will quickly become the performance car standard. A 10 gear torq converted ZL1 1LE or the Red Eye’s 8 speed auto pulled out of a Ram isn’t even in the same league as DCT performance.  

Edited by mfield2a

9 hours ago, mfield2a said:

Ah. Well DCT is not exactly new technology either. Starting in 2003 the Volkswagen Golf R32, which made it to America, came equipped with a DCT.  Ford has been using in DCT Europe for quite some time now as well.  

It’s possible it’s a culture thing for acceptance.  NASCAR and NHRA have influenced our preferences while F1 and Rally have played major roles abroad.

I’m on your side of the table here.  I think once DCT is accepted in the US it will quickly become the performance car standard. A 10 gear torq converted ZL1 1LE or the Red Eye’s 8 speed auto pulled out of a Ram isn’t even in the same league as DCT performance.  

Right. What I'm talking about here is a car that was purpose-built to be the best performing car that it could be, drivetrain-wise, from the ground-up, not with parts and components from other vehicles nor advice from show-off cars and coffee wanna-be on-ramp hero trolls here. Not talking about DCT's in old Volkswagens :boring: . I'm talking about the DCT, Predator engine with Eaton supercharger and other components were newly and specifically co-designed and built by Tremec, Eaton and Ford for this car's highest performance. Ford put their best effort into this beast and should be applauded for it. Unlike other companies, you won't see this drivetrain in any other Ford. Same with the GT350. 

I think Ford with this new 2020 GT500  has nailed it. It is a car that shows Ford is not caught up in some ridiculous old school mentality and are truly looking to the future. Ford has built a car on their terms and not in response to competition or response to some ridiculous “horsepower war”. The car was developed with performance and “customer experience” in mind and they could care less about beating some competitor’s horsepower number. The aero, and suspension refinements and engine refinements are what they focused on. They also get that the current and future performance car buyer is focused on overall performance and engine power density. Some old schoolers are thinking Ford should have come out with more hp than a Hellcat. Nah, what they did do is develop an engine that has the most power per liter than any other production engine. That is no easy task. Dodge needs 6.2 liters to make 797 hp. That’s 128.5 hp/liter. The GT500 5.2 generates 760 hp and comes in at 146.2 hp per liter. So with a GT500 Ford is getting 15% more hp per liter out of an engine that is 20% smaller.  By its very nature of being smaller it is going to weigh less and will “spin up faster than an engine with larger displacement and mass .It will also keep the car from being “nose heavy like many past GT500’s.

Like any other Mustang or Shelby released, there are a small group who will complain about changes, but the fact is the biggest reason the Mustang has had a 55+ year life is because it has changed and adapted to current market trends….. and continues to be more refined with each new model. I think if Carroll was alive today and could drive the new GT500 he would be quite pleased with what Ford has come up with. Carroll wasn’t about big wonky V-8s, manual transmissions, or giant hp numbers, he was about performance.

Let me get this right? Shelby wasn't into big honky v8s?  427 side oiler in Cobra? All first early cars were all manual trans.  He has always wanted a 200plus mile an hour hot rod.  Hot Roding is what he did, by that he meant putting the biggest motor into the smallest cars for some crazy performance.  Sudden.

Think Dodge Shelby Chargers, Omni GLH & GLHS's, Shelby Focus', all small 4-banger turbos. He was about performance, small or large displacement, N/A, turbos, superchargers, automatics and all. Some of his personal rides were autos. Back then, there were no reliable purpose-built affordable performance automatics. Until now. 

17 hours ago, sudden said:

Let me get this right? Shelby wasn't into big honky v8s?  427 side oiler in Cobra? All first early cars were all manual trans.  He has always wanted a 200plus mile an hour hot rod.  Hot Roding is what he did, by that he meant putting the biggest motor into the smallest cars for some crazy performance.  Sudden.

No argument here, believe what you want. History proves otherwise.  . It is also documented that  around 20 of the original 289 Cobras had C4 Automatics. Carroll preferred automatics for personal driving. Many of his personal cars had Automatics. He has also been quoted as preferring to drive the 289 Cobra for personal driving rather than the 427 Cobra because it handled better.  

Back to topic…....the 2020 GT500.

Ford Media has a new 2020 GT500 microsite. It has a great video with exhaust sound clips and the gt500 burning up a track. It also has a nice nod to Carroll at about 31 seconds in to the video,  the GT500 slowly pulls in to a garage and there is a single  black stetson hat hanging on the wall in the background. Nice touch. . Lots of good technical information about the development of the car on the microsite as well.

link to microsite:    http://2020gt500.ford.com/Y2019/default.aspx#functional-design

link to video:    http://s22.q4cdn.com/353171506/files/video/Angela-Diegel-GT500_B-Roll_V1_BlueCarOnly.mp4

enjoy.

2020 GT500 pricing has apparently now been leaked. I make no claim as to the accuracy. Judge for yourselves.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2020-shelby-gt500-pricing-msrp-invoice-including-packages-options.124689/

Edited by mhr1961

• 1 month later...

looks like the 2020 GT500 is going to tip the scales at 4225 pounds.......but will still pull 1.5 G's in corners

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/15/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-4225-pounds-order-guide/

Edited by mhr1961

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...